SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. Notre Dame - Albany Regional - NCAA regional semis

stoneySIOUX

Sometimes I think the staff thinks they can win on the "culture" alone.  When it gets down to games like these, you need some difference makers to make that extra play, or just have the talent to bury one when most wouldn't.  Duluth doesn't really have the difference makers either, but they are so disciplined that they all stick to their roles and they don't make the mistakes like the first goal we gave up last night.  Let's face it, Berry isn't a disciplinarian, we could tell that with the whole Rhett Gardner situation when he didn't sit him until the whole fanbase was wondering what was going on.  Thankfully, with a bump in the existing class, and the talent coming in next year, we should be able to make waves again next year with the regional in Fargo.  Could be quite a bit of pressure in that regional, because of all the past circumstances.  Really need to recruit with the premise that you are going to lose more skilled guys, so recruit more to replace them, because inevitably all of them won't pan out.  Just really hope we don't have to listen to Duluth, Denver, Minnesota or Michigan celebrate a Natty, as that would definitely add insult to injury. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tnt said:

Sometimes I think the staff thinks they can win on the "culture" alone.  When it gets down to games like these, you need some difference makers to make that extra play, or just have the talent to bury one when most wouldn't.  Duluth doesn't really have the difference makers either, but they are so disciplined that they all stick to their roles and they don't make the mistakes like the first goal we gave up last night.  Let's face it, Berry isn't a disciplinarian, we could tell that with the whole Rhett Gardner situation when he didn't sit him until the whole fanbase was wondering what was going on.  Thankfully, with a bump in the existing class, and the talent coming in next year, we should be able to make waves again next year with the regional in Fargo.  Could be quite a bit of pressure in that regional, because of all the past circumstances.  Really need to recruit with the premise that you are going to lose more skilled guys, so recruit more to replace them, because inevitably all of them won't pan out. 

Agreed. We’ve missed on fairly significant recruits the past 2-3 years. Kids we would normally get. However, we’ll be another year older next year and we’re bringing in two fairly skilled F’s. We should be better next year but I still have some question marks on our overall recruiting philosophy.

9 minutes ago, tnt said:

Sometimes I think the staff thinks they can win on the "culture" alone.  When it gets down to games like these, you need some difference makers to make that extra play, or just have the talent to bury one when most wouldn't.  Duluth doesn't really have the difference makers either, but they are so disciplined that they all stick to their roles and they don't make the mistakes like the first goal we gave up last night.  Let's face it, Berry isn't a disciplinarian, we could tell that with the whole Rhett Gardner situation when he didn't sit him until the whole fanbase was wondering what was going on.  Thankfully, with a bump in the existing class, and the talent coming in next year, we should be able to make waves again next year with the regional in Fargo.  Could be quite a bit of pressure in that regional, because of all the past circumstances.  Really need to recruit with the premise that you are going to lose more skilled guys, so recruit more to replace them, because inevitably all of them won't pan out. 

This part right here makes me question the Morrow decision even more so. I get there were apparently "red flags" but wouldn't you think with a coach and team that preaches "culture" that you could bring in a kid with huge talent and groom him into the culture rather than be scared away from him? All this being said, I haven't heard one thing bad about him with UMASS and the World Junior team which again makes me question the decision. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

This part right here makes me question the Morrow decision even more so. I get there were apparently "red flags" but wouldn't you think with a coach and team that preaches "culture" that you could bring in a kid with huge talent and groom him into the culture rather than be scared away from him? All this being said, I haven't heard one thing bad about him with UMASS and the World Junior team which again makes me question the decision. 

Especially when you were willing to take a huge chance on Mitchell Miller.  To me, that makes no sense at all, and the fact that Brent Johnson was injured at the end of last year, and really couldn't get back to a full training regimen until much later makes that decision even more of a head scratcher. 

47 minutes ago, tnt said:

Sometimes I think the staff thinks they can win on the "culture" alone.  When it gets down to games like these, you need some difference makers to make that extra play, or just have the talent to bury one when most wouldn't.  Duluth doesn't really have the difference makers either, but they are so disciplined that they all stick to their roles and they don't make the mistakes like the first goal we gave up last night.  Let's face it, Berry isn't a disciplinarian, we could tell that with the whole Rhett Gardner situation when he didn't sit him until the whole fanbase was wondering what was going on.  Thankfully, with a bump in the existing class, and the talent coming in next year, we should be able to make waves again next year with the regional in Fargo.  Could be quite a bit of pressure in that regional, because of all the past circumstances.  Really need to recruit with the premise that you are going to lose more skilled guys, so recruit more to replace them, because inevitably all of them won't pan out.  Just really hope we don't have to listen to Duluth, Denver, Minnesota or Michigan celebrate a Natty, as that would definitely add insult to injury. 

Well said. 

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

We, apparently, asked him to stay another year in Junior and he felt he was ready. So, that unfortunately looks like a big miss. 

Yeah, but he did stay in junior for the extra year.  So he wasn't ready. 

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

We, apparently, asked him to stay another year in Junior and he felt he was ready. So, that unfortunately looks like a big miss. 

Which still doesn't make much sense because he didnt commit to a school early enough and still played another year of juniors. Maybe a school of his choosing didn't offer him sooner? 

3 minutes ago, jk said:

Don't we just not really know the whole story on Morrow and Rizzo?  I've seen internet speculation (some by me no doubt), but hard to judge without knowing what actually happened. 

I won't say what I was told about the Morrow situation, but from what I was told, I don't care what he does as a college player from here on out, I think it was the right choice for him to go elsewhere. Rizzo, I think was a miss based on this season, no doubt.

2 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Which still doesn't make much sense because he didnt commit to a school early enough and still played another year of juniors. Maybe a school of his choosing didn't offer him sooner? 

Yeah, I don't know exactly what all happened. Regardless, I wish we had him. He had a terrific year. 

5 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

If berry was adamant about rizzo having to spend another year in juniors or decomit and go elsewhere then something needs changing with berry. 

Because of one miss? Feels a bit harsh, but Rizzo agreed, I'm sure he isn't happy with how well he's played in Denver. Hindsight is 20/20 and it happens. Do you feel the same way about Ryder Donovan? Everyone was devastated around here when he went to Wisco...

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

The issue wasn’t with the kid. And yes we should have kept him. Huge oversight 

55 minutes ago, tnt said:

Especially when you were willing to take a huge chance on Mitchell Miller.  To me, that makes no sense at all, and the fact that Brent Johnson was injured at the end of last year, and really couldn't get back to a full training regimen until much later makes that decision even more of a head scratcher. 

We should have brought in Morrow and had Johnson play an extra year of juniors TBH. Morrow was more ready, especially considering Johnson had a significant injury.

19 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Because of one miss? Feels a bit harsh, but Rizzo agreed, I'm sure he isn't happy with how well he's played in Denver. Hindsight is 20/20 and it happens. Do you feel the same way about Ryder Donovan? Everyone was devastated around here when he went to Wisco...

Cough cough Halliday , and we may never know on others we missed out on. 

2 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Can certainly play that game the other way, too. It is what it is, IMO. I think it's unfair to judge Bubbs on that wholly, but I get it.

35 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

More than one. Ryder has time.

19 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Did Halliday get passed over in two NHL drafts?   If that is the case, then there is some reason that someone his size didn't get drafted yet.   Not saying he won't be a good college player, but sometimes big guys take a while to adjust to college because they can't just overpower guys anymore.  Think Seth Ambroz as a guy that scored well in juniors but took a while to adjust to the college level.  Regardless, it will be interesting to see how he plays in the wide open Big Ten.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Green said:

I don't get this crap about this team over performed.  Sure they had a lot of turnover, but they brought in plenty of transfers, so its not like the were all freshmen.  They were a 1st place team to start the new year so it not like they just came on in the 2nd half.  They had 2 bad weekends in January, and they sh!t the bed in the playoffs.  

This program should never be in a position the be rebuilding, they should reload every year.  Having to rebuild is a black mark on Berry.

I would like to think they would have made a run in 2020, but after the last 2 years i'm more and more convinced they would have been 1 and done or maybe won a game.

Imagine that you work for a pretty good sized company. You lose half of your work forces. They're replaced with a whole new group of people. You're going to have growing pains. I think UND exceeded expectations this year. 

After last season’s amazing run, UND lost seven of their top-10 points leaders. That equates to (71g-121a–192pts). Yes, that’s a lot of offense. If we’re doing math, UND lost 62% of their offense. 

• Upvote 1

You hear all the time that everyone is dealing with injuries, but is that actually true? Was Notre Dame missing anyone? Duluth? Denver? Michigan? Minnesota? Completely understand that this is the biggest loser argument or statement, but this team one of these years needs to be healthy going into the playoffs. This game would have been different with Hain / Sanderson. I'm convinced that a healthy Mismash / Senden would have changed last years outcome vs Duluth. Nothing can be done, but it matters.