SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

24 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Who's arguing any of that?
The bigger question is the money coming from the REA Foundation (reserves) or the Engelstad Foundation?
If it is the latter, tough to take issue with it. If that is where they would like money to go, while it could likely move the needle more in other spots, take what is offered and say thank you.
If it is the former, then its being funded with money generated by the athletic department as a whole that were held back and not sent to the athletic department and there is some room for discussion.

My often flawed memory is that the the scoreboard money was $2 mil from REA Foundation and $4 mil from Engelstad Foundation.

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Wearing Sioux gear in the northwest has resulted in people asking me if I'm a pilot. UND is a flight school to many.

Walking the streets aimlessly while yelling out quotes from the movie "Airplane!" probably helps that narrative too. 

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The issue is that some of that money is generated by UND student-athletes. 

Not if it came from the Engelstad Family Trust Foundation. (People are very sloppy with language on these matters.)

(I swear there's an echo in here ... because I do this every couple years ... )

If you want to learn about the various entities, and how they operate, as non-profits they file Form 990 with the IRS.

You can view those here: https://www.guidestar.org/

Ralph Engelstad Arena related entities:

• UND Arena Services Inc <-- management of facility and engages in other 501(C)(3) allowed charitable, educational activities (like running tickeing for UND)
  • UND Sports Facilities Inc <-- appears to own the arena based on (depreciated) assets
  • RE Arena Inc <-- operates the arena

Then there's ...

• Engelstad Family Foundation <-- effectively Ralph's estate at death, controlled by trustees Betty, KEM, Jeffrey Cooper (Ralph's friend and accountant), and assistant trustee Sean McGarry (yes, KEM's son). This is NOT the arena. And it has assets ... 
  • UND Alumni Association and Foundation
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

So, that 2022-23 UND men's hockey team, eh? Amirite? 

Two questions remain at top of mind with me:

- Will the returnees naturally progress and the offense produce?
- Will "Hellboy" and "The Riddler" make us forget ... what was his name again? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

(I swear there's an echo in here ... because I do this every couple years ... )

If you want to learn about the various entities, and how they operate, as non-profits they file Form 990 with the IRS.

You can view those here: https://www.guidestar.org/

Ralph Engelstad Arena related entities:

• UND Arena Services Inc <-- management of facility and engages in other 501(C)(3) allowed charitable, educational activities (like running tickeing for UND)
  • UND Sports Facilities Inc <-- appears to own the arena based on (depreciated) assets
  • RE Arena Inc <-- operates the arena

Then there's ...

• Engelstad Family Foundation <-- effectively Ralph's estate at death, controlled by trustees Betty, KEM, Jeffrey Cooper (Ralph's friend and accountant), and assistant trustee Sean McGarry (yes, KEM's son). This is NOT the arena. And it has assets ... 
  • UND Alumni Association and Foundation

We need to make a wiki for this.  Kinda feels like this sometimes...

image.jpeg.552fb32ec4a8e83945c4b80e82254d3b.jpeg

edit: actually, doing that is literally required if looking at the rea 990's lol

3 hours ago, nodak651 said:

The 3 million dollar locker room reno and this 5 million dollar reno are reportedly all from the Engelstad Foundation, and if that is the case, I'm

I am thinking that you are a little light on the locker room renovations. And yes, very grateful to a very forward thinking and generous Ralph Engelstad and family.

19 minutes ago, Tbone said:

I am thinking that you are a little light on the locker room renovations. And yes, very grateful to a very forward thinking and generous Ralph Engelstad and family.

I can believe that.  They did a lot of nice work.  If correct, this highlights my point about confusion and a lack of quality information though - newspaper reported 3 mil.

Just now, SIOUXELEVENS said:

The goalie , sorry 

Why would he go?

Feeney's in the portal.
It'll be him, Hellsten, and DeRidder.
He trades DeRidder for Hedquist in a year.
He's got a slot. And he wasn't recruited as a number one.