SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

12 minutes ago, shep said:

I don't want to read your mind, but IF you think that whining about the coaches and UND football in general on this fan forum is THE WAY to incite change, I am sorry, but that is just nuts. 

Put it this way: If you were Chaves would you care for a second what a bunch of know-it-alls think? Would you really care what SHEP wants for UND football?

I don’t think this fan forum is used to make any decisions, so let’s move on from that silly theory right now. 

This fan forum, however, can be used to sample and discuss the opinion and perspective of alumni and fans who really care. Perhaps some even speak with dollars, i don’t know, based on anonymity. But again, this is all just discussion amongst people who care and follow UND athletics very closely; much closer than your “average” fan.

8 minutes ago, shep said:

I don't want to read your mind, but IF you think that whining about the coaches and UND football in general on this fan forum is THE WAY to incite change, I am sorry, but that is just nuts. 

Put it this way: If you were Chaves would you care for a second what a bunch of know-it-alls think? Would you really care what SHEP wants for UND football?

On an individual level, depends on your donation level. I would think Chaves absolutely would care about the sentiment of the fan base. IMO, things feel different this year, than it has previously. I think the tide has turned on Bubba.*

*I said this yesterday, it'll take something (playoff win or two), to change that. 

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, wheelsup said:

UND showed the template on how we can win this year against NDSU.  For some reason Danny has been unwilling to build on that gameplan.  If we went with that yesterday we would have won the game and the UNI game would have been substantially different as well.  The o-line is one of the strengths of this team particularly the run blocking.

This!

1 hour ago, AJS said:

On an individual level, depends on your donation level. I would think Chaves absolutely would care about the sentiment of the fan base. IMO, things feel different this year, than it has previously. I think the tide has turned on Bubba.*

*I said this yesterday, it'll take something (playoff win or two), to change that. 

"The fan base" spends little time thinking about the football team other than game days. They attend home games which are 99 percent wins. Beating SU was another step. If I was a fan that found no joy in UND football I would find something else to do on Saturdays (and the every waking hour spent spewing negativity on a fan site).  

• Downvote 1

54 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

"The fan base" spends little time thinking about the football team other than game days. They attend home games which are 99 percent wins. Beating SU was another step. If I was a fan that found no joy in UND football I would find something else to do on Saturdays (and the every waking hour spent spewing negativity on a fan site).  

Apathy is real thing in sports. My hope would be that those in charge would notice it before it really latches on. There are a lot of NDSU fans by the look of attendance that are finding something else to do on Saturdays. That matters to the bottom line. That matters to a program.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AJS said:

He didn't care that much about the fan base when he renewed a 5-6 Bubba before his contract was up and after he called perhaps the worst game I have seen in many many years against NDSU.  Now it doesn't matter what the fan base sentiment is because we are stuck with Bubba and can't afford a buy out.  

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Kab said:

Chaves should pay attention to what the average fan thinks

keep losing games and attendance will drop

2000 less fans per game is $50,000 x 5 = $250,000 per year

win and add 2000 per game and you add $250,000 per year

really simple math for Chaves 

why do you think they lower prices on certain weekends for hockey, A $15 ticket for 3000 fans who wouldn’t buy a $40 ticket makes sense on a thanksgiving or New Years weekend when students are gone .

NDSU AD is running those numbers right now. I figure they are down about 20,000 tickets on their 6 home games this year (not counting US Bank game).  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

NDSU AD is running those numbers right now. I figure they are down about 20,000 tickets on their 6 home games this year (not counting US Bank game).  

22546 (@USBank, MSP)

Using 19k as capacity (and throwing out US Bank game) your "20k" guess is off by about 3k (23276). 
Throw out an average of $22 a stub and 23276 is over a half million dollars. 

The gate matters. 

22 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Without disclosing too much, up to this point, he’s chosen to not address it (one way or the other). This dates back to 2018. That’s fine, probably not something to comment on. I’m certainly not single-handedly providing any buyout, so again, that is fair. 

So thats a "no I haven't talked to him"?

11 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

22546 (@USBank, MSP)

Using 19k as capacity (and throwing out US Bank game) your "20k" guess is off by about 3k (23276). 

The gate matters. 

And lose Und share of a $9 beer 

27 minutes ago, shep said:

Perhaps unrelated to UND football, but imagine being a Texas AM fan knowing the cost to rid your team of all coaches is around 125 MILLION!

I believe it's closer to $75MM to $80MM.  Still quite astonishing that any one person is worth that dime.

19 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

22546 (@USBank, MSP)

The gate matters. 

$55 for sideline seats for SIU. You could probably double your total. 

23 minutes ago, Sioux27 said:

I believe it's closer to $75MM to $80MM.  Still quite astonishing that any one person is worth that dime.

I read the $125M in the paper….unbelievable. Also there were 3 coaches fired Sunday…2 head coaches and an OC. Can’t remember the schools 

1 hour ago, Kab said:

why do you think they lower prices on certain weekends for hockey, A $15 ticket for 3000 fans who wouldn’t buy a $40 ticket makes sense on a thanksgiving or New Years weekend when students are gone .

I agree, but don't forget to deduct 52% for the REA.

• Upvote 4

52 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

$55 for sideline seats for SIU. You could probably double your total. 

Thank you. 
I was going "average $22" thinking some of the nosebleeds were going discount. 
No matter what, a cool half mill seems opening bid. 

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Thank you. 
I was going "average $22" thinking some of the nosebleeds were going discount. 
No matter what, a cool half mill seems opening bid. 

I live in Minot so I don’t make many games. Really wasn’t much of a discount on the secondary market. But to your point, it should keep Matt Larsen up at night. 

1 hour ago, Kab said:

Is it realistic to think that UND football could sell out the Alerus every game, we are currently averaging around 9,500 attendance. What percentage of teams in the top 20 sell out every home game - SDSU does not. 

6 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Is it realistic to think that UND football could sell out the Alerus every game, we are currently averaging around 9,500 attendance. What percentage of teams in the top 20 sell out every home game - SDSU does not. 

I don't see any reason not to expect sell outs at the Alerus Center given that NDSU could draw 18-19 K and UND can sell 11.5K twice a weekend for hockey.  For that to happen, UND needs more buy-in from casual sports fans and hockey fans.  I think that is happening, slowly.  Finally getting an NDSU win will help in the long run with the casual fans.

Most of the schools you're referring to also have much larger stadiums though.  Not really a ton of apples to apples comparisons from stadium/program/institution standpoint across the FCS.  Idaho may be the closest comparison, maybe?  UND's FB program is extremely unique when you compare us to other schools across the national landscape.  

• Upvote 1