SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ The Herb Stone Monument vs. JBU - Friday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

We saw what this team can be for stretches in the 1st and 2nd where they had great offensive zone possession and cycled the opponent to death finishing with a goal and flashing a lot of skill and we saw why this team isn't what they could be. They are horrendous defensively in every facet as well as not having a goaltender who can bail you out. Even when things were going our way you saw SCSU stick to their d-zone coverage responsibilities and try to tie up sticks out front as well as clog the middle they also had a goaltender come up with a couple big saves.

The turnovers we saw from Moore and Farmer tonight looked like a mite game out there, just absolutely stupid hockey. Berry is supposed to have a background with defensemen well it may have helped us land a couple high end D but man oh man the last couple years our d-zone coverage is hard to make sense of at all as it is basically non-existent. Our transition game that used to be a calling card is nowhere near that level know and it seems about 3/4 of our breakouts are just throwing it off the glass or flipping it out. 

Both Hellsten and DeRidder have really struggled at times and you really wonder how at a place like UND is the goaltending situation so bad but they also are hung out to dry multiple times a game.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Godsmack said:

I don’t know how the Rah Rah UND fans on the Rah Rah Sioux FB page can possibly spin this turd of a game tonight. It’ll sure be fun to see them try. 

"We played quite well against the #3 ranked team. Not a bad outcome, would have been better if we would gotten a few good bounces."

8 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

I apologize for repeating myself.  But damn, has any UND ever been so highly rated pre-season and then sucked so incredibly badly?  Seriously...ever?

I guess that’s my point…you’re talking about a preseason #3 pick. This team was supposed to be really good. They had some skill, decent freshman group, reliable transfers, tons of returners. I mean wtf 

• Upvote 2

Just now, scpa0305 said:

I guess that’s my point…you’re talking about a preseason #3 pick. This team was supposed to be really good. They had some skill, decent freshman group, reliable transfers, tons of returners. I mean wtf 

It’s mind boggling 

The UND culture of "old time take dumb penalty hockey" 

It's like Berry is not willing to adapt to how the game is now and staying with how it was 10 years ago.

Instead of trying to send a message, do what Western Michigan did and get back in the game. 

Not even mad or disappointed about the game, just don't see it getting better this season.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SIOUXFAN97 said:

is this bubs fault or his staff?

Who knows…I’m guessing he’s scratching his head at the moment. I really like Bubs a lot. I don’t think he should go anywhere. But this isn’t a great spot. He won some conference chips but the lack of consistently in the NCAAs has been disappointing. This is a tough spot given the hype for this year. Really unfortunate. Given the departures after the year, next year could be more of the same.

Tomorrow is probably a must win.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Both Hellsten and DeRidder have really struggled at times and you really wonder how at a place like UND is the goaltending situation so bad but they also are hung out to dry multiple times a game.

Desperately need a better defense but I've got to wonder if they try Johnson at some point.