SiouxSports.com Forum

Your 2021-2022 Minnesota Vikings.

Wilbur

Vikings seem to be down to 4 coaching candidates. Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh, Rams OC Kevin O'Connell, Rams DC Raheem Morris, and Giants DC Patrick Graham. 

Disappointing to see DeMeco Ryans pull out of the race tonight as he had become my top guy after seeing Daboll and Hackett head elsewhere, I also would have liked Kellen Moore and thought they should have interviewed Brian Flores.

At this point I'm hoping it is Harbaugh and I'd probably have O'Connell 2nd with Morris right there with him and Graham a very distant 4th. I don't really get the Graham interest at all and would be pretty disappointed if he is the guy.

9 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Man this search has really gone south quickly in my mind. Had two great options in Ryans and Harbaugh and now we have neither. Guess at this point I'd roll the dice on the offensive guy O'Connell but I'm not in love with any of these final 3 guys.

The Wilfs are idiots for tanking this. I suppose they'll want to bring back their "triangle of authority" too. :angry:

The Vikings never offered Harbaugh the job.  Who knows if he was their #1 guy.  Rumor had it he wanted a Gruden type deal.  Wilf's probably turned off by that.  Or maybe Kwesi decided that he wasn't the guy to take the Vikings into the new style of play in the NFL.  The NFL has maybe moved on from coaching styles of Harbaugh, Zimmer, and a lot of other guys.  Glad they are going with a young coach that can take this team to the new way the NFL is moving towards.  O'Connell isn't a guarantee to be successful, but I am definitely glad they went with him over Harbaugh.

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Vikes extend Cousins for a year to create roughly 15 million in cap space.

Tom Brady no longer retired.

Way to bury the lead, lol.

Can tell that many aren't happy about Cousins, but here is my take:

2022 draft QB class is not that great, other options aren't available and no one was going to trade for him.  However, can't give him the long term extension either.  Thus a 1 year extension to clear cap space.  Enough to give the new braintrust to see what they have and then can go from there next year with a better QB draft class if it all falls apart. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Vikes extend Cousins for a year to create roughly 15 million in cap space.

Tom Brady no longer retired.

As somebody who doesn't follow the financial side of sports, can somebody explain to me how a $35 million contract (all guaranteed) actually frees up cap space?  

25 minutes ago, BigGreyAnt41 said:

As somebody who doesn't follow the financial side of sports, can somebody explain to me how a $35 million contract (all guaranteed) actually frees up cap space?  

I don’t know the exact logistics, but teams are able to use signing bonuses and add voidable years to the end of a contract to kick the can down the road per-say.  

• Upvote 1

On 2/3/2022 at 11:25 AM, nodakvindy said:

How can they not at least interview Eric Bieniemy?  Baffling.

I thought the same thing but after doing a little research, Mr. Bieniemy has a very sordid past that includes run ins with the law and some other not so savory transgressions.  I can see now why teams have passed on him.