SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Then why didn't the B1G start killing it back in 2011? Realignment was announced in Summer 2011 and took effect with the 2013-14 season. They could have started recruiting off the B1G brand name 12 years ago. So why didn't the B1G do better before this?

It was going to take time…it did…now we’re here. One and done tourney, they will not win every year but they will be the best conference with the most blue chips. I’ve seen it coming for 2-3 years now tracking recruiting.

I used to chuckle at myself when I read posts on this site about BU, BC, Michigan turning over kids quickly and how it would never actually work. It doesn’t always work but it’s sure fun to watch skilled kids. MN has a really nice blend of blue chips and very high end role players…they’ll be a tough out for a while now.

But, getting dominated in recruiting in Western Canada by DU is not something that can happen. Really need to restore that pipeline if we can’t hang with the US blue chips. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Goon said:

Or... maybe he went on his own. 

Is that the case? The do have informal meetings, but their true year end meetings are not until a week after the season is over. The only two players that left that week were Portz and Moore. Could just be a coincidence though. 

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

It was going to take time…it did…now we’re here. One and done tourney, they will not win every year but they will be the best conference with the most blue chips. I’ve seen it coming for 2-3 years now tracking recruiting.

I used to chuckle at myself when I read posts on this site about BU, BC, Michigan turning over kids quickly and how it would never actually work. It doesn’t always work but it’s sure fun to watch skilled kids. MN has a really nice blend of blue chips and very high end role players…they’ll be a tough out for a while now.

But, getting dominated in recruiting in Western Canada by DU is not something that can happen. Really need to restore that pipeline if we can’t hang with the US blue chips. 

Minnesota's recent success has zero to do with the B1G and everything to do with replacing Don Lucia with Bob Motzko. They were stuck in the mud with Lucia for years. Same with Michigan and Red Berenson a few years ago. I really hope that doesn't happen with Berry and UND.

And being loaded with blue chippers is great.....until those NHL suits start waving entry-level contracts in their faces after one or two college seasons and they sign them. A mix of 3-4 year and 1-2 year players is probably the best formula for success. Otherwise, you are starting over every October and you never get to build on what you started. That is what we have to establish in Grand Forks if we are going to get back to winning.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Minnesota's recent success has zero to do with the B1G and everything to do with replacing Don Lucia with Bob Motzko. They were stuck in the mud with Lucia for years. Same with Michigan and Red Berenson a few years ago. I really hope that doesn't happen with Berry and UND.

And being loaded with blue chippers is great.....until those NHL suits start waving entry-level contracts in their faces after one or two college seasons and they sign them. A mix of 3-4 year and 1-2 year players is probably the best formula for success. Otherwise, you are starting over every October and you never get to build on what you started. That is what we have to establish in Grand Forks if we are going to get back to winning.

Regarding Minnesota's recent success: perhaps it could be a combination of both.

Regarding a formula for success, I think you are spot on, and I think UND is actually well-suited and well-positioned to pursue such a mix of players. The most recent UND championship team had such a formula.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Agree there 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

We need to recruit better plain and simple. We’ve gotten some good ones but we’ve whiffed a ton the past 3-4 years. I mean, the fact we have to hit the portal so hard or keep players that 5th year must state that right? 

we’re either not recruiting kids with good attitudes or we’re not developing…it’s one or the other 

Nailed it - the big question is do the Coaches recognize this and do they have a plan to get us on track?  I really thought that after 2016 we would be lights out for recruiting - especially with  Karl.  Now we can't even keep our goalie stream going and are in the portal for a goalie for the third year.  Also we have to replace our entire defense.  Development overall has  been a problem.  How many scorers have we had fizzle out?  The thing I worry about is that coaches can be very blind when it comes to their approach and programs.  And I don't count on Chaves to correct things.  The ship needs to be righted very soon or we could be in serious trouble especially since Denver and Minny are nailing it.  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

Until Grand Forks gets a Chipotle, I'm not sure it's realistic to pull in big time recruits.

So that's what Motzko meant when he said his recruits get burritos for their NIL.
It's all about the Chipotle, with a subtle dig to UND because they don't have one!

Damn it GF, make it happen to we can land some chippahs!!

31 minutes ago, brianvf said:

So that's what Motzko meant when he said his recruits get burritos for their NIL.
It's all about the Chipotle, with a subtle dig to UND because they don't have one!

Our Mayor should have reason to make it happen for two reasons then, his city and his Alma Mater. 

3 hours ago, brianvf said:

Yeah, but we got the Pepper!

9 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Yeah, but we got the Pepper!

These recruits won't know about the Pepper until they actually move to GF.  They've all heard of Chipotle.
Maybe Berry needs to be stopping by the Pepper with these recruits after the tour of the Ralph.

Seriously? A Chipotle is the key to hockey success?

They Mayor has NO authority or ability to bring it to GF. This is capitalism. If they want to come they come unless you expect the Mayor to give tax credits that all other restaurants did not get.

1 hour ago, shep said:

Seriously? A Chipotle is the key to hockey success?

They Mayor has NO authority or ability to bring it to GF. This is capitalism. If they want to come they come unless you expect the Mayor to give tax credits that all other restaurants did not get.

I think all of the talk is tongue in cheek, because Red Pepper isn’t the answer to recruiting either.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Goon said:

I don't get the fascination and hype about Chipotle, I think they're mediocre at best. 

Without risking getting burned at the stake, you can say the same about Red Pepper, but how many reference that from their college days.

3 hours ago, Goon said:

I don't get the fascination and hype about Chipotle, I think they're mediocre at best. 

Don’t underestimate people’s desire for Chipotle for lunch and blood in your stool later in the day.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Goon said:

What, you don’t like one bite entirely rice, the next bite entirely vegetables, the next bite entirely meat? 

• Upvote 2