SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

On 2/21/2023 at 10:45 AM, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

This is exactly why we will have a lot of crazy games next year. Score 4 a game, and also allow about 4 a 

On 2/21/2023 at 10:23 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Forgive me, but I'm still fretting about the defense next year.

We're going to need five minimum is my expectation. The nightmare scenarios are six or even seven. That's a ton of turnover.

And that's with a ginormous "?" in the blue paint. 

Defense for next year has been bothering me for months.  Who are we preparing to step in for next year?  

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/how-und-hockey-will-handle-senior-day-this-season

Forwards Gavin Hain and Mark Senden were recognized on Senior Day (last season). Both ended up getting an offer to return for their fifth years and both took it.

UND has now settled on a new course of action for Senior Day in the COVID-year era.

It will primarily recognize players at the end of their fourth years and ones who have not had Senior Day sendoffs yet.

For UND, that will be forward Judd Caulfield, forward Carson Albrecht, defenseman Ethan Frisch and defenseman Chris Jandric on Saturday night.

The fact that Caulfield, Frisch and Albrecht are going through Senior Day doesn't necessarily mean their careers at UND are over. All three have a year of college eligibility remaining.

"I think this week is just a lot of reflection about the group we have right now and the class I came through with," Frisch said. "Obviously, it won't be the same next year — whether that means I'm here or not. That's not a decision I've made yet. But it's just more of a reflection on my time here thus far and the guys I've done it with. Obviously, it's an emotional week, but we'll still go about it business-like."

Caulfield added: "I'm still up in the air. I'm not really sure what's going to be happening next year, so it's kind of taking it day by day and see where it goes."

UND coach Brad Berry said he's had discussions with Caulfield and Frisch, who both could garner pro attention.

11 hours ago, tnt said:

Dear Tyler Kleven, I would like to paraphrase some advice from the legendary Gino Gasparini -  “If you aren’t going to play with the big club, stay in college and finish your degree.” I know that college hockey has made it difficult to use your physical brand of hockey, but there are still plenty of things to work on to be ready for the next level, including discipline.   With the arrival of Jakob Chychrun, making the big club would be a stretch considering some of the defensemen they already have.  Sure, burning a year of your entry contract is appealing, but you have potential to be in the league a long time.  Would love to have you back to wash out the bad taste of this year.  

I love the sentiment, but Tyler is surely gone. The league officials have him a marked man; he'll play a game and sit a game all season if he comes back. He probably won't be in OTT but he will be on the JBD path to there. Only contra-indication to him being gone is his age. If he signs now it's a 3 year ELC; if he waits a year he'll be 22 and it becomes a 2 year ELC. 

Frisch is undrafted and 22 right now (23 at Halloween). Whether he signs now or in a year it's a 2 year ELC. Being undrafted he has more space to maneuver. 

39 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I love the sentiment, but Tyler is surely gone. The league officials have him a marked man; he'll play a game and sit a game all season if he comes back. He probably won't be in OTT but he will be on the JBD path to there. Only contra-indication to him being gone is his age. If he signs now it's a 3 year ELC; if he waits a year he'll be 22 and it becomes a 2 year ELC. 

Frisch is undrafted and 22 right now (23 at Halloween). Whether he signs now or in a year it's a 2 year ELC. Being undrafted he has more space to maneuver. 

Pro contracts r only there for so long…they have to do what’s best for their careers. Too much uncertainty in this game with injuries or a bad season.  I would be curious to see how many players renewed leases for next year or reserved spots in hockey houses. 

I could see Tyler stay. if his path to get to the NHL is too long with Ottawa he can become a free agent after next season and sign with anyone. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Most likely he does leave, but it would be nice on his way out if he would send a strongly worded letter to the commissioner and head of officials saying that the league does not want pro talent around if the pro talent plays a physical brand of hockey.  Yes, Tyler has crossed the line several times, and I don't think anyone is defending some of those episodes, but there have been several occasions where you look around the league at hits that haven't been punished, and then look at some of the borderline ones that Kleven has been kicked out for, and there seems to be a bit of inequity. 

15 hours ago, tnt said:

Dear Tyler Kleven, I would like to paraphrase some advice from the legendary Gino Gasparini -  “If you aren’t going to play with the big club, stay in college and finish your degree.” I know that college hockey has made it difficult to use your physical brand of hockey, but there are still plenty of things to work on to be ready for the next level, including discipline.   With the arrival of Jakob Chychrun, making the big club would be a stretch considering some of the defensemen they already have.  Sure, burning a year of your entry contract is appealing, but you have potential to be in the league a long time.  Would love to have you back to wash out the bad taste of this year.  

The refs have neutered Tyler. They have made it impossible for him to play his game. I would love to see him come back but (from his perspective) what's the point?

17 hours ago, tnt said:

Overheard at the Ralph, from folks who seem to have some form of knowledge of the family, was that Tyler has been pushing his studies each semester and over summer, to be able to possibly wrap up his degree early.  Who knows how true that is or if he'll accomplish it, but that might play a role in his decision.  It sure sounded like the general idea was to move on after this season, but ya never know how things can change.  And it's possible that my general eavesdropping was misinterpreted as well :D 

25 minutes ago, SIOUXpucks said:

Overheard at the Ralph, from folks who seem to have some form of knowledge of the family, was that Tyler has been pushing his studies each semester and over summer, to be able to possibly wrap up his degree early.  Who knows how true that is or if he'll accomplish it, but that might play a role in his decision.  It sure sounded like the general idea was to move on after this season, but ya never know how things can change.  And it's possible that my general eavesdropping was misinterpreted as well :D 

I would guess there is little chance he comes back.  I am sure that Ottawa has seen the limits put on his brand of hockey as well and would rather see him in the AHL where he can start playing his style of hockey which will make it easier when he does transition to the big club.  Thanks a lot Don Adam.

• Upvote 1

On 3/2/2023 at 11:21 AM, siouxfaninseattle said:

The refs have neutered Tyler. They have made it impossible for him to play his game. I would love to see him come back but (from his perspective) what's the point?

Except big hits, often illegal, has been his game since bantams. 

4 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Kleven is gone. Mourn him and move on. We get to see him crush forwards for at least four more games.

Kleven I'm not concerned about for next season.  I, like most of us, pretty much assume that he will turn pro.
It's Frisch that I would love to see back on the UND blueline next fall.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Kleven is gone. Mourn him and move on. We get to see him crush forwards for at least four more games.

No, no we don't. He might play in four more games but we won't get to see any crushing hits. When was the last time he hit anybody? All we see is him flipping the puck out of the D zone. Although if the right opportunity arises, like the season is about to end, maybe we will.

57 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

No, no we don't. He might play in four more games but we won't get to see any crushing hits. When was the last time he hit anybody? All we see is him flipping the puck out of the D zone. Although if the right opportunity arises, like the season is about to end, maybe we will.

Um, he got us a nice shootout point last Saturday. Laser. 

35 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Already talking about next year…that’s new for this program :)

on another negative note…I heard something odd last night. When was our last regulation W?

Miami, right?  Then two losses to Denver, then 5 ot games.

After the trade deadline, Ottawa's GM said they consider Kleven very close to NHL ready.  They need his size on the blueline.  He'll sign and get some pro lessons in the AHL and then he'll spend some time with the big club next year.  There just are not many guys his size who can skate as well as he can.

On 3/2/2023 at 1:45 PM, SIOUXpucks said:

Don’t need to over hear anyone at the Ralph to figure out he’s gone. If you (not saying you directly) have any hockey knowledge you’d understand that his style of play is no longer welcome in the college ranks.

16 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Yes he did, but I didn't see any hits, which was the main topic of the post.

It was…until you said all we see is him flipping the puck out of the D zone.