SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

2 hours ago, jk said:

After the trade deadline, Ottawa's GM said they consider Kleven very close to NHL ready.  They need his size on the blueline.  He'll sign and get some pro lessons in the AHL and then he'll spend some time with the big club next year.  There just are not many guys his size who can skate as well as he can.

I think if the Sens miss the playoffs, Tyler will make his NHL debut this season. 

31 minutes ago, dustnyou said:

I think if the Sens miss the playoffs, Tyler will make his NHL debut this season. 

It may come down to the wire, so it isn’t a given that opportunity will happen at the end of the year.  

49 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

He does not. 

No idea if he would want to play another year or not if he did? Would love to have him if he did(could). His improvement from last year to this year has been amazing and he was pretty good last year.

I wonder if he would not have a case to file a hardship appeal? Many players were given an extra year of eliigibilty due to the Covid season(19-20). Alaska shut down their program due to COVID and other reasons for the 20-21 season. Not sure why he did not enter the portal for the 20-21 season?

18 minutes ago, petey23 said:

No idea if he would want to play another year or not if he did? Would love to have him if he did(could). His improvement from last year to this year has been amazing and he was pretty good last year.

I wonder if he would not have a case to file a hardship appeal? Many players were given an extra year of eliigibilty due to the Covid season(19-20). Alaska shut down their program due to COVID and other reasons for the 20-21 season. Not sure why he did not enter the portal for the 20-21 season?

If I recall he was in the portal the entire year Alaska didn’t play. I think he was trying to finish his undergrad degree so he could easily grad transfer so he stayed in Alaska. I think this may have been when transferring as a non-grad transfer required you to sit out a year. 

Players on teams that sat out the Covid season still had that season count towards their eligibility. Sidorski is the same situation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

If I recall he was in the portal the entire year Alaska didn’t play. I think he was trying to finish his undergrad degree so he could easily grad transfer so he stayed in Alaska. I think this may have been when transferring as a non-grad transfer required you to sit out a year. 

Players on teams that sat out the Covid season still had that season count towards their eligibility. Sidorski is the same situation. 

Makes sense...but at same time seems like a good case could be made for a hardship case ....although in the past in other sports if a request for a special hardship comes from the UND Athletic Derpartment it usually gets denied without even being read.

For sure gone (no eligibility left): 2, 3, 7, 10, 19, 34.
I'll be surprised if they're back: 6, 25. 

Guys with one (Covid) year still available: 13, 15, 28 
The class behind them: 4, 11, 17, 27 
And 17 could sign. 

On 3/4/2023 at 7:11 AM, Goon said:

The former captain checks in. 

The comments are hilarious! --> He took more flak for "Hawks" than the bold prediction!

People tried to shame a former captain with a ring, and cancer survivor, when the team he won with was officially known as the "Fighting Hawks" (but no logo yet). 

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

And 17 could sign. 

Unless Gaber is getting his degree in May, he should be back.  

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

And 17 could sign. 

@burdand @stoneySIOUXare not allowed to answer ... for now.

I see two glaring issues in that post.
Who else can see them. 

11 minutes ago, Speez said:

Forgot one of your favorite players #18

18 is not a member of any of those classes. 

He's part of 1 5 6 8 18 20 24 29 32
Next is 9 21 22 26 

And the problem I see is not a "who" as much as a "what". 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

And 17 could sign. 

19 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

@burdand @stoneySIOUXare not allowed to answer ... for now.

I see two glaring issues in that post.
Who else can see them. 

I would add an extra category.

Potential Portal Guys: 5, 11, 18, 21, 29

I think Berry did an exceptionally bad job with his roster management this year. 

Given the "find new home" success rate of portal guys (under 50%), players would do well to take pause before jumping into that pool. 

Maybe 5 goes to play with his brother at CC, or 11 goes to ASU to be with his brother. 

6 minutes ago, AJS said:

I would add an extra category.

Potential Portal Guys: 5, 11, 18, 21, 29

I think Berry did an exceptionally bad job with his roster management this year. 

Can 5 even play hockey right now? He’s been injured the entire season.

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Given the "find new home" success rate of portal guys (under 50%), players would do well to take pause before jumping into that pool. 

Maybe 5 goes to play with his brother at CC, or 11 goes to ASU to be with his brother. 

I don't think 18, 21 or 29 would have problems finding a new home. Hope all three return, really talented young players. I wouldn't blame any of the three though if they left.