SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, SiouxScore said:

If Hain is back, add a transfer D somewhere in that group, and Sanderson is the only one that signs early we're looking at something like this maybe

Gaber-Schmaltz-Blake
Costantini-McLaughlin-Caulfield
Hain-Jamernik-Calder
James-Ness-Albrecht
Kunz-Montgomery-Strinden-Budy-Portz

17F
Is that what we normally carry or is that a little high?
Wonder if we see Budy hit the transfer portal or James go back to juniors another year if that's the case.

6 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Heard the same on goalie and D being the portal additions and that Blake, McLaughlin, and Strinden were locks to come in and James and Spicer were TBD. Hadn't heard on the other stuff but it all makes sense. Would love to have Hain back and I know he has a great shot but Calder was a guy I expected to get more out of. Honestly at this point I don't see him as a guarantee top 6 guy for us, may be better off signing if he gets any kind of pro contract. I just don't see a lot of difference between him, Montgomery, Albrecht, Ness, Portz. 

We don't know how healthy he ever got after the dirty slash against the Gophers. Calder is a shooter and if your wrists aren't 100% it can definitely affect your game. I don't want to compare him to a certain former player who was on the championship team and also wore #16 who was a pretty good sniper and was injured early in his sophomore season, but it took him a while to find his scoring touch when he came back that year.

I'm glad the coaches were proactive with the goaltending position.  Maybe it was unnecessary if the Swede has a big summer and takes the net and runs with it all year.  However, the kid just didn't get in there enough this season.

Wonder what the conversation with Hedquist was like?  Doesn't turn 20 until February so still plenty of junior eligibility.  

15 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I'm glad the coaches were proactive with the goaltending position.  Maybe it was unnecessary if the Swede has a big summer and takes the net and runs with it all year.  However, the kid just didn't get in there enough this season.

Wonder what the conversation with Hedquist was like?  Doesn't turn 20 until February so still plenty of junior eligibility.  

If Hedquist is on board with the plan, it sets up the goaltending nicely for the next few years:

22/23 - DeRidder GR / Hellsten SO
23/24 - Hellsten JR / Hedquist FR
24/25 - Hellsten SR / Hedquist SO
25/26 - Hedquist JR / TBD
26/27 - Hedquist SR / TBD

Gives both Hellsten and Hedquist a couple years each to take the reins and run with it if they can.

• Upvote 3

Is it hockey season yet? 

No, the rest of this season doesn't count if UND is playing ....

Is it real hockey season yet?

.... seriously, I was talking with my wife about all of the crazy good teams UND has had since like 2003, and only 1 championship is so frustrating. Would be great to see this program go get a couple within a handful of years ... it has certainly been done. That being said, I'll be happy just to see us get back to the Frozen Four on a regular basis. Go back to the Hak days and it seemed like we were there every year. I know we weren't, but wow, that was a great stretch of tournament hockey for this program.

Can't wait for next season!

• Upvote 1

Calder is a shooter. He needs to be with a getter and a setter. 

For example, 13 is a getter, 11 is a setter, and 20 is a shooter, is how that grouping played when together. 

However, when 20 was spotted on other lines, he could play the getter role with his speed to the puck. 

Interesting notes on Drew DeRidder ...

DeRidder was named a Big Ten Star of the Week twice: following games against UMass Lowell and Notre Dame. He was also in net for two overtime victories, one against Notre Dame and one against Michigan Tech. He had assists on the game-winning goals of each of those games.

DeRidder’s .916 save percentage is fifth among Michigan State goaltenders all-time.

If that is written (and read) correctly, he had assists on two overtime GWGs? 

Puck handler, puck mover?

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

WMU exposed the problem on the UND power play in St. Paul:

It is fine against a lane-clogging box.
It struggles mightily against pressure penalty kills. 

Notre Dame took note. 

Our inability to be able to roll into anything other than an umbrella/overload at times hurt.  When Sanderson was healthy you couldn't press the top guy (him) on our PP or you were asking for trouble.

Our PP lived and died with Sanderson unfortunately.  We had some success in 4-3 PP looks, but what team doesn't with all that space?

12 hours ago, brianvf said:

17F
Is that what we normally carry or is that a little high?
Wonder if we see Budy hit the transfer portal or James go back to juniors another year if that's the case.

17F is high. I’ve always liked 15F, which is normal and what they had this year. It does sound from those with some inside information here that the plan is for 4F to come in, so something has to give. Easiest way to get there would be no Seniors return plus one transfer out. I’m sure things will start to clear up this week.

13 hours ago, tnt said:

I think Calder can regain some of his scoring touch if you put him with someone like Blake.  He doesn’t create a lot of space for himself, but if you put him with someone who can get the puck to him in scoring areas I can see him becoming a more consistent threat.  In that scenario, who goes to the Jamernik, Hain line?  Kunz certainly could make a jump next year as well. Depth up front doesn’t look like an issue, just need a few more consistent difference makers to step up.

I'm not big on Calder. I can't see putting him with guys like Blake and Gaber as he isn't near the skater those guys are and I wanted to try to put some guys that push the pace together. 

On 3/26/2022 at 11:05 AM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Miller didn't manage the immediate fallout well, what has he done since?

Schloss could definitely whip up an article to rehab his image, but only with the right material to work with.

We should be all in on him. Not sure he’d come back but I’m sure Bubs let him know his hand was forced

20 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Teams feels like it's taking shape, a little bit. Was told Sendo likely gone, Hainer likely back. Kleven, Gaber, Frisch will get offers, but are all likely to stay. Calder could entertain pro offers as he's getting older and needs top 6 minutes. Sounds like we'll bring in a portal D, Blake, McLaughlin, Strinden and consider either a portal F or if no one is a fit, bring in James. I like it a lot.

I heard spicer is coming. Round about local source but said he heard it from the family.

14 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

If Hain is back, add a transfer D somewhere in that group, and Sanderson is the only one that signs early we're looking at something like this maybe

Gaber-Schmaltz-Blake

Costantini-McLaughlin-Caulfield

Hain-Jamernik-Calder

Portz-Ness-Albrecht

James-Kunz-Montgomery-Strinden-Budy

Kleven-Frisch

Jandric-Bast

Moore-Johnson

Ferner

Hellsten/DeRidder

Feeney/Johnson

Looks decent. I could see Budy odd man out and transferring.

Kunz will be higher up next season. Potentially top 6. Strinden will probably bounce someone on that 4th. Also, many are complaining about Calder. He cooled but still had the second most goals on the team and more points than Judd with 5 less games played. I’m fine with him. Team wasn’t very skilled.

one really odd stat are kleven and frisch’s assist totals. Frisch had a ton of ice time, including pp time. Six total assists is really really low. We need multiple players than can drive from the back end. I don’t see that right now with Sandy gone.

2 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

I have heard the same.  Although a year in the USHL might do him good.  I think he would have a hard time getting PT.

Agree for the most part, play ushl and put up big numbers. Top 3 role, tons of PP time. But, he is on a very high end U18 team that is ridiculously skilled. His numbers aren’t terrible considering he’s buried. He could come in and earn a top 6 role, you never know. Kind of reminds me a bit of Troy Terry given his smarts.

28 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I heard spicer is coming. Round about local source but said he heard it from the family.

That could possibly mean we don’t see James, or that Calder, Budy, Hain and or Caulfield are moving on one way or another.  Just too many faces otherwise, unless someone unexpected enters the portal.

Man Caulfield is so confusing to me. He has size, speed and skill and his potential is really high. However he just goes through these long stretches of play where you don’t even realize he is on the ice. I read where someone said If they could take some tenacity from Kleven and give it to Judd, he would be a beast. That is so true. I think I would prefer he stay though. This truly has to be his breakout season next year.