SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

11 minutes ago, brianvf said:

This goal was Bast doing his best Sanderson impression...and doing a pretty good job of it, too.

If Kunz wants to stand in front and pound home every loose rebound from a point shot ... I'm good with that. 

It wasn’t long ago that there were maybe 4 freshmen forwards coming in, maybe. In order, as I remember, it was Blake, McLaughlin, Strinden and maybe James. Did James catch fire or was he always on the top of that group? It looks like we could have an exciting bunch of freshman forwards who can do more than just contribute by mid season, if not sooner! I got the feeling that young Blake, his dad used to terrorize our neighborhood when he was a teenager (he was a regular Eddy Haskel to all the moms), will take right off where his dad left off. Are the others fast too? Blake Sr had amazing speed and acceleration, he was feisty and fun to watch, even though he could be a pain in the ass. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, mattim said:

It wasn’t long ago that there were maybe 4 freshmen forwards coming in, maybe. In order, as I remember, it was Blake, McLaughlin, Strinden and maybe James. Did James catch fire or was he always on the top of that group? It looks like we could have an exciting bunch of freshman forwards who can do more than just contribute by mid season, if not sooner! I got the feeling that young Blake, his dad used to terrorize our neighborhood when he was a teenager (he was a regular Eddy Haskel to all the moms), will take right off where his dad left off. Are the others fast too? Blake Sr had amazing speed and acceleration, he was feisty and fun to watch, even though he could be a pain in the ass. 

All four are very, very solid players. Strinden likely won't produce big time numbers for a couple of years, but the other three should pitch in right away as they could all three be sprinkled in for good minutes right away. From what I was told and heard was that James was initially going to be held out for one more year, but blossomed really nicely this season and was given the option to come in next year, so he's very likely to be coming. 

Blake is super dynamic and could be a game-breaker for us if he continues his growth. Needs to bulk up a little bit, but he's a heckuva playmaker with some big-time scoring touch. James is quick, good skater and gets a lot of his goals from being in the right place and playing smart. Big time nose for the net. McLaughlin is a solid, responsible center that will slot into a big position of need. Very good playmaker. Strinden has nice size and skates well from what I've seen with that size. 

Should be a very nice class for us. 

21 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

All four are very, very solid players. Strinden likely won't produce big time numbers for a couple of years, but the other three should pitch in right away as they could all three be sprinkled in for good minutes right away. From what I was told and heard was that James was initially going to be held out for one more year, but blossomed really nicely this season and was given the option to come in next year, so he's very likely to be coming. 

Blake is super dynamic and could be a game-breaker for us if he continues his growth. Needs to bulk up a little bit, but he's a heckuva playmaker with some big-time scoring touch. James is quick, good skater and gets a lot of his goals from being in the right place and playing smart. Big time nose for the net. McLaughlin is a solid, responsible center that will slot into a big position of need. Very good playmaker. Strinden has nice size and skates well from what I've seen with that size. 

Should be a very nice class for us. 

Thanks for that update, I’m excited to see each of them play.

https://www.inquirer.com/flyers/flyers-not-signing-whl-prospect-connor-mcclennon-20220601.html

Not quite understanding this offer to Owen McGlaughlin. Is this something to be concerned about? Would absolutely suck to lose him after already losing Spicer.  Guess we’ll know in 30 days for sure. Guess the Flyers aren’t buying into how good college development is. Seems to me they should see the benefit it has been for Cates and Attard.

3 hours ago, tnt said:

https://www.inquirer.com/flyers/flyers-not-signing-whl-prospect-connor-mcclennon-20220601.html

Not quite understanding this offer to Owen McGlaughlin. Is this something to be concerned about? Would absolutely suck to lose him after already losing Spicer.  Guess we’ll know in 30 days for sure. Guess the Flyers aren’t buying into how good college development is. Seems to me they should see the benefit it has been for Cates and Attard.

McLaughlin's stock went way up this season and I think it would be silly for him to jump that early. Everything I heard about him when he committed to UND was we got a steal because had he not gotten picked last year, he would have been an early rounder this year. Feels like Philly is nervous he's gonna keep blowing up and walk in three years. 

I'd be surprised if he goes seeing that he's a 7th rounder and would almost certainly not sniff the NHL for a long time. 

They "no offered" one player (McClennon) in the link and lose exclusive signing rights it says. 

Does making a "bona fide" offer (McLaughlin) allow PHI to hang onto exclusive rights for another year whether he signs or not?