SiouxSports.com Forum

CC @ UND -- Friday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

CC has been a tough out for a lot of teams this year.   They  beat  BC, tied UMD and SCSU, and lost by a goal to WMich.    They will lose more than they win, but they can put it together at times.   The difference between the 1st and 2-3rd periods last night was an illustration.  We clearly outplayed them in P1; entirely different story the rest of the way.   Need a few bounces tonight.  And more discipline.  

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

What makes me a little nervous is how tough of an out CC ended up being last night whereas a few weeks ago I watched DU dispatch of a grossly outmatched CC team with relative ease. I hope we get some of our key guys back from injury soon. 

To be honest, UND was enroute of dispatching of CC and then they started to get into penalty trouble again and for whatever reason our PK, along with our other special teams, are just not clicking. I do believe DU is a good team but I don’t agree with a previous poster that they are on another level. We will see whatever comes tourney time but if we get our guys back and relatively healthy we should be alright. UND plays DU pretty good IMO. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jk said:

Denver may just be on another planet this year.  But to your point about UND, they are not impressive or explosive.  They need to make the right play all game long and hope to get more bounces than the other guys.  Two point shots, a basic hockey play that works only very occasionally, making it into the UND net last night is an example of how tenuous it is when the breaks go the other way.  

If you said UND had to play a shutdown game to win, fine.  But if you said they had to do it without 19, 27 and 10, well, good luck.  That said, three points Saturday night is just crucial, however they can scrape them up. 

If Denver is that good, how did we sweep them?

17 hours ago, bcblues said:

Careful what you wish for....

Remember back to the WCHA era and how much Hunt and Shepherd used to love UND.....

You forgot Anderson, Schmidt and Champion. Champion, 2006 I think, the Sioux swept the gophers in Mariucci for the first time in 20 years. Every time the Sioux were up by two goals a penalty got called on them. I think there were 17-18 penalties called on the Sioux that series, more then half bullshyt penalties 

7 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

You forgot Anderson, Schmidt and Champion. Champion, 2006 I think, the Sioux swept the gophers in Mariucci for the first time in 20 years. Every time the Sioux were up by two goals a penalty got called on them. I think there were 17-18 penalties called on the Sioux that series, more then half bullshyt penalties 

I'd put Derek Shepherd up against any the current officials. I don't know how Stern is still officiating after a few of his horrendous calls. 

3 hours ago, jk said:

I've hardly seen DU play since they left GF with a 4-4 record.  But 17-1-1 since then speaks for itself.  Of course it doesn't guarantee a thing for the postseason. 

I was skeptical of DU’s success during their run given the list of opponents they played but they’ve proven me wrong as of late as they’re continuing their run against some good opponents too-swept St. Cloud and beat Duluth last night. True test will be when they go on the road to Kalamazoo. 

Anyone in the know on league protocol for issuing supplemental discipline for 5 minute majors? Does the league review every 5 minute major that’s called or could the CC coach have politicked the league to take a closer look at the play to determine whether additional punishment was warranted? -I haven’t had a chance to see replay of the hit so not aware if the extra game suspension is warranted or not. 

49 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Anyone in the know on league protocol for issuing supplemental discipline for 5 minute majors? Does the league review every 5 minute major that’s called or could the CC coach have politicked the league to take a closer look at the play to determine whether additional punishment was warranted? -I haven’t had a chance to see replay of the hit so not aware if the extra game suspension is warranted or not. 

The league reviews every major penalty. 

The hit did warrant an extra game.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Blackheart said:

Does NCHC have the DU staff review the majors for them?

I'm sure there was a backroom that is dark, filled with smoke, with a single light hanging from the ceiling, with a table that Carle is sitting behind when the NCHC officials happen to visit from time to time

5 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I'm sure there was a backroom that is dark, filled with smoke, with a single light hanging from the ceiling, with a table that Carle is sitting behind when the NCHC officials happen to visit from time to time

The dark lighting helps hide the puppet strings.

image.jpeg.a344361003d51a6d4cec416872a44899.jpeg

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

@spomer_hky does a nice Tweet yesterday with the DU hit on Senden in comparison with Moore's hit. 

His point: How is one a suspension and the other not. 

It really is up to Berry to pin down the league on why one is a suspension and the other isn’t, so he can have that in his holster for the future.  But we’re talking about a head of officials that looks past Paukovich’s blow that caused Robbie Bina’s neck injury. Who knows, Adam might let the truth slip out and say, “because one plays for Denver and the other for UND.”

12 minutes ago, tnt said:

It really is up to Berry to pin down the league on why one is a suspension and the other isn’t, ... 

The inquiry should come on UND Athletic Department letterhead signed by the AD and co-signed by Berry. 

"Uncle Andy's" initials by the AD's signature, as an acknowledgement by 300 Twamley that the letter was sent, would be a nice touch.