SiouxSports.com Forum

Hawks....Cows.....playoffs @ Baxter

Wilbur

10 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I've been told several times by multiple people that it's not an off ice issue. He just has not shown the ability to play defense and is at the bottom of the depth chart. Apparently he's still working hard and is being a solid teammate. 

Believe what you want, but sometimes the most obvious answer is the right one. 

He went from a solid fixture in the lineup to never playing again.  That tells me the most obvious answer is an off ice issue. 

6 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

He went from a solid fixture in the lineup to never playing again.  That tells me the most obvious answer is an off ice issue. 

I’m pretty sure that the team would have released him if that was the case. Also, why would they let him travel this weekend to Omaha. I would bet that if 2 def got hurt this weekend we would see him play.  It boils down to the coaches couldn’t gain trust in him during the losing stretch. They panicked and decided they wanted to only play the veterans.  Schloss has pretty much covered this. 

11 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

https://www.uscho.com/stats/player/mid,34065/Brent-Johnson/

#6 played 13 of 15 games from Oct 7-Dec 3.  Hasnt had a whiff of ice time since. 

Clearly this was not a performance issue, but some sort of off ice incident that occurred on or around December 3, 2022 or led up to it. 

Someone, change my mind on this …

Dare I point out 24 got healthy about Thanksgiving. 

8 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

His mother died.

The AM1100 "hockey guys" (mainly unlistenable) Saturday mentioned Berry's tough year: mom, his friend Paul Jerrard, and another family health concern involving his other parent. They didn't even get to "trademarks". 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but ... 

If all the defensemen NOT named Bast or Johnson are available we've run the extra skater as a forward. 
If one of the defensemen NOT named Bast or Johnson is out we've run with 7 D on the line-up card*. Saturday might have been an exception. 

That tells me the coaches are suspect of what they'll get from that 7/8 defender any given day. 

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but ... 

If all the defensemen NOT named Bast or Johnson are available we've run the extra skater as a forward. 
If one of the defensemen NOT named Bast or Johnson is out we've run with 7 D on the line-up card*. Saturday might have been an exception. 

That tells me the coaches are suspect of what they'll get from that 7/8 defender any given day. 

I don’t think they’re that confident in our 5/6 defenders either. 

Last Friday night our top 4 D we’re all over 22 minutes in ice time. Third pairing guys were both at 13 minutes. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Benny Baker said:

Solid fixture? Started the season top 4, playing 2nd PP unit. Slowly lost minutes and lost PP. Continued to turnover the puck consistently and pulled himself out of play. You could quite literally see the reason he was falling out of favor. All of that said, I'm just telling you what I heard from multiple people. Again, believe what you want.

1 hour ago, Siouxfancrazy92 said:

I’m pretty sure that the team would have released him if that was the case. Also, why would they let him travel this weekend to Omaha. I would bet that if 2 def got hurt this weekend we would see him play.  It boils down to the coaches couldn’t gain trust in him during the losing stretch. They panicked and decided they wanted to only play the veterans.  Schloss has pretty much covered this. 

Exactly. If here was an issue bad enough to keep him off the ice other than his play, he wouldn't be around the team.

Just now, stoneySIOUX said:

Solid fixture? Started the season top 4, playing 2nd PP unit. Slowly lost minutes and lost PP. Continued to turnover the puck consistently and pulled himself out of play. You could quite literally see the reason he was falling out of favor. All of that said, I'm just telling you what I heard from multiple people. Again, believe what you want.

Correct, solid fixture.  13 of 15 games.

12 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Has Brad ever wrote about it or is he just Barry’s puppet still?

Agreed. I think Brad does a great job writing and reporting on the convenient stuff, but he never seems to want to dig into much or ask the tough questions. I suppose that keeps him in good graces for the other stuff, but its a little frustrating as a reader.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Second season starts today.

-Do we make a run....

-Do we go two and a barbecue....

-Do we lose in OT on Sunday.....

-Do we still talk about culture....

I've still got the Mavs in 3. 

I think we win tonight.  Regardless of winning or losing tonight, winning Saturday will be very tough.  I'll count that as a loss.  I don't see us sweeping.  Sunday will be a good game, but I think our guys have the will to get it done in a tight one (1 goal regulation win - 2 if the last is ENG).  That would put us (in all likelihood) in a semi-final against Denver in St. Paul.  We'd have the crowd on our side for that one, though the NCHC semi-final has been a bugaboo for UND for years.  With backs up against the wall, and Denver maybe disinterested in expelling a great deal of energy on that game, we maybe find a way to win.  Where would that put us in the pairwise?  Enough that we wouldn't need to win the NCHC championship?  Oh hell, let's just win the NCHC championship :)

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I think we win tonight.  Regardless of winning or losing tonight, winning Saturday will be very tough.  I'll count that as a loss.  I don't see us sweeping.  Sunday will be a good game, but I think our guys have the will to get it done in a tight one (1 goal regulation win - 2 if the last is ENG).  That would put us (in all likelihood) in a semi-final against Denver in St. Paul.  We'd have the crowd on our side for that one, though the NCHC semi-final has been a bugaboo for UND for years.  With backs up against the wall, and Denver maybe disinterested in expelling a great deal of energy on that game, we maybe find a way to win.  Where would that put us in the pairwise?  Enough that we wouldn't need to win the NCHC championship?  Oh hell, let's just win the NCHC championship :)

We have a 1.5% chance of finishing in the top 13 and a 2.5% chance of finishing in the top 14 in the pairwise. 

I can get us to #15 after Saturday night with a sweep and RIT, UConn, Northeastern, Merrimack, and cornell all getting swept and Sparty losing to Minnesota.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Started as one and then fell out of favor throughout those 13 games. Why would they keep him around the team if he had an off ice issue?

Don’t disagree that he fell out of favor, obviously.

Why keep him around if it was an off ice issue?  The same reason they kept TJ Oshie, Jonathan Toews, Robbie Bina, Matt Greene,  and countless other players with off ice issues around and recruited players like Brandon Bochenski—they’re good at hockey. 

Not every discipline issue requires a Matt Frattin, Mitchell Miller, or Luke Voltin type response. 

But we only recruit “character” players anyway.

14 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Why keep him around if it was an off ice issue?  The same reason they kept TJ Oshie, Jonathan Toews, Robbie Bina, Matt Greene,  and countless other players with off ice issues around and recruited players like Brandon Bochenski—they’re good at hockey. 

Not every discipline issue requires a Matt Frattin, Mitchell Miller, or Luke Voltin type response. 

Sometimes it’s like groundhog day on here. We’re talking about a player that hasn’t played since Dec and won’t be here next yr. Let it go. We’re 8 wins away from a National Championship lets talk about that. 

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Second season starts today.

-Do we make a run....

-Do we go two and a barbecue....

-Do we lose in OT on Sunday.....

-Do we still talk about culture....

I've still got the Mavs in 3. 

Win tonight and they have a shot to take the series in 3.  Lose tonight and panic sets in tomorrow for this group.  Oh-two-barbecue.  

1 minute ago, 90siouxfan said:

First Sioux game i am attending in a few years.  I'm preparing for full responsibility & full credit on the outcome.   Just hope I don't get pushed down any stairs, definitely staying away from railings.

I'm feeling like it's a full-credit kind of day! And thanks for representing for those of us who can't make the trip! LFG!

1 hour ago, Benny Baker said:

But, he's not good at hockey right now. 

Again, you can absolutely believe what you want. I'm just telling you that I've heard from multiple people that it's not an off ice issue.

• Upvote 2

Let's look at some stats to prepare for tonight's game.

Omaha:

• scoring leaders (G-A-Pts): Jack Randl (18-16-34), Tyler Weiss (6-21-27), Jonny Tychonick (8-18-26) 
  • +/- leaders: Randl (+17), Matt Miller (+12), Tychonick and Ty Mueller (+11)
  • +/- laggards: Kaden Bohlsen (-8), Michael Abgrall (-8), Cameron Berg (-4)

UND:

• scoring leaders (G-A-Pts): Jackson Blake (15-25-40), Riese Gaber (19-15-34), Chris Jandric (4-28-32)
  • +/- leaders: Jandric (+13), Dylan James (+7), Ben Strinden (+6), Ryan Sidorski (+5)
  • +/- laggards: Gavin Hain (-12), Cooper Moore (-11), McLaughlin and Schmaltz and Bast (-8)

UND and Omaha have little to separate them. On the NCHC leader boards, the two teams are ranked next to each other in Goal Margin, Goals/Game, Assists/Game, Points/Game, Shots Percentage, and Shorthanded Goals; and they are within two spots of each other in Goals Allowed/Game, SOG/Game, Penalty Minutes/Game, Faceoff %, and Blocked Shots/Game. Thus it's not surprising that UND and Omaha are relatively close to each other in the various rankings: PWR, KRACH, and Massey.

Where do they differ? Omaha has a decided advantage in Save%, while UND has an advantage in special teams. (It should be noted that UND's PP has been pretty bad--around 16%--over its last eight games.)

From a UND perspective, it seems like it's going to come down to which Drew DeRidder shows up, the guy who was leaky for much of the season, or the guy who is allowing 1.83 GAA over his last six games.