SiouxSports.com Forum

The Portal 2022

cberkas

They should put a rule about only getting one "free" transfer in the portal, it just seems weird all these guys being in the portal every year.
One free transfer, otherwise back to the old rule of needing to sit a year.
Cruikshank, Demin, Calder, etc.

5 minutes ago, brianvf said:

They should put a rule about only getting one "free" transfer in the portal, ... 

The portal is for the one-time free transfer in a non-Covid world. (Second is still a sit-out year.) 

But as long as players have a "Covid year" they effectively get two one-time transfers. 

So Cruikshank leaves CC for presumably a better, more talented program in Minnesota. The gophers make it to the FF and now he enters the transfer portal??? To me, this is getting a little ridiculous. What could he possibly be unhappy about? 

• Upvote 2

I think Cruikshank would have fit in better here. I thought when he decided to go to UMN that it was a bad move for him. He definitely would have helped us. I wonder if he plans to go further east or go back to the NCHC. Does he end up at St. Cloud or UMD?

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

So here's what we have. Scholarships (full ride for some), full cost of attendance, NIL and now change teams at will. OK, slight exaggeration on the last one. Is the death of amateur athletics at the college level imminent, or has it already happened and I missed it?

Death by a thousand cuts.

12 hours ago, crb1 said:

I think Cruikshank would have fit in better here. I thought when he decided to go to UMN that it was a bad move for him. He definitely would have helped us. I wonder if he plans to go further east or go back to the NCHC. Does he end up at St. Cloud or UMD?

Agreed…grinder that could have played top 6 :)

22 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'll ponder aloud again, is 15F the right number today. We've been short bodies on game day a couple times the last few seasons. 

Now some math with numbers: 

• 8D, 25% hurt (2), 6 left, full game card
  • 15F, 25% hurt (3.75, or 4), 11 left, NOT full game card <-- Does going to 16 or 17 make sense if the logistics (and dollars) work?  

And when I say "full game card" I'm saying 6D and 12F and not considering the "extra skater" slot. 

One more thought on running with 16F:
We don't know how well Hain's leg will recover from serious injury. Nothing personal against Gavin, but it's untested until it's game tested. 

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

One more thought on running with 16F:
We don't know how well Hain's leg will recover from serious injury. Nothing personal against Gavin, but it's untested until it's game tested. 

I agree there will be 16 F but I think one of those 16 comes from the portal.

Makes sense to see guys like Calder and Cruikshank back in the portal.  Got to have scholarships available for your recruits coming in, and if these Covid year guys aren't able to have a scholarship are they going to spend (Insert cost of year of college here) to play at the same place?

There will be teams getting good players, but tough decisions on the $cholly dollars will have to be made.  

On 4/11/2022 at 5:27 PM, AJS said:

3 Gophers to the Portal. Motzko doing what I had hoped Berry would do.

Currently 5 players from Minnesota Duluth in the portal. You're seeing a lot of the top teams making hard decisions.