SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ SDSU (Beat the bunnies)

siouxfan512

6 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Screenshot_20211121-070443_Chrome.thumb.jpg.396350a18a9bfdbaeb07fedde9b7f0b5.jpg

After the NDSU call, and burning a TO coming out of half time, and not managing a late eleven point lead, and not having a second FG kicker available, is that Bubba’s admission that he has mismanaged the game during every conference loss this season? Or is it his retirement resignation speech? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

Feeney should be starter soon. One thing few understand is the job this staff did to maximize Schuster’s strengths and minimize his weaknesses. 

If Feeney beats out Tommy, that means we'll have a rock solid 1-2 in that position.  If he doesn't, I'm more than happy to see Tommy playing the next 2-3 years.  Curious about what people think Feeney will do better than Tommy?  Take less sacks?  Higher completion percentage?  Make longer throws to our receivers who can't separate?  Make better reads?  Be more mobile?  I'm not sure I see Feeney being better in any of these areas, but I don't know he won't be better either.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Sioux95 said:

Make longer throws to our receivers who can't separate?  Make better reads?  Be more mobile?  

Are we not completing deep passes because receivers can’t separate or because Schuster can’t get it there? Probably a combination of both. UND has some receivers that can run:  Belquist, Boltmann, Wright, Cochran. New recruit coming in from Missouri fits that category. 

Feeney is better athlete and has stronger arm, so that should answer your question. The major thing holding him back to start over Schuster is decision-making; we haven’t seen Feeney in a live 4 quarter DI game, so hard to know until live bullets are flying.  

14 minutes ago, Sioux95 said:

If Feeney beats out Tommy, that means we'll have a rock solid 1-2 in that position.  If he doesn't, I'm more than happy to see Tommy playing the next 2-3 years.  Curious about what people think Feeney will do better than Tommy?  Take less sacks?  Higher completion percentage?  Make longer throws to our receivers who can't separate?  Make better reads?  Be more mobile?  I'm not sure I see Feeney being better in any of these areas, but I don't know he won't be better either.  

If your analysis is correct, the staff needs to completely change how it evaluates QB potential.

I love reading fan forums cause it’s hilarious how many football experts are on here cause of their extensive High School experience and the passion they have.  “We cannot be ok with losing”?  Spoken like a true PS4 Madden basement player. 

Nobody is ok with losing. Nobody. But how about some perspective. We did quite well yesterday considering we were playing without a huge chunk of our defense and held down a very good offense. Some on here said they feel like this was one of Tommy’s best games. I agree. Hey played well enough to win. 

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Are we not completing deep passes because receivers can’t separate or because Schuster can’t get it there? Probably a combination of both. UND has some receivers that can run:  Belquist, Boltmann, Wright, Cochran. New recruit coming in from Missouri fits that category. 

Feeney is better athlete and has stronger arm, so that should answer you question. The major thing holding him back to start over Schuster is decision-making; we haven’t seen Feeney in a entire live 4 quarter DI game, so hard to know until live bullets are flying.  

Word I have is they really like Feeney, but he is a rail and they don’t want him to get killed so they want him to put on some weight.  

If the O-line can mature and get better by next year,  it’s a big difference in How much this offense opens up. When you have no time you can’t be as deceptive as you want to be. It narrows the play-calling flexibility. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Sioux95 said:

If we call a timeout and then throw the interception, we would all be talking about how we had the momentum, SD just pulled their sack monster off the field,and Bubba made the worst decision ever.  Nothing like hindsight to make us all feel a little smarter.

THIS.  Speaking of stupid decisions, some people want to replace the coach even though the program doesn't have the money to attract a guy that has any winning HC experience at this level...  Going forward, I'd prefer to not literally gamble on the trajectory of the program.  Bubba is taking a pay cut to help with assistant pay - no doubt quality candidates will be banging down the door for that opportunity!  Not wanting to overhaul the program after dominating a playoff game and winning a share of the conference title a few months ago, because we lost close games on the road to some of the best teams in the country this fall does not mean that I have low expectations.  The program is continuing to trend the right direction in terms of team talent, expectations, and depth, and the coaches are building the program the right way.  If this is a down year, I fail to see how the coaching staff has reached it's potential.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I strongly disagree with this. Would love to see the team play a couple more weeks - who knows what could happen?
Can’t afford to start over from scratch? What does that even mean? This team under the current leadership is having losing seasons and missing the playoffs. How much worse can it get? 

Having new leadership, new ideas, new approach to winning football games and growing UND football is certainly worth it if you can get the right guy. 

Being scared of upgrade should not be what holds this program back, but it will based on this kind of ridiculous sentiment.

of course, biggest obstacle is finances. As I said in earlier post, UND continues to be hockey, hockey, hockey and this will always make it difficult on non-hockey sports in the DI era. 

:silly:

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

After the NDSU call, and burning a TO coming out of half time, and not managing a late eleven point lead, and not having a second FG kicker available, is that Bubba’s admission that he has mismanaged the game during every conference loss this season? Or is it his retirement resignation speech? 

Got all the answers again.  Maybe we should start talking about his family again?

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Feeney is better athlete and has stronger arm, so that should answer your question. The major thing holding him back to start over Schuster is decision-making; we haven’t seen Feeney in a live 4 quarter DI game, so hard to know until live bullets are flying.  

Non of those guys you listed can straight up run by a guy. They are good route runners but not burners at all.

45 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Don’t want to go through the whole thread. Did Bubba get any credit on here when went for it on 4th and 1 from own 34 on drive that tied game at 21?

That was well done.
On what should have been the winning drive the error was admitted and acknowledged. 

2 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Don’t want to go through the whole thread. Did Bubba get any credit on here when went for it on 4th and 1 from own 34 on drive that tied game at 21?

I don't know either, but you know we would hear about it if they didn't convert, with the obvious benefit of hindsight.