SiouxSports.com Forum

Your 2021-2022 Minnesota Vikings.

Wilbur

I’m confused as to why the Vikings are going to start Cousins against the Bears.  Let one of the backups get some playing time as a loss will give them a better slot in the draft.  Also, why risk an injury to Cousins when the game is meaningless ?  An injury might impact next years team if you are planning to keep him.  If you want to explore trade options, again playing him is nonsensical.   There is absolutely no upside to him playing, only downside. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, rochsioux said:

I’m confused as to why the Vikings are going to start Cousins against the Bears.  Let one of the backups get some playing time as a loss will give them a better slot in the draft.  Also, why risk an injury to Cousins when the game is meaningless ?  An injury might impact next years team if you are planning to keep him.  If you want to explore trade options, again playing him is nonsensical.   There is absolutely no upside to him playing, only downside. 

Yes, but it’s the Vikings.

1 hour ago, rochsioux said:

I guess they want to win the game.  We saw what the backups could do last week.

Are you suggesting that the Vikings sit as many starters as possible?  All of your points (better off losing, injury could hurt next year's value) would apply equally to any of the starters I would imagine.

4 hours ago, rochsioux said:

It is because Zimmer is still coaching and he likely knows he is gone after tomorrow anyway so what does he care how it sets up for the next guy. If ownership was smarter they would have made the call on Zimmer a few weeks ago and told whoever they gave the interim title to they were to look at young guys the rest of the way and give them opportunities. 

A Denver win today would've been nice for draft positioning. A loss really would beneficial as I think the Vikes can be anywhere from like 9-16 in the draft with a big logjam of teams together right now. Here is hoping the players have seen all the reports that Zim is gone and they show up tomorrow with one foot out the door already giving a terrible effort.

2 hours ago, Fighting Sioux 23 said:

I guess they want to win the game.  We saw what the backups could do last week.

Are you suggesting that the Vikings sit as many starters as possible?  All of your points (better off losing, injury could hurt next year's value) would apply equally to any of the starters I would imagine.

I would definitely sit some of the skilled guys.  Really no use in playing Cook, especially given his injury history.  Wouldn’t play Jefferson either.  Totally meaningless game, much less meaningful than the last exhibition game where they tend to bench most of the starters.  At least in the exhibition you could be trying to work out all the kinks before the season starts so you don’t lay of big egg in the opener.  

8 minutes ago, Fighting Sioux 23 said:

Looking like the win will cost the Vikings two spots in the draft.  If current results hold (Dolphins and Saints winning) Vikings will draft 12th.  A loss would have had them in the 10 spot.  

Not that big of a difference.  

Any nasty O-Line going to around that spot potentially?

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Any nasty O-Line going to around that spot potentially?

Vikings have a ton of needs and it feels weird to say this but I don't think OL is near the top right now. Definitely need a RG and could use an upgrade at C but the rest of the line is pretty set. Meanwhile you will have starting spots open at S, CB, Nickel, 2 LBs, DT, and DE although I think a few of those will have to be filled by guys just moving up the depth chart and getting an opportunity because of the Vikes cap situation. Like DT and DE I could see giving Watts and Wilekes an opportunity as they've been solid in limited time. Have to think this roster is gonna look drastically different.

Well the season is officially over for the Vikings. Any ideas of who you think if Zimmer does get fired, who would be the coach that they hire. My idea is it could be Doug Peterson or Eric Bieniemy, what do others think?

1 minute ago, crb1 said:

Well the season is officially over for the Vikings. Any ideas of who you think if Zimmer does get fired, who would be the coach that they hire. My idea is it could be Doug Peterson or Eric Bieniemy, what do others think?

Definitely feel like we should bring an offensive minded coach. Kellen Moore would be at the top of my wishlist right now.

4 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Vikings have a ton of needs and it feels weird to say this but I don't think OL is near the top right now. Definitely need a RG and could use an upgrade at C but the rest of the line is pretty set. Meanwhile you will have starting spots open at S, CB, Nickel, 2 LBs, DT, and DE although I think a few of those will have to be filled by guys just moving up the depth chart and getting an opportunity because of the Vikes cap situation. Like DT and DE I could see giving Watts and Wilekes an opportunity as they've been solid in limited time. Have to think this roster is gonna look drastically different.

I agree with that this roster is going to look really different next year.

However... they need to answer the $45 million dollar question.

First off, lets see what happens tomorrow to Zim and Rick. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Vikings hiring Kwesi Adolfo-Mensah. Hell yeah!

OK, let see Vikings want to complete 2nd interview with Poles and Mensah.  Chicago jumps in line and signs Poles.  The Viking say OK, I guess we will hire Mensah - no 2nd interview required.  So, the Vikes just handed the job to a guy with the following:

1)  Commodities trader.

2)  Sports background - Basketball

3)  Ivy League and Stanford education - can it get any worse.

4)  8 years NFL front office experience.  He is going to pack the front office with Ivy League personal.

What could go wrong with this - sounds like a great plan.  Hope it works out.