SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

4 minutes ago, ND_Texan said:

I wanted two more years of Jake. I hope he made the right move, but only time will tell.

Well, in that case it is a lost opportunity and such a shame. I am sure that had he known you wanted him back for 2 more years, he would have obliged and turned down his opportunity to play a top 4 defenseman role for Ottawa. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, skateshattrick said:

Well, in that case it is a lost opportunity and such a shame. I am sure that had he known you wanted him back for 2 more years, he would have obliged and turned down his opportunity to play a top 4 defenseman role for Ottawa. 

So you were glad to see him go?

6 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

3 minutes ago, ND_Texan said:

Speaking of lack of reading comprehension ....

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ND_Texan said:

You expected a top 5 draft pick to stay four seasons in college hockey? When has that happened ever?

You take any and all of those high drafted players that you can, even if it’s only for a season or two (or three if you’re lucky). 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, ND_Texan said:

No, I love blue chip talent and generational talent, both qualities of Jake Sanderson. However, he was clearly ready and the success he will have at the next level will result in more blue chip recruits following his path to UND. That's how it works. I'm not sure fans can appreciate how good he was at UND and how good he will likely be in the NHL. He is arguably the best defenseman to ever play at UND and I was in school when James Patrick played at UND.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Speaking of lack of reading comprehension ....

1 minute ago, brianvf said:

You expected a top 5 draft pick to stay four seasons in college hockey? When has that happened ever?

You take any and all of those high drafted players that you can, even if it’s only for a season or two (or three if you’re lucky). 

That's not what I asked.

23 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

My guess at a 2023-24 roster:

Goal: (portal), (recruit/portal), Hellsten, Johnson

Defense: Frisch, Moore, Bast, Komzak, Benoit, Wiebe, Livanavage, Strathmann

Forward: Caulfield, Albrecht, Gaber, Ness, Jamernik, Schmaltz, Costantini, Portz, Kunz, Strinden, McLaughlin, Blake, James, Emerson, Perron

That's a safe, predictable Berry roster, but I'm not sure that's what we need in 2023-24. 

I really can't see Berry bringing Albrecht back for a 5th year. Caulfield maybe. And much as I don't like the portal, that potential D corps scares me. 

4 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I really can't see Berry bringing Albrecht back for a 5th year. Caulfield maybe. And much as I don't like the portal, that potential D corps scares me. 

I struggled there too. Albrecht would be brought back if Croal isn't ready to step in is my thought. 

I show Caulfield and Gabor but I'm not confident. Those slots could easily turn (portal) because I don't see other pipeline forwards ready beyond those listed. 

The D would scare me much more with (portal) in place of Frisch. (Disclaimer: Yes, I carry water for Ethan. He's a good kid.) 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I struggled there too. Albrecht would be brought back if Croal isn't ready to step in is my thought. 

I show Caulfield and Gabor but I'm not confident. Those slots could easily turn (portal) because I don't see addition pipeline forwards ready beyond those listed. 

The D would scare me much more with (portal) in place of Frisch

Absolutely.

Goon's guess at a 2023-24 roster:

Defense: Frisch (ify), Moore, Bast, Komzak, Benoit, Wiebe, Livanavage, Strathmann

Forward: Caulfield, Albrecht, Gaber, Ness, Jamernik, Schmaltz, Costantini, Portz, Kunz, Strinden, McLaughlin, Blake, James, Emerson, Perron

1 minute ago, Goon said:

Defense: Frisch, Moore, Bast, Komzak, Benoit, Wiebe, Livanavage, Strathmann

Yo "G", ... what's your guess on a 15th F? Pipeline, surprise late recruit, or (portal)? 

3 minutes ago, Goon said:

Defense: Frisch (ify), Moore, Bast, Komzak, Benoit, Wiebe, Livanavage, Strathmann

Why Albrecht but not Caulfield? Do you know something the rest of us don't know? 

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Yo "G", ... what's your guess on a 15th F? Pipeline, surprise late recruit, or (portal)? 

You know, that's a good question. I'd like to see a late bloomer 21-year-old forward. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing one or two of those. No clue. 

2 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

nut problem is we aren’t getting the blue chippaz like we used to 

I'd say our problem is that we haven't transitioned from a 6/6 forward makeup to a 9/3. We still have two grind lines. The 7-8-9 guys don't have to be "blue chippaz" but they have to play more speed-skill and less grind. (See: DU and WMU) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT JAKE SANDERSON! You're turning the story to try and make you look less silly.

Not too mention that the value of a college degree, other than very specific fields of study(accounting, med school, law school, engineering, etc.), is decreasing by the day.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Just to add some lighthearted commentary, back home visiting and was at the Sioux Shop picking up some stuff for my 3 year old daughter and afterwards I was out in the concourse looking at all the old pictures and historical stuff from those great Sioux teams from the 1950’s and beyond.

The warm, proud feelings I always get whenever I look at pictures I’ve probably seen a hundred times and it never, ever gets old to me. I am so proud of this hockey program and the legacy all these great players and coaches have left. 

Same here. Those 80's and 90's teams left me memories I will cherish forever. Ditto with the 2016 team. Which makes the current state of the program even harder to watch.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Same here. Those 80's and 90's teams left me memories I will cherish forever. Ditto with the 2016 team. Which makes the current state of the program even harder to watch.

1995-2001 is my sweet spot. I was 12-18 years old. My best friend and I would sit on the glass with three cups of Dipn Dots. 2 for us to eat and a third cup on the dasher waiting for Pivets, Vig or Commie  to destroy someone in front of us and send those little ice cream balls everywhere lol. Good times. Man what I would give to go back and take in a game night at the old Ralph. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2