SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

On 4/19/2022 at 12:54 PM, The Sicatoka said:

Since season's end @UNDmhockey has tweeted out "they're coming" or "they're staying" tweets about:

G: DeRidder
F: Gaber, Senden, Hain, Caulfield, Albrecht, Ness,
D: Frisch, Kleven, Jandric, Ferner, Moore, Farmer

They have not about ...

G: Hellsten, Feeney, K Johnson
F: Jamernik, Budy, Monty, Schmaltz, Costantini, Portz, Kunz  
D: Bast, Johnson

The 2021-22 freshmen being in the "not" list does not surprise me.
But nothing about Hellsten and LouieJam? Not sayin', just sayin'. And yeah, Hellsten is a 2021-22 freshman. 

And Budy in the "not" list ... no comment. 

Might’ve pulled your other hammy…

13 hours ago, ChetSteadman said:

Might’ve pulled your other hammy…

How? There's no predictions there, just observations of events.
And I'd like to see a couple more "they're back" tweets. 

Then again, I haven't stretched yet today and that right hip is barking. 

I would be equally surprised if anybody else left as I would be if there weren't 4 Freshman forwards. It looks like 17F / 8D / 4G for the 2022/23 season. What this offseason has really shined light on and now other situations have made more sense to me is the scholarship situation and performance. It's always been clear that your performance will most likely dictate your % the next year to some degree. The last piece of the puzzle for me though is the realization that as long as a player is ok with low scholarship (lets say they started with a higher % based on Junior pedigree) and potentially low ice time, then they have a spot on the team. Long way of saying you'll never see someone told that they aren't cutting it and they should look elsewhere. 

7 minutes ago, AJS said:

It looks like 17F / 8D / 4G for the 2022/23 season. 

I see where you're coming from.

What I wonder is what impact does carrying 29 (vs 26 or 27) on a roster have on overall athletics department Title IX equity and proportionality numbers? 

59 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I see where you're coming from.

What I wonder is what impact does carrying 29 (vs 26 or 27) on a roster have on overall athletics department Title IX equity and proportionality numbers? 

Good point. I would also say on the hockey budget. The scholarship is pretty minimal compared to all the other expenses a player incurs. 

23 minutes ago, AJS said:

Good point. I would also say on the hockey budget. The scholarship is pretty minimal compared to all the other expenses a player incurs. 

And 18 total but divisible scholarships is a hard number no matter roster size <-- known fixed expense. 

As you say, as roster grows you have a significant variable expense. 

On 4/19/2022 at 12:54 PM, The Sicatoka said:

Since season's end @UNDmhockey has tweeted out "they're coming" or "they're staying" tweets about:

G: DeRidder
F: Gaber, Senden, Hain, Caulfield, Albrecht, Ness,
D: Frisch, Kleven, Jandric, Ferner, Moore, Farmer

They have not about ...

G: Hellsten, Feeney, K Johnson
F: Jamernik, Budy, Monty, Schmaltz, Costantini, Portz, Kunz  
D: Bast, Johnson

The 2021-22 freshmen being in the "not" list does not surprise me.
But nothing about Hellsten and LouieJam? Not sayin', just sayin'. And yeah, Hellsten is a 2021-22 freshman. 

And Budy in the "not" list ... no comment. 

Someone must've heard me. @UNDmhockey just tweeted a "Louie Louie"

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I like that addition to the schedule and playing a new team like Lindenwood.  Even cooler that is has the UND connection with Zombo coaching them.
I'm more excited to see a fresh face on the schedule rather than Bemidji again.  ;)

As long as this doesn't happen again:

Lindenwood, which won the club hockey national title this spring, has already been working the NCAA transfer portal to help build its roster.

One of the portal adds is painfully familiar to UND — Canisius goalie Matt Ladd. In January 2019, Ladd stopped 48 of 49 shots to help Canisius stun UND 2-1 in Buffalo, N.Y.

:D 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, brianvf said:

And there it is:

Budy enters transfer portal

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-forward-brendan-budy-enters-transfer-portal?fbclid=IwAR26tFgEeswvT8rygZHRDffQxzzeFLcYy_VGECqELtauJWqohcK_S_rruJc

The move we were somewhat expecting.
Now that leaves us at 16F if we bring in all four freshmen forwards.

Sucks, I really liked him and his unselfishishness and humanitarianism, but sometimes things just don't work out. Best of luck wherever he goes.

• Upvote 4

43 minutes ago, brianvf said:

And there it is:

Budy enters transfer portal

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-forward-brendan-budy-enters-transfer-portal?fbclid=IwAR26tFgEeswvT8rygZHRDffQxzzeFLcYy_VGECqELtauJWqohcK_S_rruJc

The move we were somewhat expecting.
Now that leaves us at 16F if we bring in all four freshmen forwards.

Who are those 4.

Blake, McGlaughlin(sp) James and ?

6 hours ago, DAR said:

I bet James goes Major Junior.  That is the rumor. 

I sure hope not.  Why would he play three years in Junior A and then make the jump after his draft year?  It's not like the pandemic forced him down here as the WHL wasn't shutdown like other Major Junior leagues.

If he does jump, it makes the Spicer situation that much worse.

Where are the MJ rumors about James coming from? He was playing in Canada and was drafted by Brandon in 2018, but has since come to the USHL( drafted in 2019). I am guessing Brandon has offered him multiple times between 2018 and now....so I am not sure how much I buy these rumors.

• Upvote 1

Would love @DAR to expand a little bit on the rumor. How solid he thinks it is. @as15 you're right, unless there wasn't a spot for him this Fall, then it wouldn't make sense. Sometimes it's a feeling or momentum, but everything with this Forward logjam situation has been really slow, clunky. It's been really frustrating to watch it play out. Even Schlossman's article yesterday, it was James being up in the air for next Fall. I don't get it. How has that been a question for months?