SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

4 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I mean, we're losing 3 guys with a lot of college hockey experience and could lose a few more. So, there's gonna be some turnover. Frisch coming back is a huge deal. If that happens, we should be ok. If he doesn't, we're going to need to hit on one portal guy and maybe even 2. When I say hit, at minimum, we need a guy like Sidorski and despite his inconsistent play of late, Ty Farmer has had a good year overall, IMO. Two strong defensive-minded d-men are needed.

Man you have seen something way different with Farmer than I have. He has been the most disappointing player for me this season. Thought he would bring much more offense, puck moving, and just overall smart decisions but instead he has been a turnover machine.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Man you have seen something way different with Farmer than I have. He has been the most disappointing player for me this season. Thought he would bring much more offense, puck moving, and just overall smart decisions but instead he has been a turnover machine.

I never expected him to be a massive offensive threat based on his time with UMass. That's from stuff I saw and from what I was told about him coming in. I was expecting him to be responsible and to cover consistently for guys like Moore to wheel around in the zone and make plays. He brought that in the first half.

His turnovers in the second half have been rough. Loved his game in the first half. Was solid. Got progressively worse, unfortunately.

All of that said, I'd welcome a player like him next season. Same with a guy like Sidorski.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Kleven hasn't been our problem this season. 

When he keeps getting kicked out of games and suspended that is a problem.   We can go down the road of he is targeted by the officials but as a player you need to be smart enough not to put yourself in those positions.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, siouxweet said:

When he keeps getting kicked out of games and suspended that is a problem.   We can go down the road of he is targeted by the officials but as a player you need to be smart enough not to put yourself in those positions.

All fair, but he's absolutely been a contributor and likely our best defensemen. We'd be even worse without him.

• Upvote 2

Offense should go up next year, and defense will probably be about the same. Berry needs to really hammer home that breakout passes need to be short and sharp. This team can and will only win games next year, with a very aggressive forecheck. I’ve listened to multiple gopher player interviews this year, and the kids always mention forecheck forecheck forecheck. Keep the puck in the offensive zone, and the pressure on. PP and PK is great, but the fundamentals win championships!

14 minutes ago, 1972 said:

the most dissapointing player to me has been Moore...seems like he forgot how to play D over the summer

Confidence, confidence, confidence. He seems to have forgotten he's really frickin' talented. The play last weekend when Savoie (I think?) walked through four well-placed defenders and scored. Moore needs to bury him. I think it's mainly about rebuilding that. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/14/2023 at 12:21 PM, SKondrashkin said:

It would be a godsend if Frisch returned.  Caulfield would be a welcomed return, but nothing vital.   Can't imagine Johnson not going portal. 

Best case scenario, at least starting out: 

Portal
Hellsten
Portal
Johnson

Frisch - Moore
Strathmann - Bast
Wiebe - Livanavage
(Komzak, Benoit)

Blake - McLaughlin - Perron
Gaber - Schmaltz - James
Emerson - Jamernik - Caulfield
Strinden - Costantini - Portz
(Ness, Kunz, Croal, Montgomery)

I wouldn’t say its a given that several of those sophomores/jrs will be back. There have been several that have been jacked around this yr. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see 4-5 guys hit the portal. The coaching staff keeps preaching culture but going to the portal every yr doesn’t show much about culture.  

8 minutes ago, Siouxfancrazy92 said:

The coaching staff keeps preaching culture but going to the portal every yr doesn’t show much about culture.  

What is the other option?
This year they brought in a couple dmen and a goalie via portal.
I suppose they could have brought in some recruits that weren't ready yet or try to find some leftover overagers in the junior ranks.
The portal is here to stay, unfortunately.  Other schools have used it to their advantage.  As have we.

I'd be in favor of throttling back to only use the portal for goaltending this offseason. 

Bring in a portal G and depending either a recruit or portal G. Bring two, retain Cheese, let 32 decide if we're carrying 3 or 4 G. 

Defense? Bring in five or six from the pipeline. No portals.

And no incoming portals at forward unless there's an exodus out. 

I don't believe portals help the room (Berry's "culture").
Portals are "renters" and you need "owners". 

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'd be in favor of throttling back to only use the portal for goaltending this offseason. 

Bring in a portal G and depending either a recruit or portal G. Bring two, retain Cheese, let 32 decide if we're carrying 3 or 4 G. 

This sounds reasonable, but one portal Dman might be necessary.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Counterpoints: Connor Ford and Westin Michaud. Don't plan on it, but if we can get the best, do it. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, brianvf said:

What is the other option?
This year they brought in a couple dmen and a goalie via portal.
I suppose they could have brought in some recruits that weren't ready yet or try to find some leftover overagers in the junior ranks.
The portal is here to stay, unfortunately.  Other schools have used it to their advantage.  As have we.

Don't have a year where you have a positional group where you don't have a single player ready to come in. I don't think the ridiculousness of that truly resonates with everyone. You're the coach of UND, having two high level defensive recruits in a Freshman class shouldn't be hard. What happens now? You have to go back to the portal this upcoming offseason, because you can't have X amount of Freshman on defense. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

This sounds reasonable, but one portal Dman might be necessary.

Give me a choice of do whatever is needed to retain 15 or portal in a guy, it's not a choice: 15. 

Even if it's 15, (4 or 24 because other leaves), and six freshmen, I'd roll with it. (Komzak, Benoit, Wiebe, Livanavage, Strathmann, Jubenvill) 

5 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Counterpoints: Connor Ford and Westin Michaud. Don't plan on it, but if we can get the best, do it. 

Really could use a dependable all around guy like Connor Ford this year, but since his numbers weren’t huge last year, people think he wasn’t a big loss.  That is why going solely on offensive stats is a big mistake.  Heart and soul guys that do things right and make the smart play 90% of the time are indispensable.

• Upvote 2

On 2/14/2023 at 6:37 PM, SiouxScore said:

Yeah Farmer turnover cost us the game against Duluth.