SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ ISU

AJS

Two-Deep and game notes should be out today. 

To me this game will answer a very simple question. Is UND a true Top 10 team? If they are, they win this game. Idaho State should be an average FCS team, maybe slightly above average. @siouxfan512 posted a pretty informative article from a Nevada publication (who ISU plays Week 2), that gave a pretty solid breakdown of what to expect. The highlights being a good passing attack, below average rushing attack, overall a pretty average defense. They really struggled getting pressure on the QB this past spring. I do know they were young and return almost everybody, which will be a theme for almost every team this Fall. 

I'm in the boat that UND has fully turned the corner as a program. I think UND has a chance to be really good defensively. Offensively, they have so many weapons. Almost, as important, I have so much faith that Danny / Joe will be able to get the O-line up and running out of the gate.

Notes:

• Izzo reported that both Belquist and Boltmann are scheduled to play this week. If fully healthy (which I'd imagine they would be if they play), what a difference that makes.
  • Will be interesting to see what kind of injuries were sustained during Fall camp. 

I'm buying into this game can't make the season, but it can break it. Must win.

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Pretty confident message board. Every teams fan base should be confident going into week 1 though. 

Yeah the do but they've had our number, so I can see why some on their board might be confident.  And yeah, this time of the year everybody has high hopes......great time of year.  I think the game will be close, but would be nice to beat them convincingly this Saturday and then when we play them at home next time.  

23 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

One poster is offended that we call them an "average FCS program".  Uh, what do you think ISU is?  As far as an overall program goes "average" is probably being kind.

Exactly! Regardless of their recent success against us, I don’t know how they can argue that. 

Quick 2 Deep thoughts / concerns / questions, things I'm keeping an eye on.

• Belquist / Boltmann listed as back ups. We'll see if I'm reading too much into that. Will they play as the would regularly (not coming off injuries)?
  • Pierre as backup NG. Undersized, potentially running into the same problem as Spring with size of NG. How much will Beach play on Saturday?
  • Fort. Going from 2 Deep as a CB to Off it as a Safety. Will watch how that situation progresses.

For those three bullets, it also says something about the depth this team has. That there are really good players that are not on the 2-Deep. 

It will be interesting to see how Canady, Boltmann, Belquist look. 

5 minutes ago, ND1 said:

Sammy fort not on the 2 deep?

3 minutes ago, TBR said:

Wondering about that too. Is he injured? He has put in some solid performances for us.

I commented on that as well. I would think it's as simple as Canady was not on the original Fall 2-Deep coming off injury. If he's back, clearly he's starting. Then it comes down to Galvin (3 Year Starter), Kauppinen (Starter when Canady was out), Coley (2-Deep all Spring), all having experience over Fort (to my knowledge never played Safety at the college level). I'm sure he'll play. A position where the 2-Deep could be fluid during the year.

3 minutes ago, AJS said:

I commented on that as well. I would think it's as simple as Canady was not on the original Fall 2-Deep coming off injury. If he's back, clearly he's starting. Then it comes down to Galvin (3 Year Starter), Kauppinen (Starter when Canady was out), Coley (2-Deep all Spring), all having experience over Fort (to my knowledge never played Safety at the college level). I'm sure he'll play. A position where the 2-Deep could be fluid during the year.

There's a lot to learn at safety so I am not surprised Fort isn't in the two deep yet. He will be eventually though.

24 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Fort did switch positions. He likely still learning the new responsibilities at this point. Would be nice to see him progress into a prominent role this season

He is too good of an athlete and too good of corner to move from CB and not have on the field at a different position.  I think he works his way on there and becomes a really good player.