SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

To me the biggest disappointment in recent years has been Jake Sanderson. Came and went. Flash in the pan. Played the equivalent of a season and a half for the Sioux. Got a lot of ink but left no legacy. We don't need any more short timers like that, especially the injury prone type. One and done or two and flew programs don't win championships.

• Downvote 10

18 minutes ago, ND_Texan said:

To me the biggest disappointment in recent years has been Jake Sanderson. Came and went. Flash in the pan. Played the equivalent of a season and a half for the Sioux. Got a lot of ink but left no legacy. We don't need any more short timers like that, especially the injury prone type. One and done or two and flew programs don't win championships.

:lol: It's really hard to take this board seriously sometimes

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

:lol: It's really hard to take this board seriously sometimes

So you want more flashy players who play a season and a half, or do want a national championship? Tell me, how did Denver and Duluth win those titles?

25 minutes ago, ND_Texan said:

So you want more flashy players who play a season and a half, or do want a national championship? Tell me, how did Denver and Duluth win those titles?

Lol, you're going to fault Sanderson for that? Really? It is just how it panned out. C'est la vie. Especially considering his first season was the POD year which was shortened and out of his control. Boeser and Nick Schmaltz are examples of your "two and flew." You do win championships with those players. I'd say they were critical players in winning #8. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

The fact that you think it has to be one or the other is laughable.  Wait, wasn't Schmaltz a flashy player? Wasn't Boeser a flashy player? We must have really lucked into that title.  

I want guys that have a ton of skill and stay 2-3 years in addition to 4 year guys that set the culture of the team.    

To answer your question, yes I want flashy players who can carry the puck up the ice by themselves, create highlight game winning goals, AND will just as easily dive across the freakin crease to keep a goal out of our net to advance to the NCHC Frozen Faceoff.  And in doing so, slice their hand so far open they can't play most of their first season in the NHL.  

Give me all of those "flashy players"

https://twitter.com/UofHockeyBlog/status/1503434063390162952?s=20

You haven't answered why Duluth and Denver have won those three recent championships. Hint: they didn't do it with freshmen. Why have those programs been able to keep players for 3 or 4 years?

1 hour ago, ND_Texan said:

Sanderson was snake-bit with injuries. Not his fault. Not anybody's fault.

27 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Lol, you're going to fault Sanderson for that? Really? It is just how it panned out. C'est la vie. Especially considering his first season was the POD year which was shortened and out of his control. Boeser and Nick Schmaltz are examples of your "two and flew." You do win championships with those players. I'd say they were critical players in winning #8. 

I didn't say it was Sanderson's fault. Geesh, I said he was a disappointment. His injuries and short time status were.

No, I just want players who are like Jake Sanderson at any and all opportunities. To think we shouldn't want players like him is.... well, Idk what that is, but it ain't good lol.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ND_Texan said:

When you say "injury prone", do you mean like an injury that is a hand slice from diving to keep a puck out of a net to win a playoff game? Or, taking a big check in the corner during an OLYMPIC game? Yeah, both of those are Jake Sanderson. Give me that player.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Tbh we're so far apart it doesn't merit a discussion.  If you don't want to recruit Jake Sandersons to UND I have nothing for you.

Such a silly thing to say. Of course I'd recruit a Jake Sanderson...with the presence to persuade him to mature and strengthen as an upperclassman and help win a championship.  Not to mention college degrees are a pretty special thing to have, especially when they are free. Again, how did Duluth and Denver win natty's three out of the last four years?

1 minute ago, ND_Texan said:

Such a silly thing to say. Of course I'd recruit a Jake Sanderson...with the presence to persuade him to mature and strengthen as an upperclassman and help win a championship.  Not to mention college degrees are a pretty special thing to have, especially when they are free. Again, how did Duluth and Denver win natty's three out of the last four years?

UND should hire you to do their recruiting! You'd convince a Top 5 NHL draft pick to get his degree instead of passing up million upon millions of dollars and immediate NHL playing time. Especially in an environment where a player could get their degree online or during the offseason. You'd convince them to stay. 

Feels like you're in it for the best interest of the kid. Helluva job you'd do.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Pre Covid there wasn't a portal and they had to figure it out, why not now?  I hate the portal and everything it stands for.

Uh, yes there was lol. Nick Jones....

You hate giving kids an extra year to play college hockey? That's a take hahaha.

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

UND should hire you to do their recruiting! You'd convince a Top 5 NHL draft pick to get his degree instead of passing up million upon millions of dollars and immediate NHL playing time. Especially in an environment where a player could get their degree online or during the offseason. You'd convince them to stay. 

Feels like you're in it for the best interest of the kid. Helluva job you'd do.

Yup dude, it's all about the Benjamins. A college degree will never get you anywhere in life after getting banged around the NHL for ten years if you're lucky. It's never a bad time to impress upon a kid that it's not all about him, if his parents hadn't already.

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Uh, yes there was lol. Nick Jones....

You hate giving kids an extra year to play college hockey? That's a take hahaha.

It was different and there were more restrictions.  You didn't have 100 college hockey players transferring schools let alone multiple tranfers by the same player.  You had a fraction of what is going on now.

Just now, ND_Texan said:

Yup dude, it's all about the Benjamins. A college degree will never get you anywhere in life after getting banged around the NHL for ten years if you're lucky. It's never a bad time to impress upon a kid that it's not all about him, if his parents hadn't already.

So, you're saying if a player plays in the NHL for 10 years, that voids getting a degree? They'll never get anywhere in life without the degree? Very confusing. There's hundreds of examples of players playing the NHL for a large career and then being successful in life.

And so what if he doesn't get his degree? Isn't the point of a degree to get a job to build generational wealth? Couldn't he do that in the NHL? 

This conversation is wild. 

1 minute ago, siouxweet said:

It was different and there were more restrictions.  You didn't have 100 college hockey players transferring schools let alone multiple tranfers by the same player.  You had a fraction of what is going on now.

It's definitely different. With that said, it was updated with the premise that players had an extra year because of COVID. I'm not sure what you mean by "what it stands for".

17 minutes ago, ND_Texan said:

No idea where I got that idea, my bad

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

So, you're saying if a player plays in the NHL for 10 years, that voids getting a degree? They'll never get anywhere in life without the degree? Very confusing. There's hundreds of examples of players playing the NHL for a large career and then being successful in life.

And so what if he doesn't get his degree? Isn't the point of a degree to get a job to build generational wealth? Couldn't he do that in the NHL? 

This conversation is wild. 

LOL. Yeah hundreds of examples out of many many thousands....:lol::lol::lol:. And yeah it's possible he could built huge wealth in the NHL if he has a lasting injury-free career. You do understand there's risk there, right? Why not take advantage of a 4-year college degree and mature as an adult in doing so? A kid's brain isn't fully developed until they are 25 or so. They need some adults to assist them until then. Seriously bud, there are a lot of hockey players that regret leaving too soon. 

13 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Hahaha kind of like the having a degree is super important ..... unless you've played 10 years in the NHL and your degree doesn't matter anymore lololol

Except most don't, and are now selling cars or trying to find a high school coaching job.

1 minute ago, ND_Texan said:

LOL. Yeah hundreds of examples out of many many thousands....:lol::lol::lol:. And yeah it's possible he could built huge wealth in the NHL if he has a lasting injury-free career. You do understand there's risk there, right? Why not take advantage of a 4-year college degree and mature as an adult in doing so? A kid's brain isn't fully developed until they are 25 or so. They need some adults to assist them until then. Seriously bud, there are a lot of hockey players that regret leaving too soon. 

Again, he can still go back to school or finish school online, in the offseason. 

Sure are, but how many of them are as good as Jake Sanderson? You're wholly ignoring how good this kid is. It's absolutely stupid to encourage a kid at that talent level to stay for years in college with all the resources online schooling has.