SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

So not one but two former U-18 US NTDP players are giving every appearance (admitting?) that they're really not ready for college and willing to go to the USHL.

If they were "college ready" another school (transfer portal) would offer them; but instead a USHL team is willing to give them a shot, and again no USHL team is risking its first pick on something they know they won't get. These kids will be going to the USHL. 

Maybe they should've gone to the USHL for a season after the U-18 program before trying college. 

< cough > ... Spicer ... < cough > 

Stats for comparison:
Ryan St Louis https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=228230 
Cole Spicer https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=238292 

Ryan St Louis "is" Cole Spicer plus one year of age to the day (meaning height, weight, stats) and St Louis is going from college to the USHL. 

38 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Can only imagine how much of the money given to these kids will be pissed away. A financial literacy course needs to be mandated by the NCAA as a condition for receiving anything.

Pretty sure the collective is already named: The Good Ol' Boys Club.

"What is... all of it?, Alex"

I fondly remember financial aid disbursement week during college. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2022 at 1:13 PM, tnt said:

Couldn't agree more.  UND's bread and butter sport needs to stay ahead of all the new facilities coming on board. 

I’m sure the weights were fine in there and better than what the football team is working out in. 5 million is better spent on the HPC phase 2. Embarrassing this project is getting done first. I’m sure the outdated weight room was not the reason for some poor performances these last few years…… the Ralph is still light years ahead of most top programs, plus we have fans. Most programs won’t ever come close.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

On 5/2/2022 at 2:08 PM, UND1983 said:

Thank heavens they will get a new weight room and workout facility.  Cannot imagine how antiquated the old one was - and it only cost 5 million

Shame they skimped on a few things to bring it under budget.

I'd have cut a few massively underperforming teams to get a few more machines.

On 5/2/2022 at 3:25 PM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Was it always shared with women's soccer?

After womens hockey was executed they had to bring in a women's team to continue to comply with title IX in facilities provided for female athletes.

The REA complex (REA, Oly, Betty) was original price of over $113,000,000.00. Putting $5M into maintenance and upgrades of the facility is 4.5%. And this round cost UND nothing (as the Engelstad Foundation covered it). 

• Upvote 1

If Brad's reporting is correct and the money came from the Engelstad Foundation (KEM), then good for UND on getting her to give us money again.  If it actually came from the REA Foundation, it's further evidence of the arena management spending what should be UND's money in a way that may not be the most efficient or effective for the university.

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I'm all for spending $5M on the FB program if that investment can get a first down on 4th and 1 at own 20.

Yeah, we act like the UND hockey program has always been gifted everything.  At one point they had chicken wire for plexiglass and a freezing cold arena, and this was after they won a National Championship.  There is a reason that the hockey program became the face of the university, they didn't whine and complain, they just made do with what they had and started a program with a rich tradition.  I find it funny that the people that complain about the "hockey only" crowd only show up on this hockey forum to complain about the hockey program.    

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I'm all for spending $5M on the FB program if that investment can get a first down on 4th and 1 at own 20.

REA investment since 2019 will $11 million.  I say good for them. 

If being honest - both programs have the same number of playoff wins in their last 5 seasons where playoffs were held, one. 

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

Yeah, we act like the UND hockey program has always been gifted everything.  At one point they had chicken wire for plexiglass and a freezing cold arena, and this was after they won a National Championship.  There is a reason that the hockey program became the face of the university, they didn't whine and complain, they just made do with what they had and started a program with a rich tradition.  I find it funny that the people that complain about the "hockey only" crowd only show up on this hockey forum to complain about the hockey program.    

There wasn't any technology beyond chicken wire at that time.  The NHL had the same. 

9 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

There wasn't any technology beyond chicken wire at that time.  The NHL had the same. 

Plexiglass started in the 40's,  UND didn't get it until the 70's.   

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, tnt said:

You're right. Memorial Stadium and the Hyslop were truly state of the art facilities!

Just for reference:
Memorial Stadium - Built 1927 and used through 2000/01 season
Hyslop Sport Center - Built in 1951 and used through 2004
Winter Sports Building - Built in 1936 and used through 1972
Old REA - Built in 1972 and used through 2000/01 season

11 minutes ago, tnt said:

Plexiglass started in the 40's,  UND didn't get it until the 70's.   

Some places. But not everywhere. Plenty of NHL arena's didn't install it until the 70's and early 80's.

11 hours ago, Sioux&gt;Bison said:

I’m sure the weights were fine in there and better than what the football team is working out in. 5 million is better spent on the HPC phase 2. Embarrassing this project is getting done first. I’m sure the outdated weight room was not the reason for some poor performances these last few years…… the Ralph is still light years ahead of most top programs, plus we have fans. Most programs won’t ever come close.

Doesn't the Ralph use Engelstad money to do an upgrade almost every summer? The score board. A few years ago was new boards. A major locker room remodel some time ago. I'm sure there are many projects I am forgetting or never even knew about.

I don't understand why so many around here insist on feeling embarrassed by decisions made by other people.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

You're right. Memorial Stadium and the Hyslop were truly state of the art facilities!

Just for reference:
Memorial Stadium - Built 1927 and used through 2000/01 season
Hyslop Sport Center - Built in 1951 and used through 2004
Winter Sports Building - Built in 1936 and used through 1972
Old REA - Built in 1972 and used through 2000/01 season

Some places. But not everywhere. Plenty of NHL arena's didn't install it until the 70's and early 80's.

Don't think UND would stop the football team from building a new facility if a football benefactor gave them the money.  Isn't that why we are waiting on Phase 2?

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

What bothers me is why should we being telling other people how to spend their money , if the Engelstads want to spend it on the hockey team their choice, just like people telling Musk he should have spent 44 billion on world hunger , his choice not anybody else. 

The issue is that some of that money is generated by UND student-athletes. That should benefit the athletic department as a whole. That is how intercollegiate athletics is funded, whether you or I like it or not.

1 hour ago, tnt said:

I suspect you weren’t around before the first REA. People,  including hockey fans, players, coaches, complained about the lack of facilities. Same with other sports. There wasn’t a “hockey only” crowd. The first REA wasn’t sold out the first few years because we weren’t that good. Hockey got their best crowds after home MBB games when fans walked from Hyslop over to hockey at the REA. Crowds improved only after the team improved. The timing of the Ralph and the tradition of success for the team and the growth of hockey in and outside the region at the same time created the “hockey only” faction. The program has never superseded the Academic reputation of the University as the “face of the University” outside of the hockey/sports world. Successful athletics has always boosted the popularity of institutions of higher learning. In some cases,  one can make a good argument that has happened. Alabama fb lately would be an example. NDSU even with their success in FB, is still recognized nationally for its academic reputation as an educational leader in Agriculture, pharmacy, engineering rather than for FB. l believe it has gained a growing reputation as a FB power in the sports world, but it’s academic reputation nationally supersedes it’s FB accomplishments among the majority of people. I know we have rabid fans that may disagree and they may be right,  but I think as we live and work in different parts of the country and around the world we learn that most people don’t have the same zeal for athletics and our sports teams as some of us might. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I suspect you weren’t around before the first REA. People,  including hockey fans, players, coaches, complained about the lack of facilities. Same with other sports. There wasn’t a “hockey only” crowd. The first REA wasn’t sold out the first few years because we weren’t that good. Hockey got their best crowds after home MBB games when fans walked from Hyslop over to hockey at the REA. Crowds improved only after the team improved. The timing of the Ralph and the tradition of success for the team and the growth of hockey in and outside the region at the same time created the “hockey only” faction. The program has never superseded the Academic reputation of the University as the “face of the University” outside of the hockey/sports world. Successful athletics has always boosted the popularity of institutions of higher learning. In some cases,  one can make a good argument that has happened. Alabama fb lately would be an example. NDSU even with their success in FB, is still recognized nationally for its academic reputation as an educational leader in Agriculture, pharmacy, engineering rather than for FB. l believe it has gained a growing reputation as a FB power in the sports world, but it’s academic reputation nationally supersedes it’s FB accomplishments among the majority of people. I know we have rabid fans that may disagree and they may be right,  but I think as we live and work in different parts of the country and around the world we learn that most people don’t have the same zeal for athletics and our sports teams as some of us might. 

Wearing Sioux gear in the northwest has resulted in people asking me if I'm a pilot. UND is a flight school to many.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Don't think UND would stop the football team from building a new facility if a football benefactor gave them the money.  Isn't that why we are waiting on Phase 2?

Who's arguing any of that?
The bigger question is the money coming from the REA Foundation (reserves) or the Engelstad Foundation?
If it is the latter, tough to take issue with it. If that is where they would like money to go, while it could likely move the needle more in other spots, take what is offered and say thank you.
If it is the former, then its being funded with money generated by the athletic department as a whole that were held back and not sent to the athletic department and there is some room for discussion.