SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

Schlossman thinks a defenseman from the portal. 

I'm looking 12 months from now: if none use their Covid years, Frisch, Jandric, and Ferner are done and Kleven could go early.

Depending on what they'd bring in (if it's a one year guy) that would only leave Moore, Johnson, and Bast! 

If they do look for a defenseman in the portal ... I sure hope they're thinking about that. 

Or do you bite the bullet, and bring in a pipeline recruit to be the eighth defenseman and develop (and hopefully not need him and burn his redshirt). 

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Schlossman thinks a defenseman from the portal. 

I'm looking 12 months from now: if none use their Covid years, Frisch, Jandric, and Ferner are done and Kleven could go early.

Depending on what they'd bring in (if it's a one year guy) that would only leave Moore, Johnson, and Bast! 

If they do look for a defenseman in the portal ... I sure hope they're thinking about that. 

Or do you bite the bullet, and bring in a pipeline recruit to be the eighth defenseman and develop (and hopefully not need him and burn his redshirt). 

Are we sure Jandric and Ferner get Covid years? Neither of the teams they transferred from played the 2020-21 season. I thought the extra year was just for players who played that season. 

It's nice that they can be very selective with the portal defenseman. @The Sicatoka also, kind of always looking ahead another year, I think it would be wise to get someone who has (& will use) 2 or more years of eligibility. That would eliminate a Grad transfer at that position. 

I am surprised that we didn't hear anything on the forward front. With the rumors circulating here, you would expect Four forwards to come in (Blake / McLaughlin / Spicer / Strinden) and only 2 to leave (Ford / Senden). I just don't see 17 Forwards. I would have thought if someone on the current group was going to the Portal they would have done that by now. I thought that was going to be the case, but seems less likely now.

2 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Are we sure Jandric and Ferner get Covid years? Neither of the teams they transferred from played the 2020-21 season. I thought the extra year was just for players who played that season. 

Yes.

5 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

They do. 

For example, a D1 ... athlete, whether they compete in the 2020-21 competition season or not, is eligible for an extra year of competition.

https://www.ncsasports.org/coronavirus-sports/ncaa-eligibility-coronavirus 

58 minutes ago, AJS said:

It's nice that they can be very selective with the portal defenseman. @The Sicatoka also, kind of always looking ahead another year, I think it would be wise to get someone who has (& will use) 2 or more years of eligibility. That would eliminate a Grad transfer at that position. 

I am surprised that we didn't hear anything on the forward front. With the rumors circulating here, you would expect Four forwards to come in (Blake / McLaughlin / Spicer / Strinden) and only 2 to leave (Ford / Senden). I just don't see 17 Forwards. I would have thought if someone on the current group was going to the Portal they would have done that by now. I thought that was going to be the case, but seems less likely now.

I don't think Spicer will be coming in this year.

10 hours ago, tnt said:

4 goals tonight for Dylan James.  Could be tough to send him back to juniors next year.

... and the Omaha Lancers goalie pitched a 55 save shutout over the Fargo Force.

Anyone else notice that you see some remarkable USHL stat lines the couple weeks after the end of NCAA regionals? Hmmm ... I wonder why ... 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

... and the Omaha Lancers goalie pitched a 55 save shutout over the Fargo Force.

Anyone else notice that you see some remarkable USHL stat lines the couple weeks after the end of NCAA regionals? Hmmm ... I wonder why ... 

Heard on the radio this morning Brad Berry was in attendance at Fargo last night as well.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

…doesn’t Omaha need a goalie?   Imagine Berry was there to see how Nate Benoit is progressing.  Looks like that goalie is 3rd in the league in stats and uncommitted, but unless he is willing to wait 3 years we probably wouldn’t be a player on him.  Would like to see Hedquist go back to the USHL to see how much he progressed in the BCHL.

31 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

So when do  they announce Daschke and linden for next years class.

I keep waiting for them to announce Daschke with how much Schloss has been talking about him. Like he has a little inside info and knows he’s incoming or something. 
I think he’d be a great pickup, but much like Sicatoka mentioned earlier, that leaves us a bit bare the following year when our seniors dmen and Kleven all leave. We’d have to go back to the portal to pickup another 1-2 year guy. Not necessarily the worst thing, but something to consider. 

1 hour ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

So when do  they announce Daschke and linden for next years class.

Also, Linden from RPI would be an interesting get.
Putting up almost 40pts with half of them goals...wonder how much of that would transfer over to a much harder league. 
Neither Ford nor Calder matched their goal total from LSSU/BGSU (Ford went from 16g down to 4g...although did match his point total of 28 and Calder went from 16g down to 11g with 8 less total pts).

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

I keep waiting for them to announce Daschke with how much Schloss has been talking about him. Like he has a little inside info and knows he’s incoming or something. 
I think he’d be a great pickup, but much like Sicatoka mentioned earlier, that leaves us a bit bare the following year when our seniors dmen and Kleven all leave. We’d have to go back to the portal to pickup another 1-2 year guy. Not necessarily the worst thing, but something to consider. 

I thought it would help to have Daschke as insurance, as I believe he has the option of 2 years. Although, when we win another National Championship in Tampa next year there may be an exodus, but I would be o.k. if we secured number nine.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Linden is pretty good in the face off circle and working with Ulmer he would only get better. 

I think we sometimes under appreciate that skill, but it does have a huge bearing on winning and losing hockey games.  It could mean another teams power play not getting on track, or your own power play as well.  One has to wonder how much worse our power play and penalty kill would have been if we didn’t start out with possession many times because of Ford.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, tnt said:

I thought it would help to have Daschke as insurance, as I believe he has the option of 2 years. Although, when we win another National Championship in Tampa next year there may be an exodus, but I would be o.k. if we secured number nine.

Just double-checked, you're right...I thought he only had one year of eligibility remaining, but he has 2.
Hopefully Berry can land him!

Back-to-back Tampa 'ships...yeah, I'd be on board with that.  :) 

16 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

How does Daschke have two years with 4 years played, all with over 20 games logged?

Yeah, I just saw that.  The portal tracker on GPL must be wrong. My mistake for taking anything on GPL as gospel without confirming it first.  It seemed like I had heard his name forever.