SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

10 hours ago, F'n Hawks said:

I’m done with Tommy. 

Don’t get me wrong, he has done good things and will lead UND in a lot of categories. He was also not the only issue with today’s game. With that being said, I don’t think he is the guy to lead this team on a deep playoff run. 

It is unlikely they will make this move this year, but I wonder if they will have the balls to not have him back for his Covid year next season. 

I am also. I've been a semi Tommy backer and Semi Bubba backer but I'm done with both. If anyone thinks this team has any shot at competing with top teams in the playoffs you are delusional. We can fire up a big one at home now and then, but that's it. Players got praise last week, they also deserve criticism this week. Zero points is embarrassing. I feel bad for saying the word Embarrassing 10 times today, but that's what this is. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I am also. I've been a semi Tommy backer and Semi Bubba backer but I'm done with both. If anyone thinks this team has any shot at competing with top teams in the playoffs you are delusional. We can fire up a big one at home now and then, but that's it. Players got praise last week, they also deserve criticism this week. Zero points is embarrassing. I feel bad for saying the word Embarrassing 10 times today, but that's what this is. 

Bubba got the W (NDSU) he and everyone wanted. Time to ride off into the sunset. UND football needs a leader. 

• Upvote 1

Pre season this game was 50/50 on my schedule, NI has a strong home field advantage history. Joining the MVFC puts several drivable away games on the schedule every year. It also replaces meaningless Portland State games with Northern Iowa. There was a great contingency of UND fans at this game. Huge tailgate spot (mostly due to player parents but ordinary fans also, impressive). 8/3 still achievable. I will be at every remaining game as I choose to support the team in person rather than cheap shot on the Internet. Rough game, head scratcher, gotta move on and enjoy the season for what it is - games played by student athletes. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, F'n Hawks said:

I’m done with Tommy. 

Don’t get me wrong, he has done good things and will lead UND in a lot of categories. He was also not the only issue with today’s game. With that being said, I don’t think he is the guy to lead this team on a deep playoff run. 

It is unlikely they will make this move this year, but I wonder if they will have the balls to not have him back for his Covid year next season. 

I really want to keep supporting Tommy and Bubba but I just can't. Its like there's a force field 10 yards after the line of scrimmage. Only explanation why they never throw past it. Even after the highest of highs, they somehow manage to go to the lowest of lows. Start Feeney and you get more running ability plus a good deep ball. But that's assuming that change for the better is desired and they won't settle for status quo.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Pre season this game was 50/50 on my schedule, NI has a strong home field advantage history. Joining the MVFC puts several drivable away games on the schedule every year. It also replaces meaningless Portland State games with Northern Iowa. There was a great contingency of UND fans at this game. Huge tailgate spot (mostly due to player parents but ordinary fans also, impressive). 8/3 still achievable. I will be at every remaining game as I choose to support the team in person rather than cheap shot on the Internet. Rough game, head scratcher, gotta move on and enjoy the season for what it is - games played by student athletes. 

9-2 was attainable yesterday at this time. Now the goal is 8-3. The goal post keeps moving. It’s doable, but this degree of inconsistency is beyond challenging. Not even sure if inconsistency is the right word, as this program is just plain awful (consistently) on the road. 

Easy button is always get new leadership, but can’t do that right now.  The 2023 season is not up yet. Changes still need to be made NOW. New personnel groupings are really where it is at at this point. So hard considering so many thought we turned the corner after the NDSU win, and got comfortable, but it was just a distraction from the truth. Sometimes, the truth hurts, but it will set you free.

Celebrate the wins, learn from the losses. Problem is the program isn’t learning from these road losses. Program has pleateaud. No more progression. Can’t teach an old dog new tricks. Time for a new dog, but we’ll always appreciate the good ol’ boy.

• Upvote 4

On 11/27/2022 at 8:39 AM, Midwestern Hawk said:

I think things will be much the same as far as coaching and personnel.  Here is a very early prediction on the 2023 season...

Drake - easy W

Northern Arizona - W

@Boise State - L

@South Dakota State - L

Western Illinois - W

North Dakota State - L

@Northern Iowa - L

Indiana State - W

@Murray State - Toss up - bad team but we are on road in a new venue

@South Dakota - Toss up - avg team but on the road

Illinois State - Toss up - good team but at home

There you have it.  somewhere between 4-7 and 7-4.  

4-3 after 7.

Indiana State - W

@Murray State - Toss Up 

@South Dakota - L

Illinois State - Toss Up

7-4 and a play off spot is still obtainable.  Have to win the two toss up game and after yesterday's debacle, Tommy's bad performance and losing Ziebarth, neither will be easy.

10 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

The second half gets better……

I don't understand the play calling early whatsoever.  Why so different than NDSU?  Is it because we had the lead vs NDSU and were behind yesterday?  Why not run the ball for 5 yards instead of always trying to pass for 5 yards?  When Ziebarth left the game, he had 4 rushing attempts for 27 yards...and Tommy was 6-9 for 46 yards.  Don't understand the play calling at times.

We will all feel better in a week.

• Upvote 4

It might not feel like it today, but there’s still a realistic chance at a program building season. Starts next week, but realistically break the rest of the season into two sets. (1) Next two (2) Last two. Start with the next two. Two sound wins and assess where you’re at in the conference / national landscape. 

• Upvote 2

On 10/6/2023 at 5:33 PM, Sioux>Bison said:

No their boosters $$$$$ are the ones who make the decisions, fans with no $$$$ are just that….. fans

Boosters/fans don’t make decisions (nor should they).They certainly can create pressure on the decision makers if they organize and provide enough of the necessary resources that would create a significant hardship if withheld or create important opportunities if given. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Tommy can run the offense superbly at times, but there are things that we can't do based on his arm strength and size.  If we can't run the ball at all we are screwed.  If a team sits back in coverage he isn't hitting Belquist on a 20 yard slant because he doesn't have the arm to make that throw like we saw yesterday.  I think it's a credit to him that he will hold many records after leaving Grand Forks, truly remarkable with his skill set.  He will likely pass Klancher this season for TD passes, that's pretty impressive.  

Open question:  

Does it say more about the other guys not being close to ready for game situations that we haven't seen them more?  Or is Bubba sticking to his guy and that's final?

I'm just as ticked as everyone.  Seems like last week was three steps forward....now three back.  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, CMSioux said:

So it's no different than high school athletics? That is the attitude holding FB and other programs back.

You may be satisfied with 6-5 and 7-4 seasons with an occasional playoff appearance sprinkled in, but I think we are capable of so much more.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So it's no different than high school athletics? That is the attitude holding FB and other programs back.

You may be satisfied with 6-5 and 7-4 seasons with an occasional playoff appearance sprinkled in, but I think we are capable of so much more.

That is the real question at this point.  Is 5-7 wins a season and an occasional playoff appearance enough for the University of North Dakota?

• Like 4