SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

11 minutes ago, AJS said:

I don't think 18, 21 or 29 would have problems finding a new home. Hope all three return, really talented young players. I wouldn't blame any of the three though if they left. 

I would add #24 and #32 to the possible portal list. This program is not going to look good if 3-4 guys hit the portal. Especially NHL draft picks. 

36 minutes ago, AJS said:

I would add an extra category.

Potential Portal Guys: 5, 11, 18, 21, 29

I think Berry did an exceptionally bad job with his roster management this year. 

11 minutes ago, Siouxfancrazy92 said:

I would add #24 and #32 to the possible portal list. This program is not going to look good if 3-4 guys hit the portal. Especially NHL draft picks. 

Watch what you say. Some here are logging those comments into their "Dear Diary...." to bring up down the road.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Almost the whole season to make changes to right the ship not good IMHO. 

And what changed?

Poor play should be fixed in the room by holding teammates accountable. Why'd it take this long? I've noticed I've seen less of the C and more of one of the As in media lately. It nearly coincides with the better play. 

• Upvote 1

Say we lose all of 13, 15, and 28. There's an obvious captain in that trio we'll lose out on. 

Then it's 4, 11, 17, 27. I only see one potential captain in that group. And it's a center, not a wing. Yes, I'd hang a C on LouieJam before Gaber. 

The group behind that? Only Schmaltz has shown glimpses so far.

And the freshmen? James gave me hope this weekend by stepping up twice. 

I'd argue we're missing captains, leaders of men, or they just haven't shown up yet. 

2 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

Did you see our two goals Saturday? It's how the game is played now.

Yes, but you still have to be smart when you pick your spots and fast enough to recover. 

Omaha's first on Friday was the polar opposite of that. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Siouxfancrazy92 said:

People put far too much weight on a player who is an NHL draft pick. The draft is speculation and projection on an 18 year old kid...especially beyond the second round.

49% of a NHL draft picks actually end up playing even 1 game in the NHL.

By round

1st-94%

2nd-70%

3rd-54%

4th-44%

5th-34%

6th-31%

7th-26%

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Yes, but you still have to be smart when you pick your spots and fast enough to recover. 

Omaha's first on Friday was the polar opposite of that. 

Pinching and activating are two different things .....that was a bad pinch.

24 minutes ago, tnt said:

So basically guys that didn't play as much should consider the transfer portal.  That about sums up society today.  Don't work harder or work on your weaknesses, just find someone who will accept you as is. 

If you're an NHL draft pick, your goal is to play after college. Actually playing is an important part of development. Just my opinion, but what was unique about this year (there's no close 2nd either) was the roster management. The number of locks that I didn't understand. Why some players could make a mistake and not miss a shift, while others won't play another shift after. There were just so many decisions that I didn't get. 

@Siouxfancrazy92 you're not wrong, I would add 24 as well to the list. I thought he was really good as a Freshman. Basically hasn't played this year.

I want to clarify; I don't think this has been a pattern previously for Berry. This is the first time I'll worry about young talent leaving this program for the Portal. I won't blame any of them for thinking they could develop better elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Both require you "be smart when you pick your spots". ;) 

The difference is when dmen activate your team has control of the puck with a forward or two rolling to the top..... pinching you don't have control of the puck and your forwards are in front of you.

24 may have saved a goal with a blocked shot on Saturday night. He looks to have a place and a role on this team moving forward, and I really hope he stays. Granted, he's -8 in only 11 games played this season. But IMO he passes the eye test much more so than 4.

Why hasn't 24 played more regularly? Did he have an injury to start the season that I'm forgetting? I just have to think there's a reason. The coaches see these guys every day, and Berry and co. know a bajillion times more about hockey than I do. 

3 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

24 may have saved a goal with a blocked shot on Saturday night. He looks to have a place and a role on this team moving forward, and I really hope he stays. Granted, he's -8 in only 11 games played this season. But IMO he passes the eye test much more so than 4.

Why hasn't 24 played more regularly? Did he have an injury to start the season that I'm forgetting? I just have to think there's a reason. The coaches see these guys every day, and Berry and co. know a bajillion times more about hockey than I do. 

Yes, he was out for quite a while early in the season. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, tnt said:

Yes, he was out for quite a while early in the season. 

5 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Bast didn’t play until Thanksgiving weekend for added reference on how long he was out. 

Thanks guys for the reminder. I'll just say this about 24: obviously not the next Cale Makar, but it was refreshing to see a capable defensive-defenseman on the third d-pair.

8 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Thanks guys for the reminder. I'll just say this about 24: obviously not the next Cale Makar, but it was refreshing to see a capable defensive-defenseman on the third d-pair.

It’s really funny to me seeing 24 referred to as a defensive defenseman because the first time I saw him play in juniors in Alberta he had 2 goals and an assist in the 1st period of the game. His defensive game has actually improved a lot since then. 

39 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

He had a shaky start on Saturday as he iced the puck the first two times he touched it...settle in nicely after that though.

1 minute ago, petey23 said:

He had a shaky start on Saturday as he iced the puck the first two times he touched it...settle in nicely after that though.

If he's got the puck and going to have a less than positive outcome, I'll take icing over the other options I've seen this year:

- tape pass to other team
- blind pass into space

I saw 24 play one USHL game in person. I wasn't sure he was ready for college and he was coming that fall. He's improved but still is a work in progress. He needs a full, no dings on the body, season to put it all together. 

Just now, siouxfaninseattle said:

Yep they won the faceoff and he immediately iced the puck. 

Sometimes that is the right play, like if you're gassed and can't change (no TO). 

Wasn't the case this instance, but still not the worst possible play. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Sometimes that is the right play, like if you're gassed and can't change (no TO). 

Wasn't the case this instance, but still not the worst possible play. 

He had logged about 2 seconds of ice time at this point. But yes nothing wrong with an icing, especially directly after an icing where you get possession but your lungs are still on fire.