SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ SDSU (Beat the bunnies)

siouxfan512

6 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Yep.  Bubba and the staff has done many great things, but we are chasing the greatest dynasty in the history of college football and we will NEVER have a good enough roster to compensate for the continuous game management/ clock management mistakes.  

I went back through the MSU game, someone tell me where I am wrong.  40 second play clock in college football correct?  We run the "dipsy doodle" reverse pass play on 4th and 2 at the MSU 29 with a 28-17 lead and MSU takes over with 6:36 to go. They score 6 plays and 2:03 later to make it 28-24 UND.

UND takes over with 4:33 to go.  Here is what transpires:

North Dakota 28-25 Missouri St.
North Dakota at 04:33
North Dakota at 04:33
1st and 10 at UND25 NORTH DAKOTA drive start at 04:33.
1st and 10 at UND25 Weah, Otis rush over left end for 34 yards to the MSU41, 1ST DOWN UND (Braswell,Montra).
1st and 10 at MSU41 Weah, Otis rush up middle for 4 yards to the MSU37 (Stewart,Jaylen).
2nd and 6 at MSU37 Smith, Isaiah rush over right end for 4 yards to the MSU33 (Joe,Lemondre).
3rd and 2 at MSU33 Weah, Otis rush up middle for 1 yard to the MSU32 (Manuleleua,Ferr;McDonald,Kyriq).
4th and 1 at MSU32 Vaughn, Quincy rush up middle for 5 yards to the MSU27, 1ST DOWN UND (Williams,Jalen;Goree,Devin).
1st and 10 at MSU27 Weah, Otis rush up middle for 4 yards to the MSU23 (Johnson,Eric;Ellis,Kevin).
2nd and 6 at MSU23 Timeout Missouri St., clock 01:49.
2nd and 6 at MSU23 Weah, Otis rush over right end for loss of 2 yards to the MSU25, fumble forced by Young,Von, fumble by Weah, Otis recovered by MSU Johnson,Eric at MSU24.

At even 35 seconds per play shouldn't the clock have been under a minute to go when Otis fumbled?

Their game winning drive took 8 plays and 1:24.  What am I missing here?

The 4th and 1 play I believe we snapped the ball with about 20 seconds left on the playclock.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

There were 6 plays run but the clock only ran after 5 of them.  A timeout was used after play number 6.  
Let’s say each play takes 5 seconds and you snap the ball on average with 3 seconds on the play clock.  The six plays should then take (5+37)*5+5=215 seconds or 3:35 
If we started with 4:33 on the clock it should now be at 0:58. 

So the fumble by Otis took 10 seconds, all things being equal, MSU would have gotten the ball with :49 seconds left in the game at their own 24.  Their game winning drive took 1:24.

25 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

There were 6 plays run but the clock only ran after 5 of them.  A timeout was used after play number 6.  
Let’s say each play takes 5 seconds and you snap the ball on average with 3 seconds on the play clock.  The six plays should then take (5+37)*5+5=215 seconds or 3:35 
If we started with 4:33 on the clock it should now be at 0:58. 

Since UND had two first downs that may add a few seconds to the theoretical clock.   The clock stops after a first down until the chains are set but I assume the 40 second play clock does not.   So you may need add 6-10 second back for each first down. That would put the clock at 1:10-1:18. 

9 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

Since UND had two first downs that may add a few seconds to the theoretical clock.   The clock stops after a first down until the chains are set but I assume the 40 second play clock does not.   So you may need add 6-10 second back for each first down. That would put the clock at 1:10-1:18. 

Play clock does not start 'til the time clock begins.  it fairly easily should have been :58 seconds before the play where Otis fumbled.  I wonder if the staff even knows this?  Of course its possible that MSU goes the 76 yards in 48 seconds, just a lot less likely than 1:39.

22 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Bubba and co have got to get all this figured out.

Agreed - but this is Bubba's 12 year as a head coach and God knows how many as an assistant at the College level.  He showed absolutely no signs of figuring this out during the season when it cost us greatly.  This shouldn't be rocket science.  What is it going to take to wake him up?

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Irish said:

Agreed - but this is Bubba's 12 year as a head coach and God knows how many as an assistant at the College level.  He showed absolutely no signs of figuring this out during the season when it cost us greatly.  This shouldn't be rocket science.  What is it going to take to wake him up?

I’m really torn on all of this.  He has done a really good job on many levels, but game management is not one of them .  These “details” are the difference between 10-1 and 5-6 this fall.    

At this point I’m afraid Bubba will be ~ 500 the next couple seasons and then we will need to start over again.  it feels like this was the season to really get over the hump and we pissed it down our leg.  The entire program and University was  on the verge of greatness vs NDSU and Bubba froze on the 4th and 1 call.  I still can’t believe he didn’t call a TO when NDSU didn’t take their DL off the field.  That’s just pathetic.

I said this earlier but the success of the spring now feels like it was a mirage.  The D will very likely be down a bit next year from this season and and the offense won’t be able to pickup the slack . And we will still have a handful of games where the game management is at a middle school level.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Play clock does not start 'til the time clock begins.  it fairly easily should have been :58 seconds before the play where Otis fumbled.  I wonder if the staff even knows this?  Of course its possible that MSU goes the 76 yards in 48 seconds, just a lot less likely than 1:39.

Play clock starts immediately after the dead ball.  Game clock starts once the chains are set.  

14 hours ago, Irish said:

Based on your summary, Bubba is likely not going to wake up and UND will continue to flutter around .500 with the occasional 7-4 playoff season which gets our hopes up.

16 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Ventrelli and Kilty are rock solid. I would guess Kilty slides to LT next season. We need to find 2 guards and a center. 

Under your assumption of Donny V and Kilty as the tackles, how would they configure if the blind side is on ... the right. Would Ventrelli stay at RT?