SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Again, he can still go back to school or finish school online, in the offseason. 

Sure are, but how many of them are as good as Jake Sanderson? You're wholly ignoring how good this kid is. It's absolutely stupid to encourage a kid at that talent level to stay for years in college with all the resources online schooling has. 

If he were my kid, I damn sure would. I guess we just have a difference in values.

25 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

So, you're saying if a player plays in the NHL for 10 years, that voids getting a degree? They'll never get anywhere in life without the degree? Very confusing. There's hundreds of examples of players playing the NHL for a large career and then being successful in life.

@stoneySIOUX is a 100 percent correct: when I came to UND, I lived in Swanson Hall until I met my wife, and my resident hall RA introduced me to Perry Berezan who had returned to UND to finish his degree after his NHL career. From Wikipedia

After leaving hockey, Berezan returned to the University of North Dakota where he earned a commerce degree and became a financial planner and investment advisor.[

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ND_Texan said:

If he were my kid, I damn sure would. I guess we just have a difference in values.

Your view is antiquated, I'm sorry.

So, your kid's dream is to play in the NHL. He's a TOP FIVE pick. You tell him after two years that he should just not go to the NHL because he needs to get his degree, which he can do online during the season or after, simply because it's what supposed to be done? You mentioned the injury factor. What happens if he blows his knee out and never reaches his true dream of playing in the NHL?

Your value system seems odd. Tell the kid to hold off on his dream because YOU say he should do it a certain way. Crazy.

1 hour ago, ND_Texan said:

You haven't answered why Duluth and Denver have won those three recent championships. Hint: they didn't do it with freshmen. Why have those programs been able to keep players for 3 or 4 years?

Duluth's 2018 natty had a lot of freshmen defenseman. Wasn't expected but somehow they pulled it off. To say neither of those programs didn't do it with high end freshmen shows you haven't been paying attention. Mazur, Behrens, Buium were all huge assets for Denver last year. The gophers have some of the best freshman and sophomores in the country right now and will be going very far into the playoffs. Skilled freshman are needed with a blend of reliable upper classmen. 

39 minutes ago, ND_Texan said:

Such a silly thing to say. Of course I'd recruit a Jake Sanderson...with the presence to persuade him to mature and strengthen as an upperclassman and help win a championship.  Not to mention college degrees are a pretty special thing to have, especially when they are free. Again, how did Duluth and Denver win natty's three out of the last four years?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Pre Covid there wasn't a portal and they had to figure it out, why not now?  I hate the portal and everything it stands for.

All else being equal, I’d prefer the team to develop the players it has in the pipeline, even if there were growing pains along the way. 

I see the portal as a tool to be used sparingly and strategically. 

• Like 1

Like @gfhockey states this program needs blue chippaz. Sanderson was that. UND doesn't get those guys as much anymore. He was going to be a NHL star whether he played one season or two at UND. I think @ND_Texan point is that when UND gets a talent like Jake and he's here for two seasons and plays roughly half of the games in that time frame it is a disappointment......not in him but in his lack of putting a stamp on this program while he was here. No fault of his own but you can't make an impact when you don't play. He was easily one of the most talented players I've watch at UND but he left without a NCAA win.

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Like @gfhockey states this program needs blue chippaz. Sanderson was that. UND doesn't get those guys as much anymore. He was going to be a NHL star whether he played one season or two at UND. I think @ND_Texan point is that when UND gets a talent like Jake and he's here for two seasons and plays roughly half of the games in that time frame it is a disappointment......not in him but in his lack of putting a stamp on this program while he was here. No fault of his own but you can't make an impact when you don't play. He was easily one of the most talented players I've watch at UND but he left without a NCAA win.

I understand THAT premise, but his initial point was very different. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

HAHAHAHA no, no you weren't. You pivoted when you got caught in a dumb train of thought. Goodness. 

Wrong again Stoner. DM me, I'll send you the name of a reading comprehension tutor I know.

9 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I understand THAT premise, but his initial point was very different. 

No it wasn't. That was EXACTLY my point. I understand UND offers reading comprehension classes. Take 'em up.

13 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Absolutely exactly right. Such a great talent who left here with hardly leaving a mark. I enjoyed the hell out of watching him play, albeit a very short period of time. So very unfortunate...and yes, disappointing.

6 minutes ago, ND_Texan said:

Wrong again Stoner. DM me, I'll send you the name of a reading comprehension tutor I know.

No it wasn't. That was EXACTLY my point. I understand UND offers reading comprehension classes. Take 'em up.

"To me the biggest disappointment in recent years has been Jake Sanderson. Came and went. Flash in the pan. Played the equivalent of a season and a half for the Sioux. Got a lot of ink but left no legacy. We don't need any more short timers like that, especially the injury prone type. One and done or two and flew programs don't win championships."

Here the original post, stoner. Now tell me again what I really meant? I'll wait. Oxbow6 seemed to comprehend it, but you floated off on some lame azz tangent that tells me you have serious reading comprehension issues. 

6 minutes ago, ND_Texan said:

Wrong ahead Stoner. 

Unbelievable. Verbatim from your first post...  "Got a lot of ink but left no legacy. We don't need any more short timers like that, especially the injury prone type. One and done or two and flew programs don't win championships."

When you tear down a specific player, you cannot be talking about a general concept. 

Reading comprehension, yeah, ok. You just got caught looking silly because you called out a kid who was a heart and soul guy, and so you pivoted to a general concept to try and make yourself look better.

Whatever, dude. All good in the hood. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, ND_Texan said:

"To me the biggest disappointment in recent years has been Jake Sanderson. Came and went. Flash in the pan. Played the equivalent of a season and a half for the Sioux. Got a lot of ink but left no legacy. We don't need any more short timers like that, especially the injury prone type. One and done or two and flew programs don't win championships."

Here the original post, stoner. Now tell me again what I really meant? I'll wait. Oxbow6 seemed to comprehend it, but you floated off on some lame azz tangent that tells me you have serious reading comprehension issues. 

HAHAHA you started the tangent when you said you'd recruit a guy like JAKE SANDERSON for four years based on your opinion of how a degree should be completed. Let's just move on, man.

If I missed your intention, I do apologize and that's honest. I don't think I did. Ox seems to have gotten to that new conclusion that you birthed out of our back and forth, but again, all good. 

My guess at a 2023-24 roster:

Goal: (portal), (recruit/portal), Hellsten, Johnson

Defense: Frisch, Moore, Bast, Komzak, Benoit, Wiebe, Livanavage, Strathmann

Forward: Caulfield, Albrecht, Gaber, Ness, Jamernik, Schmaltz, Costantini, Portz, Kunz, Strinden, McLaughlin, Blake, James, Emerson, Perron

That's a safe, predictable Berry roster, but I'm not sure that's what we need in 2023-24. 

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

My guess at a 2023-24 roster:

Goal: (portal), (recruit/portal), Hellsten, Johnson

Defense: Frisch, Moore, Bast, Komzak, Benoit, Wiebe, Livanavage, Strathmann

Forward: Caulfield, Albrecht, Gaber, Ness, Jamernik, Schmaltz, Costantini, Portz, Kunz, Strinden, McLaughlin, Blake, James, Emerson, Perron

That's a safe, predictable Berry roster, but I'm not sure that's what we need in 2023-24. 

Thanks for this lol

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Unbelievable. Verbatim from your first post...  "Got a lot of ink but left no legacy. We don't need any more short timers like that, especially the injury prone type. One and done or two and flew programs don't win championships."

When you tear down a specific player, you cannot be talking about a general concept. 

Reading comprehension, yeah, ok. You just got caught looking silly because you called out a kid who was a heart and soul guy, and so you pivoted to a general concept to try and make yourself look better.

Whatever, dude. All good in the hood. 

There was no tearing down of Jake. He was a great talent and really disappointing that he was such a short timer. Played maybe the equivalent of a season. As fans, we all wanted to see more of him. You're the one who pivoted. Smart people like Oxbow6 understood my point exactly. You, on the other hand....

1 minute ago, ND_Texan said:

There was no tearing down of Jake. He was a great talent and really disappointing that he was such a short timer. Played maybe the equivalent of a season. As fans, we all wanted to see more of him. You're the one who pivoted. Smart people like Oxbow6 understood my point exactly. You, on the other hand....

Ok, man. Have a good one.

• Upvote 1

Would I have wanted one more year of Jake Sanderson? Duh.

Did Jake make the right move? Playing on PP2 and top 4 in OTT signals 'yes'. 

Did Tyson Jost make the right move? Notsomuch.

Everything is always so clear
when you look
in the 20/20 hindsight mirror.  

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Would I have wanted one more year of Jake Sanderson? Duh.

Did Jake make the right move? Playing on PP2 and top 4 in OTT signals 'yes'. 

I wanted two more years of Jake. I hope he made the right move, but only time will tell.