SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ The Herb Stone Monument vs. JBU - Friday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

15 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

We can’t always be number one in the nation guys. These kids are still young and learning to play with each other. The pairwise doesn’t mean anything until the 2nd half and that’s where we shine.  
It’s sarcasm for those that don’t know

You need to work on your Stuart Smalley impression. ;) 

1 hour ago, BusinessSoot said:

Obviously no “glue” or not enough of it in locker room. And for those who thought “we have the best d-core in college hockey”……. 

6 came in too early, and until he gets things straight between the ears, he won’t be a solid contributor. The kids body language when things don’t go perfectly is something to watch. So to say “give 6 a chance”….he has had plenty. 4 has never committed to playing d in his own zone since he arrived. 3  not  much of an upgrade, did he bring any leadership to the room.? 15 and 25 are having seasons to forget. 7 has been decent and 2 was certainly not the first (or second or third?) choice out of the portal. 24 injured didn’t help matters.

Goaltending…….3 net minders chosen by the staff, including a transfer this year, to hold the fort while the others develop. Failed formula to this point. Either KG can’t effectively communicate/teach or he is being tuned out. Very puzzling. Johnson get a shot to start soon? Can’t hurt.

Consistent scoring from forwards obviously a concern again this year. Contributors on a team last year, seeing reduced roles. So, qu bring back some 5th year guys to “make a run this year” going to cause more harm than good when it comes to forward development?  That was the risk.

Some of this years short comings are on the young men on the roster, yes, but this staff has chosen the players to be here and until there is more “glue” in the locker room, and steady progress on the ice,  this talented roster on paper is in for a very long rest of the season.  

Attitude reflects leadership. 

Hope ship sets sail in right direction tonight.

Maybe the coaches need to figure out what they want this program to be.  1-2 yr guys or 4 yr guys. They had 9 freshman last year. Looks to me like they didn’t do a very good job of getting them ready last year. Don’t need 5 yr guys. They’re only here for themselves…one last push to sign pro deals.  Put more focus on the 4 yr guys.  Also, its pretty obvious that some of the d are held to a different level of accountability than others. U have 6 that has a total of 35 NCAA game making mistakes yes but he’s also making the same mistakes that 2/3/7 who have over 350 NCAA games combine r making.   You want to get the defense attention don’t be scared to bench the veteran guys. Might tighten things up back there. 

37 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

Well, the sun did indeed come up this morning.  Having said that, the sun will be setting soon on this season in the absence of a miracle turnaround.  Playoff hopes could be effectively killed by Christmas, and that scenario would be the third time Berry's teams have missed the NCAA's in his relatively short tenure.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that playoff hopes are pretty much dead already. 

Could they turn it around?  Definitely.
Have they shown signs of being a good team?  Definitely.
Have they shown that they can be consistent enough to turn it around and fix the issues?  No.

Even if they win tonight, I have even more doubts about next weekend (putting a team ranked near the bottom of the nation in both goaltending and defense against the best offensive team in the nation sounds like a couple blowout losses to me).

This season is shaping up to be worse than the 01-02 season (first in the new Ralph).  And for a team that was ranked as high as #3 in the preseason polls, that is just mind-boggling and incredibly frustrating.

• Upvote 1

Per InStat, last night's xG: 4.3 for UND, 3.6 for SCSU. It's almost incredible the Fighting Hawks lost that game by five goals. Going strictly by xG, UND's record would be 12-4 this season (losses: Minn x2, ASU, DU).

That’s from Schlossman. (XG is expected goals based on shot location and quality)

Who wants to tell him that and $5 will only get you a 6” ham at Subway, not a 12-4 record. 

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

That’s from Schlossman. (XG is expected goals based on shot location and quality)

Who wants to tell him that and $5 will only get you a 6” ham at Subway, not a 12-4 record. 

Maybe we can compete for the xG national championship this year?
It could be a pink banner in the rafters.

59 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that playoff hopes are pretty much dead already. 

Could they turn it around?  Definitely.
Have they shown signs of being a good team?  Definitely.
Have they shown that they can be consistent enough to turn it around and fix the issues?  No.

Even if they win tonight, I have even more doubts about next weekend (putting a team ranked near the bottom of the nation in both goaltending and defense against the best offensive team in the nation sounds like a couple blowout losses to me).

This season is shaping up to be worse than the 01-02 season (first in the new Ralph).  And for a team that was ranked as high as #3 in the preseason polls, that is just mind-boggling and incredibly frustrating.

I just completely disagree that the season is over, which I recognize places me in a small group.  I have thought about a comparison to 2001-02 myself though.  It turned out that Andy Kollar was not ready to be a starting goaltender, and Blais brought in Sembieda as a hail Mary.  Unfortunately, that pass fell incomplete, as he did not stabilize the position.  That's the main issue with this team.  Yes, they make mistakes, blow their own chances and give up good ones, but every team does every game.  You just can't have an 0.870 save percentage and expect to be good.

Super predictable message board response to the xG data.  Of course wins are what ultimately matter, but the advanced stats aren't meaningless.  They give an indication of how the team is actually playing.  Given equal goaltending and an assumption that bounces eventually even out, it tells you this team is not playing poorly.

Back to 2002, this team is more talented and experienced and is playing better than that team did.  It had four freshmen D who would go on to be great and play in a national title game, but their first year was full of growing pains. 

The only hope here is that DeRidder finds his form.  If he becomes a 0.920 guy, this team can play with and beat anyone 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jk said:

I just completely disagree that the season is over, which I recognize places me in a small group.  I have thought about a comparison to 2001-02 myself though.  It turned out that Andy Kollar was not ready to be a starting goaltender, and Blais brought in Sembieda as a hail Mary.  Unfortunately, that pass fell incomplete, as he did not stabilize the position.  That's the main issue with this team.  Yes, they make mistakes, blow their own chances and give up good ones, but every team does every game.  You just can't have an 0.870 save percentage and expect to be good.

Super predictable message board response to the xG data.  Of course wins are what ultimately matter, but the advanced stats aren't meaningless.  They give an indication of how the team is actually playing.  Given equal goaltending and an assumption that bounces eventually even out, it tells you this team is not playing poorly.

Back to 2002, this team is more talented and experienced and is playing better than that team did.  It had four freshmen D who would go on to be great and play in a national title game, but their first year was full of growing pains. 

The only hope here is that DeRidder finds his form.  If he becomes a 0.920 guy, this team can play with and beat anyone 

ErKPXC_VoAEdr1L.jpg

Didn't we go thru this inflated analytics/statistics BS one of the last times UND missed the NCAAs cause Schloss was pounding the relevance of puck possession time?

At this stage Ws are all that matter.

15 minutes ago, jk said:

Speaking of that season Sembieda came in, if I recall didn’t he show up in time for the GLI and stand on his head and help win it for UND? I feel like that’s my recollection. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Speaking of that season Sembieda came in, if I recall didn’t he show up in time for the GLI and stand on his head and help win it for UND? I feel like that’s my recollection. 

He didn't just stand on his head, he did all the break dancing moves.  Flying all over the blue paint.  But it was not sustainable, finding yourself too often flat on your back ten feet from the crease. 

11 minutes ago, jk said:

He didn't just stand on his head, he did all the break dancing moves.  Flying all over the blue paint.  But it was not sustainable, finding yourself too often flat on your back ten feet from the crease. 

Truth! That acrobatic play may have been the reason that cost Vernon his starting job at CC. Fun and entertaining to watch as a fan but also very inconsistent. 

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

No way. One bad season doesn’t mean you move on. 

I'm not saying anyone should be fired right now but you could also look at it as 3 bad seasons in his last 6 though. Anytime UND does not make the national tournament with the resources we have it is a bad season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jk said:

Given equal goaltending and an assumption that bounces eventually even out, it tells you this team is not playing poorly.

I think the only series this year that we’ve gotten equal goaltending is the UMN series.  They’re playing poorly (and well) in stretches of each game. The problem is that the poorly played portions of each game have costed them with the losses. 

Certainly goaltending needs to improve but this has been a team effort in giving up goals.  I can’t count the number of defensive mistakes -bad passes, lack of hustle getting back, failure to clear the zone, losing puck battles etc. - that have left our goaltenders out to dry.  Goalies have been poor but they are certainly not alone.