SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

20 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Why isn't he playing at Frozen Four?  Injured or something else?

Pretty sure it has been due to injury. I forgot about his younger brother. So it’d be doubly surprising then if he did leave. Might just be some Gopher fan negative nancies but if there is a remote chance….

3 hours ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Saw some speculation on Twitter that Minnesota’s Chaz Lucius might leave there for new place to play. That would be intriguing imo.

If true, you certainly have to wonder why on a winning team.  Does daddy think he isn’t being used correctly and not putting up enough points, or is upset there will be a bigger star there next year with Logan Cooley.  Yes, I would be skeptical of his reasons if he is thinking about the transfer portal.

We knew, but it's official.

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2022/3/30/mens-hockey-drew-deridder-transfers-to-north-dakota-for-2022-23-season.aspx 

Digging into DeRidder's MSU numbers from the last two seasons, the guy was facing about 36 shots per game. Ouch. By comparison, Driscoll faced about 25 per game this season. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Next season's captains guess:

C-Frisch

A-Hain, Kleven, Calder, Gaber, Jandric....

A couple different options, but I think Frisch is the guy.  

I could see Gaber getting the C for the next 2 season and then Frisch with the A, but if not Gaber definitely Frisch, then Gaber with the C the following season 

6 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

At Berry's press conference today, he said both Kleven and Gaber verbally committed to him that they will be coming back but he said he will wait for them to disclose their decisions officially. 

Great news!
Hopefully Frisch wants to stay another year with his buds and make a run at some hardware.

6 minutes ago, brianvf said:

He said the entire d-corps minus Sandy is coming back? Huge news if true!

That would be big.  One only has to look at St. Cloud returning almost all their players and not living up to expectations as a warning that returning players doesn’t mean squat if you don’t work your tails off in the off-season and come together as a team.  Hopefully Berry will be expressing that to his guys when they have their year end meetings with each individual.  If you’re coming back, you better be all in like Sanderson was, even though it didn’t go the way he or the fans envisioned.

22 minutes ago, tnt said:

One only has to look at St. Cloud returning almost all their players and not living up to expectations as a warning that returning players doesn’t mean squat if you don’t work your tails off in the off-season and come together as a team.

+1

Man, SCSU was a mystery this season.  They looked decent in the first half but then just fell apart in Feb/Mar.
With that many returning players from a national runner-up team, it has to be a disappointment for their fans/team.

Good stuff here from Schlossman on Brent Johnson:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/defenseman-brent-johnsons-progression-a-good-sign-for-und

Loved his game down the stretch. I forgot that he was injured to start the year and wasn't able to lift all summer. I'd imagine Mr. Poolman will make Johnson quite a pet project. Kid has the ability to be really, really special by the time he leaves UND.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Good stuff here from Schlossman on Brent Johnson:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/defenseman-brent-johnsons-progression-a-good-sign-for-und

Loved his game down the stretch. I forgot that he was injured to start the year and wasn't able to lift all summer. I'd imagine Mr. Poolman will make Johnson quite a pet project. Kid has the ability to be really, really special by the time he leaves UND.

Yes Brent and Jake Schmaltz need to go on the Nick Schmaltz Freshman-to-Sophomore training and nutrition plan! Put on a solid 10-20 lbs! 

• Upvote 1