SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

44 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Sorry if I missed it, but is there at least a framework of next season’s schedule available?

NCHC schedule isn't posted yet, so just non-conf listed as of now.

vs. Manitoba (exhibition, single game), Oct. 7
vs. Wisconsin and Army, Ice Breaker Tournament, Oct. 13-14
vs. Minnesota, Oct. 20-21
vs. MSU-Mankato, Oct. 27-28
at Boston University, Nov. 3-4
vs. Bemidji State, Nov. 24-25
vs. Alaska (Fairbanks), Jan. 5-6

Note: UND does not travel to Western Michigan in 2023-24. St. Cloud State does not come to Grand Forks.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This pushes back against the whole "B1G Taking Over The World" narrative pushed by some on here.

Great pick up! :)

Also, they haven’t won the big game despite some on here thinking it was a foregone conclusion either MN or Michigan already had the title in hand.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Can we please flip 2 recruits for the last 2 spots - a D & F. We did good in the portal with the upperclassmen, but time to get back to what UND has been good at forever. Recruiting.

Go steal some recruits. Who care's if it's against the gentleman's agreement.

11 minutes ago, ChadR said:

Can we please flip 2 recruits for the last 2 spots - a D & F. We did good in the portal with the upperclassmen, but time to get back to what UND has been good at forever. Recruiting.

Steal someone from Wisconsin, they’re no gentlemen.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, ChadR said:

For D, I'd rather find a SO or JR in the portal.  Even if Strathmann is delaying a year, that's still four FR D coming in...that'd be a big class to potentially replace in four years (in the unlikely circumstance that they all stay all four years).

It'd be nice to start to balance the classes out a bit.

Really like the Pehrson addition. Right now I think I'd lean on splitting the two seniors/grads. Something like Livanavage/Wiebe-Pehrson, Pyke-Zmolek.

Something like:

Gaber-McLaughlin-Blake

James-Berg-Perron

Kunz-Schmaltz-Emerson

Johannes-Jamernik-Strinden EX-Ness

Livanavage-Pehrson

Pyke-Zmolek

Benoit-Wiebe

Persson

Hedquist

Scratch-Albrecht, Montgomery, Komzak

3 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Really like the Pehrson addition. Right now I think I'd lean on splitting the two seniors/grads. Something like Livanavage/Wiebe-Pehrson, Pyke-Zmolek.

I'm thankful I never listen to any games on the radio.  It'd be incredibly confusing listening to the radio announcers call the game if Persson and Pehrson were on the ice at the same time.  ;) :D  

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

For D, I'd rather find a SO or JR in the portal.  Even if Strathmann is delaying a year, that's still four FR D coming in...that'd be a big class to potentially replace in four years (in the unlikely circumstance that they all stay all four years).

It'd be nice to start to balance the classes out a bit.

Definitely not a sophomore, as with Strathmann you would have 7 defenseman for the following two seasons, how do you make room for a Hensler, Felicio, and the already committed McInnis? How many more years can Ausmus play juniors?  What younger portal would want to come in trying to crack that lineup.

57 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Something like:

Gaber-McLaughlin-Blake

James-Berg-Perron

Kunz-Schmaltz-Emerson

Livanavage-Pehrson

Pyke-Zmolek

Benoit-Wiebe

Persson

Hedquist

Wouldn’t mind Livanavage and Zmolek growing together for down the road though, as it sounds like Pehrson could work with either pairing if Pyke is going to be asked to provide some offense.  

1 hour ago, SiouxScore said:

Something like:

Gaber-McLaughlin-Blake

James-Berg-Perron

Kunz-Schmaltz-Emerson

Livanavage-Pehrson

Pyke-Zmolek

Benoit-Wiebe

Persson

Hedquist

Gaber-McLaughlin-Blake 

This line would be fast and skilled but awfully light. Also, imo Gaber and Blake would be better on different lines. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

@brianvfI'd honestly only claim 7D for now until Strathmann is official one way or the other.

Also, Albrecht, Persson, Jamernik, Gaber, and Ness each have two seasons of play yet remaining. By eligibility they'd be "Jr". (They all played the 2020-21 year which doesn't count and 'never happened'.) 

Albrecht shouldn’t be part of this list. 

• Downvote 2

4 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Something like:

Gaber-McLaughlin-Blake

James-Berg-Perron

Kunz-Schmaltz-Emerson

Livanavage-Pehrson

Pyke-Zmolek

Benoit-Wiebe

Persson

Hedquist

Blake/Berg/Emerson

James/McL/Gaber

Perron/Schmaltz/Johannes

Kunz/Jammer/Strinden;Ness;Albrecht;Mont

Pyke/Weibe

Livanavage/Perhson

Benoit/Zmolek

Komzak may or may not play.

enter goalieman…..

Emerson will be great in front to get Blakes rebounds and help create space.

Gaber should have plenty of opportunities with all the speed with him.

I think Johannes will surprise, and having him with Perron and Schmaltz could be a “top line” killer. Win draws and make things difficult.

Conversations with Albrecht had to have some discussion about his role. One doesn't come back for a 5th year not to play. If Strinden has another year like last I'd be shocked if he returns for a 3rd. When I look at the forward lines above I like what is there. Guys can't get squeezed again at the risk of having them bolt.  The 10 and 19 cards were grossly overplayed this past season and it cost UND a couple solid guys to the portal that had years left that contributed and could have been developed further. Just my opinion but 21 needs to be in the lineup every night. He's a top 9 guy. Flip him with Johannes to pair with Schmaltz and Perron.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Conversations with Albrecht had to have some discussion about his role. One doesn't come back for a 5th year not to play. If Strinden has another year like last I'd be shocked if he returns for a 3rd. When I look at the forward lines above I like what is there. Guys can't get squeezed again at the risk of having them bolt.  The 10 and 19 cards were grossly overplayed this past season and it cost UND a couple solid guys to the portal that had years left that contributed and could have been developed further. Just my opinion but 21 needs to be in the lineup every night. He's a top 9 guy. Flip him with Johannes to pair with Schmaltz and Perron.

Albrecht said he isn't going to the NHL so this is probably it for him.  Loves it here and just wants to play so I am guessing he doesn't have any delusions of grandeur of being a Top 6 or anything like that.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Also, they haven’t won the big game despite some on here thinking it was a foregone conclusion either MN or Michigan already had the title in hand.

Since realignment, the B1G is still 0-10; they still haven't won an NCAA Championship. No, the sky isn't falling. 

NCHC 5

Hockey East 2 

ECAC 2

Covid 1 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Off-season time killer, predictions for next year. (Someone else can do the defensive core :-) )

Gaber -

• 2022 stats: 20 Goals 17 assists -- 37 points
  • 2023 prediction - 24 Goals 22 assists -- 46 points
  • Note - Overall should improve uptake in goals & points one would assume for 2023- '24 season 

McLaughlin - 

• 2022 stats: 2 Goals 13 assists -- 15 points
  • 2023 prediction - 14 Goals 20 assists -- 34 points
  • If he doesn't hit a million pipes again in the '23-'24 season, will easily be a double digit goal scorer, no question. Imagine where last year's team would have been had Owen scored more than 2 goals on the season ffs?! 

Blake - 

• 2022 stats: 16 Goals 26 assists -- 42 points
  • 2023 prediction - 25 Goals 32 assists -- 57 points
  • Your '23-'24 Hobey (Blaker) Baker winner or a top 3 candidate 100%

James - 

• 2022 stats: 8 Goals 8 assists -- 16 points
  • 2023 prediction - 15 Goals 18 assists -- 33 points
  • Will have a huge sophomore year, will get stronger this off-season and that will make him even more explosive and faster - crazy! Could exceed projected point total.

Berg - 

• 2022 stats: 10 Goals 24 assists -- 24 points
  • 2023 prediction - 14 Goals 22 assists -- 36 points
  • Have Cameron scoring a few more goals but have lower assists total, his point outcome "could" exceed this prediction. All depends on his role, line mates and chemistry for next year.

Perron -

• 2022 (USHL) stats: 22 Goals 47 assists -- 69 points
  • 2023 prediction - 13 Goals 22 assists -- 35 points
  • Listed at 5'9 ~ 165 lb, it'll take him a bit to transition to the college level/game. Everything I've heard, he's more of a set up guy but can certainly bury the puck in the back of the net too. How good will this freshman be? TBD.
    • Note best "freshie forwards in the last decade" Pinto, Brock, Jackson B. Is Jayden in this company? TBD...

Kunz -

• 2022 stats: 5 Goals 0 assists -- 5 points
  • 2023 prediction - 11 Goals 13 assists -- 24 points
  • Have to think Kunz takes a huge jump in development and continues to work on foot speed this offseason and rounding out other areas of his game. Should be on PP unit #1 or #2 and be the focal point being the big body in front of the net on the PP 100%. No way he doesn't Surpass his point total of 5 from last year...

Schmaltz - 

• 2022 stats: 5 Goals 7 assists -- 12 points
  • 2023 prediction - 10 Goals 14 assists -- 24 points
  • Jake is a ? mark for next year depending on role and what line & players are on his line. Needs a jump in his development with consistent scoring and strength. Skill is there...work (workout) with your cousin, Nick this off-season as Nick finally got the message to shoot more in the NHL and he's become more of an offense threat and a great puck retreater with his stick lifts etc. Jake needs to carbon copy this 100%.

Emerson - 

• 2022 (USHL) stats: 30 Goals 33 assists -- 69 points
  • 2023 prediction - 8 Goals 10 assists -- 18 points
  • Haven't watched/seen enough of his game. Everything I hear is that he goes in the paint and goes to the net to get his goals. If he has more speed than Jackson Kuntz, there's no reason to assume he'll have more production output as a freshman comparing Emerson and Kunz USHL stats.

Jamernik - 

• 2022 stats: 3 Goals 11 assists -- 14 points
  • 2023 prediction - 7 Goals 13 assists -- 20 points
  • Should have better production next year. Needs to find that scoring/production touch. Has the skill & speed, just isn't a lethal scorer at all but serves other roles. We shall see.

Strinden - 

• 2022 stats: 3 Goals 6 assists -- 9 points
  • 2023 prediction - 9 Goals 15 assists -- 24 points
  • Has the skill and rounded game. Depending what opportunity given line and teammates, could certainly exceed 9 goals next year in my opinion.

Ness - 

• 2022 stats: 5 Goals 1 assists -- 6 points
  • 2023 prediction - 7 Goals 5 assists -- 12 points

Johannes - 

• 2023 prediction - 13 Goals 16 assists -- 29 points
  • 2023 prediction - Honestly, TBD, depends what line, role, who he is playing with. 
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Goon said:

Since realignment, the B1G is still 0-10; they still haven't won an NCAA Championship. No, the sky isn't falling. 

NCHC 5

Hockey East 2 

ECAC 2

Covid 1 

Agree, but we still need to be proactive.

The B1G has the attention of the hockey world with a combo of the talent in Mi, Mn but also the improvement of Penn State and Ohio State along with coaching changes at Wisconsin they have gained momentum. The B1G also has the advantage of exposure because of their other sports and their TV contracts. The bigger markets are an advantage. 
Couple that with UND and UMD struggling this year and the fact the NCHC was absent from the frozen four for the first time since God made ice,  we are facing some challenges. 
The response must be from the NCHC not just UND, Denver and UMD. The conference needs to proactively have a conference discussion regarding NIL and the conference might help schools moving forward.
The conference should be actively courting ASU and considering Mankato, Bemidji, Northern Michigan, and (in due time) St. Thomas and Augustana. 

Having said all of that, it starts at home and the Hawks/Sioux need to get back on top quickly.