SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

7 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Jason Smallidge is a right hand D with NCHC experience, and as a MN resident gets a discount on tuition in lieu of a scholarship.

Seems tuition may not be a concern for Mr. Smallidge should there be mutual interest.  
https://www.nchchockey.com/news_article/show/1215585 

Omaha senior defenseman Jason Smallidge has been selected the recipient of the 2022 NCHC Postgraduate Scholarship, ...

... plans to work towards his Master's in Business Administration ... 

Looks like Smallidge got caught in a numbers game in Omaha. They carried 9D. A couple freshmen (Pennington and Mancini) got 30+ games each. Knoepke came back as a fifth-year. They went Proctor, Scanlin, Knoepke, Krenzen, Mancini, Pennington (30+ games each) most nights. Next in was Johnny T at 24. Then Harrison and Smallidge at 8 each

And just as I post this someone else finds this "answer key".
https://unothegateway.com/from-car-ride-to-concussion-omahas-jake-harrison-and-jason-smallidge-share-unique-bond-through-injury-plagued-season/

So, I'm bored and I'm curious.... who in the heck is wearing letters this year???

I highly doubt they'd take the letters off of Sendo or Hain. 

Have we ever had a co-captain? I think that'd be weird. Frisch could/should absolutely wear a C, but I don't think they'd take it off of Sendo. 

Doesn't bother me to have a lot of letters. Depth and leadership will be a big part of this team.

I'll say this:

C - Senden
A - Hain
A - Frisch
A - Gaber
A - Jammer
A - Judd

And dare I say .... Kleven, to me, deserves a letter ... Maybe remove Juddy and add Kleven? Or.... go real nutty in the COVID nutty era and go with 6 As lol.

More ridiculous than a 1C/5A scenario? CC this year with 3C/0A. 

Would they go 1C/2A (Senden, Hain, Frisch) and would that be some sort of tell to 2023-24 season?

Would they go 1C/3A (above plus Jamernik) and would that be a different tell? 

Would they go 1C/5A like 2016? (And which five? Hain and Frisch are the gimmes.)

Oh the many questions of the off season ... 

56 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

And it looked ridiculous

44 minutes ago, brianvf said:

They certainly looked ridiculous skating that trophy around the ice in Tampa. ;)

43 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

Was waiting for that:wink:

GOT EM! 

Hahaha that was solid. Yeah, 6 would be A LOT, but I didn't have a problem with 5, IMO.

4 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

So will Sidorski be required to take classes? Sounds like he’s graduating with a double major from Union so curious to know what the academic rules are for 5th year seniors? 

I assume he will enroll in grad school. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Neuroscience and Economics ... talk about peas and lug nuts. Not sure how those go together. 

Is he coming for grad classes at Med School, or MBA, ... or both. :blink:

Would guess MBA based on his summer internship plans. 

Defensemen (8)
Fifth-year Chris Jandric
Fifth-year Ty Farmer
Fifth-year Ryan Sidorski
Senior Ethan Frisch
Junior Tyler Kleven
Junior Cooper Moore
Sophomore Brent Johnson
Sophomore Luke Bast

I'm guessing we'll be going back to the portal next season for some dmen.
My bet would be that we'll lose Jandric, Farmer, Sidorski, Frisch, and Kleven from this list next year....leaving just Moore, Johnson, and Bast as our remaining d-corps. 
Depending on how many of our current dman recruits are ready to join the NCAA ranks.

8 hours ago, brianvf said:

Defensemen (8)
Fifth-year Chris Jandric
Fifth-year Ty Farmer
Fifth-year Ryan Sidorski
Senior Ethan Frisch
Junior Tyler Kleven
Junior Cooper Moore
Sophomore Brent Johnson
Sophomore Luke Bast

My bet would be that we'll lose Jandric, Farmer, Sidorski, Frisch, and Kleven from this list next year....leaving just Moore, Johnson, and Bast as our remaining d-corps. 
Depending on how many of our current dman recruits are ready to join the NCAA ranks.

Hopefully most of them are since zero were ready this year, which is absurd.  

8 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

So the last time UND had a C and five As, they won a national championship. And I don't recall having a C and five As since. Logic then tells me go with a C and five As. It's obviously the path the #9.

C - Senden,  A Hain, Frisch, Gaber, Klevin and a player to be named later. 

... and a fish bowl ... amIright @geaux_sioux?

8 hours ago, brianvf said:

Defensemen (8)
Fifth-year Chris Jandric
Fifth-year Ty Farmer
Fifth-year Ryan Sidorski
Senior Ethan Frisch
Junior Tyler Kleven
Junior Cooper Moore
Sophomore Brent Johnson
Sophomore Luke Bast

On 5/6/2022 at 5:53 PM, The Sicatoka said:

I can argue both ways.

One year rental: Bring in a one year top four guy and take a run at a green banner. The younger portion of the corps gets more time to ripen. Farmer (plus Hain and Senden) tells me what I need to know: this is the plan. Farmer is the right fit: right shot, and can cover if Jandric or Moore "make him like clothesline". 

- or - 

Guy with eligibility: A year from now Jandric is done. Frisch will be entertaining FA offers; OTT will be pressuring Kleven. And if Moore were to progress, who knows. Yes, there's a real scenario where the defense could be down to Johnson, Bast, (Sanderson's replacement), and (Ferner's replacement). In this scenario bringing in a guy with more than year (instead of Farmer) would make sense. But, now with Farmer here you're going to only get a fourth-pair guy because there's no minutes.  

What do I believe we'll be talking about in 12 months?
Expected case: A year from now it'll be Moore, Johnson, Bast, (Ferner's replacement), and four well-rounded ready incoming freshmen. 
Best case: See Expected case but Frisch spends his Covid year at UND (I expect Kleven to go), which also means three freshmen (because one isn't ready).
Worst case: Johnson, Bast, (Ferner's replacement), and four well-rounded ready incoming freshmen, and an upperclassman portal. 

We're off my notions completely with two "rentals". I still believe Kleven is gone after 2022-23.

The best case becomes Johnson, Bast, Frisch plays a Covid season, and Moore stays and four unknowns (freshmen and portals). 

My worst case becomes ... Johnson, Bast, and six unknowns (freshmen and portals).