SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

Serious question 

If you could form your own team the exact way you wanted- what type of mix would you have between players you expect to stay two years or less or players that stayed all four years..

would you want all blue chippers that want playing time but would only stay a year or two?

what type of mix between studs and projects makes for the best locker room team chemistry?

A solid core of 3-4 year guys, combined with a handful of 1-2 year guys is probably the best way to have sustained success. Too many blue chippers at once means you are starting over every year. Not enough and you don't get very far in March. This team has a solid core, now it needs some elite firepower. And I think the kids coming in this fall will help provide that firepower.

8 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Agree for the most part, play ushl and put up big numbers. Top 3 role, tons of PP time. But, he is on a very high end U18 team that is ridiculously skilled. His numbers aren’t terrible considering he’s buried. He could come in and earn a top 6 role, you never know. Kind of reminds me a bit of Troy Terry given his smarts.

Regarding Spicer, these days, unless a guy is big time, I'd like him to be killing it in juniors in his D+1 year.  However, if it turns out to be correct that he's coming in, it could be because the coaches realize they need some slick hands on the PP.  That I'd be ok with.

13 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

IMHO If they've got Spicer coming in its got to be in a top 6 role.  He scored today, has had a good year on a GREAT U18 team, and adds finishing ability on a team needing it like UND.

If he comes in in that role Budy and Hain might be asked politely thanks but no thanks. Judd goes third line with Jamernik and ______. Calder? McLaughlin Spicer and Constantini.

18 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

If he comes in in that role Budy and Hain might be asked politely thanks but no thanks. Judd goes third line with Jamernik and ______. Calder? McLaughlin Spicer and Constantini.

Exactly.  He's not being brought in to hit people.  We'd like him to have the puck. 

44 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

IMHO If they've got Spicer coming in its got to be in a top 6 role.  He scored today, has had a good year on a GREAT U18 team, and adds finishing ability on a team needing it like UND.

Let’s not forget that Jackson Kunz had a very good year in the USHL last year as well.  Some transition right away, some don’t.  Heck, Schlossman had Ness as one of the top 20 freshmen coming into the league a couple years ago, based on his USHL numbers, and he was even older when he came in.  Unless you are going to lose a recruit, another year will always help for an easier transition.  Would bet that Hain’s pace of 10-13 goals would outpace most rookie years.

11 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Serious question 

If you could form your own team the exact way you wanted- what type of mix would you have between players you expect to stay two years or less or players that stayed all four years..

I'll stay in this century and not say "The Circus" to not confuse some of y'all ... and just sticking to forwards

The DOT Line <- pure talent
The CBS Line <- developed talent
The Pony Express <- hard workers whose work exposed their talents
The Famous Name Line (the original Heavy Line) <- the fourth line energy; true grinders

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'll stay in this century and not say "The Circus" to not confuse some of y'all ... and just sticking to forwards

The DOT Line <- pure talent
The CBS Line <- developed talent
The Pony Express <- hard workers whose work exposed their talents
The Famous Name Line (the original Heavy Line) <- the fourth line energy; true grinders

Those 4 lines all in the same year would be really fun to watch. A force to be reckoned with... 

Put on the Kevlar vest and the asbestos underpants. 
My unfiltered, brutally honest evaluation of the forwards follows.

I'd take back in a minute: Gaber, Jamernik, Schmaltz, Costantini, Portz, Caulfield, Ness, Kunz ... in that order. Caulfield needs to show some fire. Kunz needs to figure out college or he's on the following list in a year. Ness survives because he's a bottom six centerman and you need those. 

I'd upgrade (trade up if I could): Calder, Albrecht, Montgomery. Calder, as an upperclassman, disappeared at crunch time; if he was hurt (wrist) I retract my statement. Albrecht brings energy but no offense and this team needs offense. Not fair to have Monty here because he is a freshman and was a very later roster add (thanks Weatherby). 

These guys would not be on my roster next season: Ford, Senden, Hain, Budy. Ford's out of eligibility; Senden has had his four seasons; Hain, he's had four and yeah he was hurt, but I have too many bottom six guys right now to run the risk of how he recovers. Budy's never shown anything at UND. 

So I'd be looking at bringing in at four freshmen. 

McLaughlin - we need a center; we only have LouieJam, Schmaltz, and Ness ... maybe Costantini. 
Strinden - hoping he can provide more offense than Senden or Ness
Blake - offense
Cole Spicer or Dylan James is the question ... unless there's a fifth opening, and I only opened four (Ford, Senden, Hain, Budy). 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Leave on the Kevlar vest and the asbestos underpants. 
My unfiltered, brutally honest evaluation of the defense follows.

Sanderson is gone. But, how big of a loss is it when you lose a guy that missed most of the second half of the season. In this case, yeah, big because of talent; but, the hidden benefit is Moore, Bast, and Johnson got way more minutes and development time than expected. Those dividends are in hand now, not in December 2022. 

Frisch and Kleven would be wise to see Kierstad and JBD living on a bus in the AHL. Frisch, having seen Sanderson, needs to finish out his game based on those observations. Is he Sanderson? No. Could he be close? With his skating ability, maybe. Kleven, sure the league loves to penalize him, but will it get any better in the minors? And big parts of Kleven's game still need polish. 

Jandric needs to stop making risky (dumb?) plays with the puck at times. Ferner just needs to keep developing; but, I envision him in a suit much of 2022-23. 

My hope is UND just needs one player to get back to eight on defense (Sanderson's replacement). The question I have no answer for is ... pipeline or portal. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think I gave my goaltending evaluation already, on Saturday: 

On 3/26/2022 at 12:36 PM, The Sicatoka said:

I'd say DeRidder is the insurance to Hellsten next year and it puts a year gap (all DeRidder has left) between Hellsten and Hedquist. If Hedquist is on board that's a pretty solid plan. 

I don't think we'll see Feeney or Johnson. 

• Like 1

New to this year's ramblings ... the coaches! 

The coaches need to focus more on offensive skill in recruiting. And speed.

The power play needs to better handle pressure PK teams; it was fine against a passive box. 

The UND PK wasn't as sharp as should be either. Part of that may have been Driscoll's slow start; but, it needs to be better. The world knew and prepared for the UND passive box. Be able to change it up. 

They did a nice job working the roster around injuries and getting appropriate time for freshmen (especially the defense) to develop. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Leave on the Kevlar vest and the asbestos underpants. 
My unfiltered, brutally honest evaluation of the defense follows.

Sanderson is gone. But, how big of a loss is it when you lose a guy that missed most of the second half of the season. In this case, yeah, big because of talent; but, the hidden benefit is Moore, Bast, and Johnson got way more minutes and development time than expected. Those dividends are in hand now, not in December 2022. 

Frisch and Kleven would be wise to see Kierstad and JBD living on a bus in the AHL. Frisch, having seen Sanderson, needs to finish out his game based on those observations. Is he Sanderson? No. Could he be close? With his skating ability, maybe. Kleven, sure the league loves to penalize him, but will it get any better in the minors? And big parts of Kleven's game still need polish. 

Jandric needs to stop making risky (dumb?) plays with the puck at times. Ferner just needs to keep developing; but, I envision him in a suit much of 2022-23. 

My hope is UND just needs one player to get back to eight on defense (Sanderson's replacement). The question I have no answer for is ... pipeline or portal. 

I've heard that Kleven is staying, but we know things can change. 

Looking through Chris Heisenberg's recruits pages for 2022 it looks like half the NCHC will be bringing in double-digit new faces (and a couple more are just short of that). 

Having a year of experience for Schmaltz, Costantini, Portz, Kunz, Bast, and Johnson is a big deal. 

UND is "one year ahead" in the post-Covid development cycles. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Looking through Chris Heisenberg's recruits pages for 2022 it looks like half the NCHC will be bringing in double-digit new faces (and a couple more are just short of that). 

Having a year of experience for Schmaltz, Costantini, Portz, Kunz, Bast, and Johnson is a big deal. 

UND is "one year ahead" in the post-Covid development cycles. 

Not to mention brining in a really solid group of recruits. No reason our team won't contend for a fourth-straight Penne Rosa and for the real prize in April.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

New to this year's ramblings ... the coaches! 

The coaches need to focus more on offensive skill in recruiting. And speed.

The power play needs to better handle pressure PK teams; it was fine against a passive box. 

The UND PK wasn't as sharp as should be either. Part of that may have been Driscoll's slow start; but, it needs to be better. The world knew and prepared for the UND passive box. Be able to change it up. 

They did a nice job working the roster around injuries and getting appropriate time for freshmen (especially the defense) to develop. 

I also noticed them use the Diamond on the pk sometimes (see the OT goal for Notre Dame) and I've ALWAYS hated it.

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Put on the Kevlar vest and the asbestos underpants. 
My unfiltered, brutally honest evaluation of the forwards follows.

I'd take back in a minute: Gaber, Jamernik, Schmaltz, Costantini, Portz, Caulfield, Ness, Kunz ... in that order. Caulfield needs to show some fire. Kunz needs to figure out college or he's on the following list in a year. Ness survives because he's a bottom six centerman and you need those. 

I'd upgrade (trade up if I could): Calder, Albrecht, Montgomery. Calder, as an upperclassman, disappeared at crunch time; if he was hurt (wrist) I retract my statement. Albrecht brings energy but no offense and this team needs offense. Not fair to have Monty here because he is a freshman and was a very later roster add (thanks Weatherby). 

These guys would not be on my roster next season: Ford, Senden, Hain, Budy. Ford's out of eligibility; Senden has had his four seasons; Hain, he's had four and yeah he was hurt, but I have too many bottom six guys right now to run the risk of how he recovers. Budy's never shown anything at UND. 

So I'd be looking at bringing in at four freshmen. 

McLaughlin - we need a center; we only have LouieJam, Schmaltz, and Ness ... maybe Costantini. 
Strinden - hoping he can provide more offense than Senden or Ness
Blake - offense
Cole Spicer or Dylan James is the question ... unless there's a fifth opening, and I only opened four (Ford, Senden, Hain, Budy). 

It needs to be James coming in. He is likely going to be a 2nd round draft pick, and UND cannot risk pushing back another top recruit like it did with Morrow and Rizzo. 

1 hour ago, skateshattrick said:

It needs to be James coming in. He is likely going to be a 2nd round draft pick, and UND cannot risk pushing back another top recruit like it did with Morrow and Rizzo. 

if the choice is James or Spicer, I definitely think it should and will be James. Hearing a little bit about an interesting transfer portal forward that could be intriguing. Just heard yesterday that James is in no hurry and is solid UND as it gets. Take that for what it's worth, of course.

• Upvote 1

Dylan James is 18.5 years old (19 in October).
Cole Spicer turns 18 in June. 

Strinden turns 20 in June
McLaughlin is 19 and a month
Blake turns 19 in August

Of the pipeline, Strinden, Benoit, Hedquist, McLaughlin, Blake, Wiebe are the only ones who'll be 19+ at the start of the 2022-23 academic year.