SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

21 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Where did this narrative come in? I've heard this on that God awful Facebook group, but I've never heard a sniff of this anywhere credible. If Kleven goes, it's because the kid is beast size wise, would be able to handle his own in that realm, and has grown a really nice offensive game. 

My hunch, and from what I've heard over the past couple of weeks is that he'll come back, but we'll see.

Tim Hennessey has been saying this on his broadcasts.  He said he thinks the plan was to stay, but if he can't play his game that could change things.  I would guess he should come back and be more of the go to guy next year. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

Tim Hennessey has been saying this on his broadcasts.  He said he thinks the plan was to stay, but if he can't play his game that could change things.  I would guess he should come back and be more of the go to guy next year. 

My guess is Tim is saying that out of frustration. He played his physical game last night pretty well, IMO. I think he stays and logs top minutes in all facets. 

Just now, Langster019 said:

Very small sample size, but I thought Albrecht did pretty well with what he was given, even last night. One particular shift early, stood out and possessed the puck well. 

Man, if he figures out how to finish consistently, he could really contribute stats wise next season. He's always finding a way to make a play and get free, it seems like. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Where did this narrative come in? I've heard this on that God awful Facebook group, but I've never heard a sniff of this anywhere credible. If Kleven goes, it's because the kid is beast size wise, would be able to handle his own in that realm, and has grown a really nice offensive game. 

My hunch, and from what I've heard over the past couple of weeks is that he'll come back, but we'll see.

He def could use another year. Defensively he’s ready I believe. But I’ll respectfully disagree on him having a “nice offensive game”. He has a great shot. But his O game needs a decent amount T of work, which one more year will give him. 

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Man, if he figures out how to finish consistently, he could really contribute stats wise next season. He's always finding a way to make a play and get free, it seems like. 

With that said, you gotta give more minutes. It was one of those “damn, who is that?” (In a good way) ….it was Albrecht. 

1 minute ago, Langster019 said:

With that said, you gotta give more minutes. It was one of those “damn, who is that?” (In a good way) ….it was Albrecht. 

I think part of what give him some space is where he is in the lineup. I don't see him as a top 6 because he needs to be able to finish more, IMO. He gets that space, in part, because he's playing against "softer" parts of the opponents' lineups. With that said, if he starts potting, he absolutely needs to move up. He's always sniffing out the puck.

24 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I think we'll go depth D in the portal and not bring in a freshman D, but I think your logic is perfect. The rest of that, I love. Totally agree. No reason we won't be a player big time this year. Love the outlook for 23-24, too. Imagine if Gaber stays all four.... 

I'm a huge balance the classes guy. If the coaches don't feel anyone is ready, then go portal, but I think this is such a perfect situation for Livanavage. My thought would be the Top 6 today are your six, Ferner is a great #8 guy. Slide that Freshman into the #7 spot. Get him minutes, let him get in the weight room. I'm not sure how you're using the term "depth", but we can't have a guy in the Ferner mold come in from the portal. Injuries happen, you need a high ender in that #7 spot.

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

I'm a huge balance the classes guy. If the coaches don't feel anyone is ready, then go portal, but I think this is such a perfect situation for Livanavage. My thought would be the Top 6 today are your six, Ferner is a great #8 guy. Slide that Freshman into the #7 spot. Get him minutes, let him get in the weight room. I'm not sure how you're using the term "depth", but we can't have a guy in the Ferner mold come in from the portal. Injuries happen, you need a high ender in that #7 spot.

I guess I think of depth as in a guy who won't be consistently in the lineup. I am fine with bringing in Livanavage to get him up to strength, but would also be completely fine with a stopgap transfer guy who is already ready for the college game and let Livanavage (gosh that's hard to spell, but I'll get it lol) simmer for one more year in junior.

Isn't Liv 17 yo? Is he even a senior in HS?  The way the NCAA is now you have to be exceptional to play that young.  Seems much better to let him play big minutes in juniors, develop, and get stronger. 

27 minutes ago, jk said:

Isn't Liv 17 yo? Is he even a senior in HS?  The way the NCAA is now you have to be exceptional to play that young.  Seems much better to let him play big minutes in juniors, develop, and get stronger. 

Yeah, I like how Brent Johnson improved over the year, but every time he was on the ice in the tight game yesterday, I cringed thinking about a turnover or him not being able to handle one of their big guys.   Let him get more experience in juniors.  

I think the bigger issue is that going to the portal for a D -man means you bring in quite a large freshmen class of D the following year. They will have good experience on the blue line next year, bring in a recruit to grow in the mold of Johnson this year, mostly in practice and the weight room and better able to jump in the following year. That way they are not over-loaded with freshmen on the back end in 23-24.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, WoodChippa said:

I think the bigger issue is that going to the portal for a D -man means you bring in quite a large freshmen class of D the following year. They will have good experience on the blue line next year, bring in a recruit to grow in the mold of Johnson this year, mostly in practice and the weight room and better able to jump in the following year. That way they are not over-loaded with freshmen on the back end in 23-24.

Exactly! Always have that next year in the back of your head as well. 

16 minutes ago, WoodChippa said:

6 minutes ago, AJS said:

Exactly! Always have that next year in the back of your head as well. 

Yeah, it'd be Bast, Johnson and then portal/freshman. Good points, here. Livanavage with a year under his belt at that point wouldn't be a bad thing, I agree. 

8 minutes ago, Dave Berger said:

Unless something has changed, I would expect either Nate Benoit or Tyler Dunbar to come to campus this fall and join the d-corps, with Ausmus, Livanavage, and/or Wiebe arriving the following year.

Dave

I've been mentioning Livanavage, but insert whichever Freshman the coaches feel is most prepared. If that's Benoit or Dunbar then great! Defenseman are much, much harder to track if you aren't watching them. 

3 hours ago, WoodChippa said:

I am for whatever is going to give us the best chance to win a National Championship.  We have seen every year that we never have had enough defensemen when it came to injuries.  If we get caught having to play someone who has more growing and learning to do, and it is the difference in games down the stretch I'm not so sure the trade off is worth it.  The bottom line is don't rush someone through juniors who isn't ready physically or mentally at the next level just so your classes are balanced better by one less freshman defenseman.  I know it is rare, but Duluth did wonders with 5 freshmen defensemen that one year, but I would venture to say they all were somewhat ready to play at the college level.  

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

I am for whatever is going to give us the best chance to win a National Championship.  We have seen every year that we never have had enough defensemen when it came to injuries.  If we get caught having to play someone who has more growing and learning to do, and it is the difference in games down the stretch I'm not so sure the trade off is worth it.  The bottom line is don't rush someone through juniors who isn't ready physically or mentally at the next level just so your classes are balanced better by on less freshman defenseman.  I know it is rare, but Duluth did wonders with 5 freshmen defensemen that one year, but I would venture to say they all were somewhat ready to play at the college level.  

The year with 5 freshmen defenseman was also the year they just sneaked into the last at large spot in the tourney over Minnesota I believe.