SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

My guess at a 2023-24 roster:

Goal: (portal), (recruit/portal), Hellsten, Johnson

Defense: Frisch, Moore, Bast, Komzak, Benoit, Wiebe, Livanavage, Strathmann

Forward: Caulfield, Albrecht, Gaber, Ness, Jamernik, Schmaltz, Costantini, Portz, Kunz, Strinden, McLaughlin, Blake, James, Emerson, Perron

That's a safe, predictable Berry roster, but I'm not sure that's what we need in 2023-24. 

My guess:

Goalie - Portal, Hedquist or portal, Hellsten, Johnson

Defense - Frisch or portal, Moore, Bast, Komzak, Benoit, Wiebe, Livanavage, Strathmann

Forward - Portal, Caulfield, Gaber, Ness, Jamernik, Schmaltz, Costantini, Portz, Kunz, Strinden, McLaughlin, Blake, James, Emerson, Perron

That's a young d-corps, but two of the incoming frosh are studs and if Frisch returns he would be a solid anchor to the group.
The key would be landing a capable portal goalie that ideally has two years of eligibility left...his 2nd year he could hopefully take Hedquist under his wing to get him up to speed.

Hellsten just isn't the guy.  For whatever reason European goaltenders just don't work out here.  Dig deeper into Minnesota and get some older USHL goaltenders lined up.

If Hellsten leaves I bring in Hedquist, but if he stays two portal goalies. 

5% chance of making the nationals isn’t giving me warm fuzzies. It’ll take running out the last six games to get there. Winning the Conferece tournament has even more formidable odds. Yeah it’s time to be talking 2023-24 alright. :(

50 minutes ago, ND_Texan said:

5% chance of making the nationals isn’t giving me warm fuzzies. It’ll take running out the last six games to get there. Winning the Conferece tournament has even more formidable odds. Yeah it’s time to be talking 2023-24 alright. :(

Yeah getting an at-large bid just isn't happening at this point.
Our only hope is to get the most favorable 1st round road matchup that we can, cross our fingers to win two there...and then hope for a miracle for two great games from the boys at the Frozen Faceoff.

5 hours ago, ND_Texan said:

Dude, it's over.

15 hours ago, dustnyou said:

1995-2001 is my sweet spot. I was 12-18 years old. My best friend and I would sit on the glass with three cups of Dipn Dots. 2 for us to eat and a third cup on the dasher waiting for Pivets, Vig or Commie  to destroy someone in front of us and send those little ice cream balls everywhere lol. Good times. Man what I would give to go back and take in a game night at the old Ralph. 

I was a UND student from 1993-2000. I got to witness the resurrection of the program under Blais, two NCAA titles, three WCHA titles, Commodore rearranging a guy's face for him and some epic Sioux-Gopher games.......all from the best student section in college hockey. I would pay good money to experience the Old REA just one more time. :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I was a UND student from 1993-2000. I got to witness the resurrection of the program under Blais, two NCAA titles, three WCHA titles, Commodore rearranging a guy's face for him and some epic Sioux-Gopher games.......all from the best student section in college hockey. I would pay good money to experience the Old REA just one more time. :)

Man, I wanted them to win a title SO bad during my time. Would have been so damn fun to party on campus that night. I did, however, get to be a part of a few rather notorious happenings during my time that a few of you here know about :D:whistling:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Forgive me, but I'm still fretting about the defense next year.

We're going to need five minimum is my expectation. The nightmare scenarios are six or even seven. That's a ton of turnover.

And that's with a ginormous "?" in the blue paint. 

This is exactly why we will have a lot of crazy games next year. Score 4 a game, and also allow about 4 a game. 

24 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

This is exactly why we will have a lot of crazy games next year. Score 4 a game, and also allow about 4 a game. 

I think next year we may need the backup kicker from football on the hockey roster. I foresee many nights where we'll need an "extra point" to win ... unless Devon Levi and Yaniv Perets both decide that being a pilot would be cool. ;) 

• Upvote 2

On 2/16/2023 at 2:16 PM, gfhockey said:

I’d take ten Sandersons to 5 of our d any day of the week

nut problem is we aren’t getting the blue chippaz like we used to 

Remember when high end talent came here because we developed them into NHL ready players (Parise was advised to come here instead of Minny for that very reason).  Now we are losing talent because of our system and development.  The light needs to go on in someone's head or we need to strap in for a bumpy ride.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

I think both Basse and Castor of 1 year of eligibility left. Maybe one of them would like to play every game next year.

Basse has two after this. (One of his CC years was Covid and doesn't count.)
Castor has one after this. 

1 hour ago, Irish said:

Remember when high end talent came here because we developed them into NHL ready players (Parise was advised to come here instead of Minny for that very reason).  Now we are losing talent because of our system and development.  The light needs to go on in someone's head or we need to strap in for a bumpy ride.

Says who? I'm not saying I know the reason some aren't coming here, but who's saying this is the reason?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Says who? I'm not saying I know the reason some aren't coming here, but who's saying this is the reason?

I'm sure there are many factors but this has been discussed on this site - that other teams like Denver play fast and we don't and this appeals to high end talent.  To put it another way - I don't think our recruiting problems are due to "the weather".  

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Tyler Kleven, I would like to paraphrase some advice from the legendary Gino Gasparini -  “If you aren’t going to play with the big club, stay in college and finish your degree.” I know that college hockey has made it difficult to use your physical brand of hockey, but there are still plenty of things to work on to be ready for the next level, including discipline.   With the arrival of Jakob Chychrun, making the big club would be a stretch considering some of the defensemen they already have.  Sure, burning a year of your entry contract is appealing, but you have potential to be in the league a long time.  Would love to have you back to wash out the bad taste of this year.  

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 11:13 AM, The Sicatoka said:

I think next year we may need the backup kicker from football on the hockey roster. I foresee many nights where we'll need an "extra point" to win ... unless Devon Levi and Yaniv Perets both decide that being a pilot would be cool. ;) 

:);) :)