SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

15 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Has anyone seen DeRidder play?  He has decent numbers for being on some pretty bad teams during his time at MSU.
Hopefully he can come in and be a good duo with Hellsten. 

I like his numbers against some really solid offensive teams in the Big 10 and a below average defense in front of him. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

After watching this and seeing his numbers, I like this move more and more. Grew up wanting to play for MSU. I'd be interested to see what other schools recruited him. Really nice numbers his second year at NTDP. Fought through net battles his first two years, had two very good upper class seasons on a team that was below average. Seems like a hard-working kid that also seems very talented. I like it a lot. 

Teams feels like it's taking shape, a little bit. Was told Sendo likely gone, Hainer likely back. Kleven, Gaber, Frisch will get offers, but are all likely to stay. Calder could entertain pro offers as he's getting older and needs top 6 minutes. Sounds like we'll bring in a portal D, Blake, McLaughlin, Strinden and consider either a portal F or if no one is a fit, bring in James. I like it a lot.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Was told Sendo likely gone, Hainer likely back.

Makes sense to me.
That team looks good to me.  More skill than this year, even losing one of the best college players in the country (even if he didn't play much).
Hate that we have to be discussing this so soon, but the pieces are all there for a solid team next year, for sure.

With many of the top teams in the country (especially in the NCHC) set to lose a ton this offseason, I see no reason why this team shouldn't be a favorite for the Penrose once again, and be a legit contender for a title run.

We'll see how it all plays out.

29 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Teams feels like it's taking shape, a little bit. Was told Sendo likely gone, Hainer likely back. Kleven, Gaber, Frisch will get offers, but are all likely to stay. Calder could entertain pro offers as he's getting older and needs top 6 minutes. Sounds like we'll bring in a portal D, Blake, McLaughlin, Strinden and consider either a portal F or if no one is a fit, bring in James. I like it a lot.

Heard the same on goalie and D being the portal additions and that Blake, McLaughlin, and Strinden were locks to come in and James and Spicer were TBD. Hadn't heard on the other stuff but it all makes sense. Would love to have Hain back and I know he has a great shot but Calder was a guy I expected to get more out of. Honestly at this point I don't see him as a guarantee top 6 guy for us, may be better off signing if he gets any kind of pro contract. I just don't see a lot of difference between him, Montgomery, Albrecht, Ness, Portz. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Heard the same on goalie and D being the portal additions and that Blake, McLaughlin, and Strinden were locks to come in and James and Spicer were TBD. Hadn't heard on the other stuff but it all makes sense. Would love to have Hain back and I know he has a great shot but Calder was a guy I expected to get more out of. Honestly at this point I don't see him as a guarantee top 6 guy for us, may be better off signing if he gets any kind of pro contract. I just don't see a lot of difference between him, Montgomery, Albrecht, Ness, Portz. 

At his high, he's better than those four, but never got in a real groove this season. Wouldn't blame him at all to jump and he's replaceable. Not a knock on him, but a commentary on incoming rookies. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Makes sense to me.
That team looks good to me.  More skill than this year, even losing one of the best college players in the country (even if he didn't play much).
Hate that we have to be discussing this so soon, but the pieces are all there for a solid team next year, for sure.

With many of the top teams in the country (especially in the NCHC) set to lose a ton this offseason, I see no reason why this team shouldn't be a favorite for the Penrose once again, and be a legit contender for a title run.

We'll see how it all plays out.

Yep. Losing Sandy sucks royally, but on paper, we look better. Excited. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, brianvf said:

How huge would a commitment from Cooley have been for next season? Sucks we were in the running and the Goofs got him. 

Thought about that as I was talking to my buddy about the team. It was very close and we didn't get him. Really sucks.

• Upvote 1

If Hain is back, add a transfer D somewhere in that group, and Sanderson is the only one that signs early we're looking at something like this maybe

Gaber-Schmaltz-Blake

Costantini-McLaughlin-Caulfield

Hain-Jamernik-Calder

Portz-Ness-Albrecht

James-Kunz-Montgomery-Strinden-Budy

Kleven-Frisch

Jandric-Bast

Moore-Johnson

Ferner

Hellsten/DeRidder

Feeney/Johnson

16 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

If Hain is back, add a transfer D somewhere in that group, and Sanderson is the only one that signs early we're looking at something like this maybe

Gaber-Schmaltz-Blake

Hain-Jamernik-Calder

James-Ness-Albrecht

Kunz-Montgomery-Strinden-Budy

Kleven-Frisch

Jandric-Bast

Moore-Johnson

Ferner

Hellsten/DeRidder

Feeney/Johnson

No Portz?  I would put him back with Ness and Albrecht.

27 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Gaber-Schmaltz-Blake

Hain-Jamernik-Calder

James-Ness-Albrecht

Kunz-Montgomery-Strinden-Budy

Kleven-Frisch

Jandric-Bast

Moore-Johnson

Ferner

Hellsten/DeRidder

Feeney/Johnson

I think Calder can regain some of his scoring touch if you put him with someone like Blake.  He doesn’t create a lot of space for himself, but if you put him with someone who can get the puck to him in scoring areas I can see him becoming a more consistent threat.  In that scenario, who goes to the Jamernik, Hain line?  Kunz certainly could make a jump next year as well. Depth up front doesn’t look like an issue, just need a few more consistent difference makers to step up.