SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ SDSU (Beat the bunnies)

siouxfan512

8 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Why?  Explain why they couldn't just run a play there?  They certainly weren't rushed.

Almost half the 90 seconds had expired on the sack.  They had 51 seconds when Tommy snapped the ball on 2nd and 18 from the 31.  That is terrible clock/game management.  
Like I said earlier in the 39 seconds wasted on the sack, the clock went form no problem to a huge problem and it was obvious that Tommy felt that too.

28 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

We had the ball 1st and 10 at the 23 yard line with 90 seconds left.  Tommy forced a bad throw on second and 18 after the sack with 51 seconds to go.  

Hard to argue with you when you are this rational.  It was a fun game though.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Went form 1st and 10 at the 23 with 1:30 to go, to 2nd and 18 from the 31 with 51 seconds to go.  

Once again, why would this be bad?  They are already on the 31 yard line going in.  Do you want to leave 30 secs for SDSU? 

They had plenty of time and were in no hurry with 2 timeouts left.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Once again, why would this be bad?  They are already on the 31 yard line going in.  Do you want to leave 30 secs for SDSU? 

They had plenty of time and were in no hurry with 2 timeouts left.  

How were we going to leave SDSU a bunch of time?  Did we think Tommy was going to throw a 31 yard TD pass on 2nd and 18 after the sack?  That would have been by far our longest play all day.  We let almost half the time expire on the sack.  That is inexcusable.  IF Tommy completes that pass we have 3rd and short around the 13 or a first down around the 12, with around 45 seconds to go.

2 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

How were we going to leave SDSU a bunch of time?  Did we think Tommy was going to throw a 31 yard TD pass on 2nd and 18 after the sack?  That would have been by far our longest play all day.  We let almost half the time expire on the sack.  That is inexcusable.  IF Tommy completes that pass we have 3rd and short around the 13 or a first down around the 12, with around 45 seconds to go.

Right.  What am I missing?  That is about perfect in that situation. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

Right.  What am I missing?  That is about perfect in that situation. 

So was the sack planned?  The staff wanted to run down the clock?  Is this a real comment?  Tommy obviously felt the time pressure and forced a bad throw and we lost the game.  Not sure what is perfect about that.

If we call a TO after the sack, we can regroup, call the play and talk about the next play based on down and distance.

3 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

So was the sack planned?  The staff wanted to run down the clock?  Is this a real comment?  Tommy obviously felt the time pressure and forced a bad throw and we lost the game.  Not sure what is perfect about that.

If we call a TO after the sack, we can regroup, call the play and talk about the next play based on down and distance.

Plot twist: he wasn't pressured and chose to throw to an open receiver but led him too much. Watch the replay, Rockne.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Plot twist: he wasn't pressured and chose to throw to an open receiver but led him too much. Watch the replay, Rockne.

I’ve watched it several times, I still can’t get past we let almost half the time left expire on one play.

Tommy forced the throw because he felt the time pressure.  Everyone felt the time pressure, including the announcers.  

The time management over the last 1:30 is just stunning.   

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I’ve watched it several times, I still can’t get past we let almost half the time left expire on one play.

Tommy forced the throw because he felt the time pressure.  Everyone felt the time pressure, including the announcers.  

The time management over the last 1:30 is just stunning.   

You try just a little too hard to rag on this team.

• Upvote 3

Ya’ll happy with a 5-6 season? To be upset with a 6 loss season in 2021 does not imply you don’t want team to be better in 2022.

with a 24 team playoff field, no reason UND football shouldn’t be a playoff participant every single season. 

reminds me of 2016-2017 seasons. Und won big sky conference in 2016, then missed playoffs in 2017. Und won conference in spring 2021 but now missed playoffs in fall 2021. Bubba as leader of und football program can’t maintain success and propagate consistency 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Ya’ll happy with a 5-6 season? To be upset with a 6 loss season in 2021 does not imply you don’t want team to be better in 2022.

with a 24 team playoff field, no reason UND football shouldn’t be a playoff participant every single season. 

reminds me of 2016-2017 seasons. Und won big sky conference in 2016, then missed playoffs in 2017. Und won conference in spring 2021 but now missed playoffs in fall 2021. Bubba as leader of und football program can’t maintain success and propagate consistency 

We don't have anywhere near the expectations you have for the program.  You are a winner.  

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

It was a big deal. It was a perfect moment to calm everyone down and get a clear plan to win the game. 

OK.  One must also realize he just took a timeout right before that on 3rd and 3 iirc. It really wasn't that big of a deal to get sacked and NEED to take a timeout because of it.  There was a minute left in the game.  The play was a good call, Tommy chose the wrong receiver (Richter was open though) but he led him too much.  

5 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

OK.  One must also realize he just took a timeout right before that on 3rd and 3 iirc. It really wasn't that big of a deal to get sacked and NEED to take a timeout because of it.  There was a minute left in the game.  The play was a good call, Tommy chose the wrong receiver (Richter was open though) but he led him too much.  

Bubba took a timeout before the first play of the second half in a game. Literally can’t get worse than that. I think it’s pretty easy to understand a coach using a bunch of timeouts in the last min of the game to keep things under control and trending positively.