SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

3 hours ago, Kevin G said:

24 may have saved a goal with a blocked shot on Saturday night. He looks to have a place and a role on this team moving forward, and I really hope he stays. Granted, he's -8 in only 11 games played this season. But IMO he passes the eye test much more so than 4.

Why hasn't 24 played more regularly? Did he have an injury to start the season that I'm forgetting? I just have to think there's a reason. The coaches see these guys every day, and Berry and co. know a bajillion times more about hockey than we do.

FYP. 

Does anyone know why Johnson got benched and hasn't played since Dec 3rd?  I know he's made some mistakes, but looking at his stats, they're pretty good.  Having one of the best +/- on the team for a defenseman.  It's weird to me that the coaches aren't trying to develop this kid and getting some playing time, being drafted fairly high up (3rd round) and young.  I assume he'll be gone after this season......Jonny2.0

5 hours ago, JaDubbs said:

Does anyone know why Johnson got benched and hasn't played since Dec 3rd?  I know he's made some mistakes, but looking at his stats, they're pretty good.  Having one of the best +/- on the team for a defenseman.  It's weird to me that the coaches aren't trying to develop this kid and getting some playing time, being drafted fairly high up (3rd round) and young.  I assume he'll be gone after this season......Jonny2.0

Some think he's gonna try to redshirt after this season to get another year. Maybe hit the portal. 

5 hours ago, JaDubbs said:

He played in the U18 exhibition game. He turned the puck over in the defensive zone and the other team scored. 

I think they opted for Moore since it’s become obvious we can’t play both because they are defensive liabilities. 

Look. I want to win games here. If they wanted to play Johnson as the extra skater I’d be okay with that. Power play could probably use him at times when it has struggled. Johnson’s plus/minus is good because he is a good offensive guy on the back end and we scored goals when he is on the ice. But his mistakes defensively ended up in the back of our net so I’m not sure how comfortable I’d be with him skating a regular shift. But then again I think the majority of our defensive issues have been because our third pairing has been really bad no matter who we play on it. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Some think he's gonna try to redshirt after this season to get another year. Maybe hit the portal. 

A player has five academic years to play four eligible seasons. 

He last played an NCAA game (non-exh) on December 3 ... strangely that's about when Bast got healthy. Surely coincidence. 

The question on Johnson is: Does or does not this season (13 games played) count as an eligible season against him. Every time I read the DI Manual I get a different answer. Not having played in second half works in his favor, but 13 games might be too many (30% +1 limit) I think. 

It would be nice if a certain beat writer covering the team would ask the status of players on the roster who haven't played in a while?

Like...."Can you speak to the status of #6 coach for the rest of the season?"

Maybe throw in #5 to to make it look like you wonder about everyone.  

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

He's written about 5 being with the team but having an upper body issue that's kept him away all season.

6 is invisible I guess. 

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

It would be nice if a certain beat writer covering the team would ask the status of players on the roster who haven't played in a while?

Like...."Can you speak to the status of #6 coach for the rest of the season?"

That would break from the narrative of "culture".

BTW did Schloss ever ask anything about the NODAK embarrassment?  Didn't think so.

4 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

BTW did Schloss ever ask anything about the NODAK embarrassment?  Didn't think so.

3 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Pretty sure it never came up.

This whole NODAK trademark fiasco is not unrelated to the concept of building the kind of culture Coach Berry talks about. A successful culture surely includes being transparent, taking responsibility for one's actions (or lack of action), and then being accountable. Coach Berry has a golden opportunity to model these values with respect to the NODAK trademark and the related questions that still linger

Might he end up putting his own job at risk? Maybe. Might he risk putting a family member in a bad light? Maybe. But accountability is not easy or without risk. If it were, the culture of which it's a part wouldn't be worth much. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, AJS said:

Johnson's developmental curve was looking good based on his Freshman year. Never witnessed a situation like his before, got so few chances this year. Where would this team be if they played him regularly? Out of contention in the pairwise and on the road for the first round? Could really use a RH defenseman for next year. At least this coaching staff can go to the portal. So unbelievably frustrated with this Coaching staff. 

Very very strange situation. I know nothing, but he’s gone.

4 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Schloss does a good job…he’s more of a marketing tool though.  He isn’t going to press hard like a journalist covering an NHL team.

Im actually fine with that. We really don’t need negative press right now. I’ve heard indirectly/directly from one brother of a high end recruit and one dad of a higher end recruit that there is risk going the UND route. We need to keep the press positive and keep pulling in talent 

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

He's written about 5 being with the team but having an upper body issue that's kept him away all season.

6 is invisible I guess. 

Schloss has spoken about Johnson and his poor play leading to his benching on his podcast a couple of times. I’ve also chatted with him about it. He’s not practicing or has played well enough to crack the lineup, or stay in the lineup. Who would he replace in the lineup? Top five or six I can’t think of anyone he’d replace. Maybe Bast or Moore. 

1 minute ago, Goon said:

Schloss has spoken about Johnson and his poor play leading to his benching on his podcast a couple of times. I’ve also chatted with him about it. He’s not practicing or has played well enough to crack the lineup, or stay in the lineup. Who would he replace in the lineup? Top five or six I can’t think of anyone he’d replace. Maybe Bast or Moore. 

Do you think the D-core as a whole has played well this year? Who would he replace? Take your pick for most of the year. I would say outside of Jandric and Frisch, there have been nights where every other player has played poor enough where if the coaching staff was consistent, would have sat the following night. You see Farmer in Denver? He was a one-man lowlight that entire weekend. What I've noticed this year over any other is some players can make mistakes over and over and their roll isn't affected. Others don't get that luxury. 

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, AJS said:

Do you think the D-core as a whole has played well this year? Who would he replace? Take your pick for most of the year. I would say outside of Jandric and Frisch, there have been nights where every other player has played poor enough where if the coaching staff was consistent, would have sat the following night. You see Farmer in Denver? He was a one-man lowlight that entire weekend. What I've noticed this year over any other is some players can make mistakes over and over and their roll isn't affected. Others don't get that luxury. 

I agree with this. Unlike most on this board, I like Moore and think he has a lot of upside, particularly offensively. He might be the best returning defenseman unless Frisch returns. The problem I have with sitting Johnson is that he is young and is being given no margin for error while we play a grad transfer that has not been particularly good since the start of the new year. I don't understand the loyalty to Farmer, who is a portal transfer, over a highly drafted, highly sought after recruit who has a lot of upside. I get why Sidorski plays regularly--he has been suprisingly good as the year has gone on, but if he was not playing well, I would prefer to see the coaches play the young guy over a portal transfer. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, AJS said:

Very very fair assessment. Based on my faith in this program and coaching staff…I’m going to assume there may be some sort of character issue or misalignment with following orders/game plan. Other than that, Johnson should be either 5 or 6.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

I agree with this. Unlike most on this board, I like Moore and think he has a lot of upside, particularly offensively. He might be the best returning defenseman unless Frisch returns. The problem I have with sitting Johnson is that he is young and is being given no margin for error while we play a grad transfer that has not been particularly good since the start of the new year. I don't understand the loyalty to Farmer, who is a portal transfer, over a highly drafted, highly sought after recruit who has a lot of upside. I get why Sidorski plays regularly--he has been suprisingly good as the year has gone on, but if he was not playing well, I would prefer to see the coaches play the young guy over a portal transfer. 

I like Moore a lot too. Super skilled but definitely has mental lapses. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

No reason unless he’s been hurt that Johnson hasn’t played 1 minute since early December, hasn’t even been the extra skater. 18 should be playing over our 5th year guys also. 
does anyone know if he is practicing  with the team ?

I would like to know this as well.  I mean, anybody who is around the press box, is he there on game days in a suit?  @Goon is he alive still?