SiouxSports.com Forum

Hawks....Cows.....playoffs @ Baxter

Wilbur

Best time of the year!  Two teams playing for their collective lives in Omaha this weekend in what should go three games in my mind.  All the games between these teams have been good close hockey games.

Game 1....4-1 UND win

Game 2....3-3 OT tie (we don't call shootout losses a loss)

Game 3....5-4 UND OT win

Game 4....2-1 UND win 

So the Mavs are definitely due for a win in this series, but two pretty even teams.

Will we continue to see DeRidder 2.0?  Will #4 play?  Will the Mavs make the NCHC Frozen Faceoff for the first time ever at the cost of UND?  Will the #MGFC know that shootouts won't happen this weekend?  Will @MafiaMan make the 7 hour drive to Baxter??? 

Wilbur's unpopular opinion:

Mavericks in 3. 

12 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Best time of the year!  Two teams playing for their collective lives in Omaha this weekend in what should go three games in my mind.  All the games between these teams have been good close hockey games.

Game 1....4-1 UND win

Game 3....5-4 UND OT win

Game 4....2-1 UND win 

So the Mavs are definitely due for a win in this series, but two pretty even teams.

Will we continue to see DeRidder 2.0?  Will #4 play?  Will the Mavs make the NCHC Frozen Faceoff for the first time ever at the cost of UND?  Will the #MGFC know that shootouts won't happen this weekend?  Will @MafiaMan make the 7 hour drive to Baxter??? 

Mavericks in 3. 

No shootouts?  When the hell are we supposed to set off the fireworks then?

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Game 1....4-1 UND win

Game 3....5-4 UND OT win

Game 4....2-1 UND win 

Mavericks in 3. 

Mafiaman would make the trip just for the free cowbell they hand out at the arena.

12 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

No shootouts?  When the hell are we supposed to set off the fireworks then?

The email has been sent. When each game ends in a shootout regardless of the score next season you will know who to thank. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Mafiaman would make the trip just for the free cowbell they hand out at the arena.

When @MafiaMan attends UND hockey they have won a single game. I think their record when he attends is like 1-3-1 or something like that. 

Edited by Goon

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

I’d love to see that. But something tells me this team will make it more difficult than that. 

That is what they have done all season, which makes me not real confident in my prediction. And in the interest of full disclosure, I wrote them off several weeks ago - right before they started playing decent hockey. Maybe I should have picked Omaha in two. That reverse thing.

4 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

That is what they have done all season, which makes me not real confident in my prediction. And in the interest of full disclosure, I wrote them off several weeks ago - right before they started playing decent hockey. Maybe I should have picked Omaha in two. That reverse thing.

I was gonna say.   Everybody's picking UND to move on.   What do people really think?   

9 minutes ago, burd said:

I was gonna say.   Everybody's picking UND to move on.   What do people really think?   

I think picking Omaha to advance to the conference semi-finals for the first time ever in addition to winning a series against a team it has never won a series against ever, and facing a team they have not beaten this season is a really tall task for Omaha. 

I honestly think it's a state of the program series for UND.  We've struggled all year, but when the chips are down are we the University of North Dakota still?  Or have we taken a step back and are we going to let Omaha do something they've never done before?  We hear the word culture a lot and that it's a special class we have.  Well if that's the case then there shouldn't be an issue this weekend and the growing Mavs shouldn't end our season correct?  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I think picking Omaha to advance to the conference semi-finals for the first time ever in addition to winning a series against a team it has never won a series against ever, and facing a team they have not beaten this season is a really tall task for Omaha. 

Which is probably why Omaha gets it done for the first time.  When everyone thinking UND has no chance to do anything the rest of the year, starts changing their tune, that’s when I start to worry.  Not saying that was you.

4 minutes ago, tnt said:

Which is probably why Omaha gets it done for the first time.  When everyone thinking UND has no chance to do anything the rest of the year, starts changing their tune, that’s when I start to worry.  Not saying that was you.

No part of me would be at all confident Omaha is getting it done this year. It could happen but it’s definitely not a bet I would make. 

Omaha hounds the puck really well, and they seem well coached.  If our guys give up many unforced turnovers or if DeRidder isn't sharp, UNO advances.   Just not much margin for error with this team.  

The good news is that we won't lose unless it's the refs' fault.  :D

15 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

No part of me would be at all confident Omaha is getting it done this year. It could happen but it’s definitely not a bet I would make. 

It was a basically a wash this past weekend at home, and Omaha could get 3 injured players back, so I’m not super confident on our end either.  I think whoever wins game one wins the series.