SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

2 hours ago, Dave Berger said:

Unless something has changed, I would expect either Nate Benoit or Tyler Dunbar to come to campus this fall and join the d-corps, with Ausmus, Livanavage, and/or Wiebe arriving the following year.

Dave

I wouldn’t expect either to come in tbh. I would only expect Livanavage to come in if he has a spot to play. 

6 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Why? They clearly trust us. The Sens are not a Tyler Kleven away from contending. 

Sens are a new owner away from being somewhat respectable let alone contending. I don’t see why anyone would leave early to go to a dumpster fire the is Ottawa. 

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Overall this year's team lacked skill will any of the incoming freshman raise the skill level?

Jackson Blake is legit.  68 Points in 51 games in the USHL for Chicago.  Owen McLaughlin currently with 60 points in the USHL.  He just turned 19 years old today. 

Blake with Gaber and Schmaltz could be really good, and you can have McLaughlin center a line with Judd and Calder next season as your top six.   

• Upvote 3

Based on what I've heard we have for sure coming in Blake, McLaughlin, and Strinden. James and Spicer are TBD but I get the feeling it is getting more likely James is on campus next fall. They will be looking to the portal for a defenseman and goalie as they don't feel those guys are ready to make the jump. Likely a grad transfer goalie and probably a little more open on his class.

36 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

@Godsmack needs to get Basse here as a portal goaltender.  

Vernon had almost 91 percent save percentage and Basse not quite 89 percent, along with a half goal difference as well. Not sure that discrepancy is something to take a chance on. 

Just now, tnt said:

Vernon had almost 91 percent save percentage and Basse not quite 89 percent, along with a half goal difference as well. Not sure that discrepancy is something to take a chance on. 

Vernon was recruited to UND, I think they tried to bring him in at semester, but he wanted to stay in the NAHL and not abandon his teammates 

I watched both games in Loveland yesterday and walked away thinking of how different the game is today than just a few years ago. 

I've thought what was missing from this year's UND team is a couple pure scorers. But watching Denver struggle to score against Tech makes me start thinking the game has changed into a shut-down defensive mindset and hope for a break or a bounce to score. 

I'd love to see an offense-first mindset, but it doesn't look like that's what wins championships in today's world 

Another thing I am seeing watching these other teams is there is lots of team speed. Something that was missing from UND. Some of these teams just fly up and down the ice and get the puck out of their zone quickly. I didn’t see that with UND. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mikejm said:

I watched both games in Loveland yesterday and walked away thinking of how different the game is today than just a few years ago. 

I've thought what was missing from this year's UND team is a couple pure scorers. But watching Denver struggle to score against Tech makes me start thinking the game has changed into a shut-down defensive mindset and hope for a break or a bounce to score. 

I'd love to see an offense-first mindset, but it doesn't look like that's what wins championships in today's world 

Isn't that what UND was this season? And how far did that take us?

3 hours ago, mikejm said:

Yes. I find the last few years (5?) very boring to watch. When I compare to 20-25 years ago, it's way different.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SuhakiYeahYeah said:

Only way I see Nodak bringing in DeRidder is if they ask Hedquist to play another year of juniors

I agree, a tough situation.  They just didn't get the Swede in the net enough to be confident that they have a guy they can rely on going forward.  Don't know what you'll get with Hedquist being a Freshman.  And really, Feeney and Johnson are just puck eaters in practice. 

Do you risk having a pretty decent team back next year and a question mark in the net? 

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

I agree, a tough situation.  They just didn't get the Swede in the net enough to be confident that they have a guy they can rely on going forward.  Don't know what you'll get with Hedquist being a Freshman.  And really, Feeney and Johnson are just puck eaters in practice. 

Do you risk having a pretty decent team back next year and a question mark in the net? 

I thought the Swede looked good in his couple starts during Driscoll's rough patch...but at the very least you need a capable backup and/or goaltending duo rather than a completely unproven Hedquist. 
The team will be improved next season so you'll need a good goalie or two.

3 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I thought the Swede looked good in his couple starts during Driscoll's rough patch...but at the very least you need a capable backup and/or goaltending duo rather than a completely unproven Hedquist. 
The team will be improved next season so you'll need a good goalie or two.

There were times early in the season to get the Swede in to get game experience. I felt they waited too late in the year to get him more minutes. 

• Upvote 3

It'll be an interesting off-season for UND (Hakstol voice) no question....

Gavin Hain - I think Berry asks him to come back next year for a few reasons:

1. He's 21 years old only... will Gavin have a pro career? Sure, is it in the NHL? Probably not...

2. Injuries have been consistent (while unfortunate) throughout his time at UND, this year was a bad break (no pun intended)

3. UND needs a leader next year with some sand paper finish that is pesky to play against, can kill penalties, and can score anywhere from 6-12 goals next year. That person is Gavin Hain

4. UND coaching staff didn't retain any players for their super-senior/covid year prior. Why? Who cares, they're the coaches and make the decision(s) wrong or right. Personally, I think it was a mistake not to have at least Collin Adams and Jackson Keane not return for this year's team.

NEXT YEAR - WHAT WE KNOW/WHAT WE DON'T KNOW:

Jake Sanderson - Gone 100% - Ready for the NHL..

Tyler Kleven - The biggest risk/ ? - Does he leave? I hope NOT. I think Tyler and his parents/advisors have enough self-awareness to know that he will not play in the NHL with Ottawa next year given their D-core depth. (checks hockeydb.com > looked up Jacob Bernard-Docker, *see Jacob has ONLY played "8" NHL games this year (he's pretty good!) Tyler - you reading this?!

Chris Jandric - With JS leaving, bring him back for next year, 100%. He'll be 24 years old next year, big deal. Enjoy your last year in college in Forks and win a National Title. Your pro career will always be there and can wait 1 year. You're only in college once - how !@#!$ was it playing in that no crowd Albany rink on Thursday night? You'll get a taste of that in "some" towns in the life of grinding AHL players.

Ashton Calder - Bring him back 100% if wants to come back and not start his pro career... No disrespect, he had 1 goal ONLY from Feb 25th - through March 24th. Not good enough, not his fault, slump steaks happen. Also, he is a shooter first and can make some smart plays/passing and dishes to players when open and available. Bottom line, GET THIS KID a passer/playmaker on his line next year if he comes back. Period. 

Who is actually coming in for next year freshmen? Locks = Blake, Mclaughlin, Dylan James (have to bring him in) + Spicer (coaches could push him back and say, go tear up juniors for 1 more year, but his style of play could benefit the team next year. Why? Cause injuries always happen and UND has been cursed with injuries the last few years).

Goalies - All hail Sweden, Hellsten is your guy! In addition, Hedquist comes in + UND coaching staff gets the best goalie available that "they" think would be a proper fit next year and brings that guy in! Harrison Feeney (depth/practice goalie)...and Kaleb Johnson (hometown kid etc.) you want to play college hockey for a team and prove yourself? Great, transfer IMHO, just saying... sounds to be a great/fantastic kid, and again, GF local boy. Know of the family, don't know him. I think he needs to decide what's best for him moving forward. 

This seasons surprises + positives: 

Luke Bast - Unreal second half improvement. Waited and earned his time with JS injury etc. has speed, transitions the puck well, swagger on the PP and can score, not much panic in his game. Literally, would be a top 4 D in the country for ANY college hockey team next year.

Matteo Costantini - Great freshie campaign, feel like the kid is a sponge and buys into whatever the coaches tell him and does it. Have a good off-season in the weight room for added strength and work on skill and puck protection skill drills for next year. Will be a force in Soph. season.

Cooper Moore - Has all the tools, skating, playmaking, composure. Take the off-season on strength + skill development will = how dominate you'll be for your Junior and Senior year UND. Sky is the limit, up to you...

Jake Schmaltz - Weight room 100% and work with your cousin Nick on how he developed the back-check stick lift get puck and go the other way skill as he (Nick) isn't a physical/strength dominant force, but again, learn this, and you'll add a tool to your skill toolset. 

Brent Johnson - Stayed the course, trusted the coaches and the process. Has all the tangibles and intangibles 100%. Weight room 100% for strength given he's had strength development periods stalled due to injuries.

#13 #20 #11 - All bought in, made commitments and all grew their games individually. Everyone UND hockey fan noticed this. Keep going!

Room for improvement:

#28 - Gotta find that mean component in your DNA and add that to your game for next year. So much potential, need that tenacity. MMA classes this off-season? Time to get mean if you want to play in the NHL or do you want to be a future partner at an accounting firm?

#29 - Just needs to continue on speed and quickness + skill development game for college hockey. You're Chris VandeVelde 2.0. And that's not a bad thing. CV had a huge jump going into his Soph. year. Why? Speed and quickness developed. He didn't have the speed/quickness yet as a freshie to dominate college hockey. It takes time. 

Biggest X-Factor for next year - MITCHELL MILLER - GP 50 - G 30 A 38 PTS 68 

Bring him back? Teach cancel culture a lesson and society? Work with him, get him involved in the community, on campus, but make him lead by action, not the adults telling him what to do. Or is this water under the bridge?

Discuss or provide "critical thought theory" :-)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

It'll be an interesting off-season for UND (Hakstol voice) no question....

Gavin Hain - I think Berry asks him to come back next year for a few reasons:

1. He's 21 years old only... will Gavin have a pro career? Sure, is it in the NHL? Probably not...

2. Injuries have been consistent (while unfortunate) throughout his time at UND, this year was a bad break (no pun intended)

3. UND needs a leader next year with some sand paper finish that is pesky to play against, can kill penalties, and can score anywhere from 6-12 goals next year. That person is Gavin Hain

4. UND coaching staff didn't retain any players for their super-senior/covid year prior. Why? Who cares, they're the coaches and make the decision(s) wrong or right. Personally, I think it was a mistake not to have at least Collin Adams and Jackson Keane not return for this year's team.

NEXT YEAR - WHAT WE KNOW/WHAT WE DON'T KNOW:

Jake Sanderson - Gone 100% - Ready for the NHL..

Tyler Kleven - The biggest risk/ ? - Does he leave? I hope NOT. I think Tyler and his parents/advisors have enough self-awareness to know that he will not play in the NHL with Ottawa next year given their D-core depth. (checks hockeydb.com > looked up Jacob Bernard-Docker, *see Jacob has ONLY played "8" NHL games this year (he's pretty good!) Tyler - you reading this?!

Chris Jandric - With JS leaving, bring him back for next year, 100%. He'll be 24 years old next year, big deal. Enjoy your last year in college in Forks and win a National Title. Your pro career will always be there and can wait 1 year. You're only in college once - how !@#!$ was it playing in that no crowd Albany rink on Thursday night? You'll get a taste of that in "some" towns in the life of grinding AHL players.

Ashton Calder - Bring him back 100% if wants to come back and not start his pro career... No disrespect, he had 1 goal ONLY from Feb 25th - through March 24th. Not good enough, not his fault, slump steaks happen. Also, he is a shooter first and can make some smart plays/passing and dishes to players when open and available. Bottom line, GET THIS KID a passer/playmaker on his line next year if he comes back. Period. 

Who is actually coming in for next year freshmen? Locks = Blake, Mclaughlin, Dylan James (have to bring him in) + Spicer (coaches could push him back and say, go tear up juniors for 1 more year, but his style of play could benefit the team next year. Why? Cause injuries always happen and UND has been cursed with injuries the last few years).

Goalies - All hail Sweden, Hellsten is your guy! In addition, Hedquist comes in + UND coaching staff gets the best goalie available that "they" think would be a proper fit next year and brings that guy in! Harrison Feeney (depth/practice goalie)...and Kaleb Johnson (hometown kid etc.) you want to play college hockey for a team and prove yourself? Great, transfer IMHO, just saying... sounds to be a great/fantastic kid, and again, GF local boy. Know of the family, don't know him. I think he needs to decide what's best for him moving forward. 

This seasons surprises + positives: 

Luke Bast - Unreal second half improvement. Waited and earned his time with JS injury etc. has speed, transitions the puck well, swagger on the PP and can score, not much panic in his game. Literally, would be a top 4 D in the country for ANY college hockey team next year.

Matteo Costantini - Great freshie campaign, feel like the kid is a sponge and buys into whatever the coaches tell him and does it. Have a good off-season in the weight room for added strength and work on skill and puck protection skill drills for next year. Will be a force in Soph. season.

Cooper Moore - Has all the tools, skating, playmaking, composure. Take the off-season on strength + skill development will = how dominate you'll be for your Junior and Senior year UND. Sky is the limit, up to you...

Jake Schmaltz - Weight room 100% and work with your cousin Nick on how he developed the back-check stick lift get puck and go the other way skill as he (Nick) isn't a physical/strength dominant force, but again, learn this, and you'll add a tool to your skill toolset. 

Brent Johnson - Stayed the course, trusted the coaches and the process. Has all the tangibles and intangibles 100%. Weight room 100% for strength given he's had strength development periods stalled due to injuries.

#13 #20 #11 - All bought in, made commitments and all grew their games individually. Everyone UND hockey fan noticed this. Keep going!

Room for improvement:

#28 - Gotta find that mean component in your DNA and add that to your game for next year. So much potential, need that tenacity. MMA classes this off-season? Time to get mean if you want to play in the NHL or do you want to be a future partner at an accounting firm?

#29 - Just needs to continue on speed and quickness + skill development game for college hockey. You're Chris VandeVelde 2.0. And that's not a bad thing. CV had a huge jump going into his Soph. year. Why? Speed and quickness developed. He didn't have the speed/quickness yet as a freshie to dominate college hockey. It takes time. 

Biggest X-Factor for next year - MITCHELL MILLER - GP 50 - G 30 A 38 PTS 68 

Bring him back? Teach cancel culture a lesson and society? Work with him, get him involved in the community, on campus, but make him lead by action, not the adults telling him what to do. Or is this water under the bridge?

Discuss or provide "critical thought theory" :-)

Agree on a few things, especially the Miller comment. Bast being top 4 in the country on any team got me chuckling. I actually like him, but his D needs a bit of work.

Other than Sandy no one should leave early, obviously Frisch and Kleven could…I just don’t see them signing tbh. We’ll bring in a couple nice players (albeit freshman) and should be a tough team to play against next year. I think we’ll still struggle on the skill side of things but we should have chemistry. Overall, coaches need to start hammering the recruiting trail. Show you can snag a blue chip F (or 2) and recruit skill only. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I'm all about second chances, but I can't see the people in Twamley hall letting it happen.

That speaks to who sits behind those desks more than anything else. 

• Upvote 1