SiouxSports.com Forum

Olympics 2020 (2021)

LuvHockey

58 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

You win Dr. Phil.

I'm just not going to criticize her for making the choice that actually got her team on the podium.
I guess you can call her a quitter if you want, but don't pretend that making that choice didn't put them in a better position to compete given what level of performance she was showing.

• Upvote 1

I'm torn. Good for Simone for knowing her own mental limits. But its a poor look to withdraw from the team competition after starting it then stating you still intend to compete in the individual competitions in two days.  She's been off since at least the Olympic trials making mistakes she does not normally make. Yes, she's the best gymnast in the world and she's under immense pressure but at the same time maybe you shouldn't have been wearing a leotard and flip flops with a goat on them if you didn't want the additional media attention and pressure. Saying she's got a lot going on in her life, mind, and body is an understatement and I will be interested to see if she actually competes on Thursday. 

• Upvote 2

NBC commentator just said this about Team USA......"There's no quit in this team" as the panned to Simone in her warm-up suit. Can't make this up. Our whole family busted out laughing.

<obviously typed delayed>

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, WiSioux said:

I'm torn. Good for Simone for knowing her own mental limits. But its a poor look to withdraw from the team competition after starting it then stating you still intend to compete in the individual competitions in two days.  She's been off since at least the Olympic trials making mistakes she does not normally make. Yes, she's the best gymnast in the world and she's under immense pressure but at the same time maybe you shouldn't have been wearing a leotard and flip flops with a goat on them if you didn't want the additional media attention and pressure. Saying she's got a lot going on in her life, mind, and body is an understatement and I will be interested to see if she actually competes on Thursday. 

Well said.  

I hope she comes back (99 percent sure she does).  

If she comes back and wins gold in the all around the media will call it a miraculous comeback from a mental health issue.  How on earth is there any pressure on her going forward?  She has a built in excuse of not being 100%, so she can put it all out there and if she fails to win gold she at least gave it a go.

I just can't see the self proclaimed goat not giving it a go.  I read she's currently worth 6 mill +.  More cash her way (rightly so) if she's all around champ again. 

7 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Counter point......she quit on her teammates. Tough put lipstick on that pig.  Injury is a different story. Bailing because you're "stressed" should get her the first flight home.

Totally agree - this should end the GOAT talk about her.  Imagine Jordan, Gretzky, or Brady bailing on the big game because they were too stressed.  

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Irish said:

Totally agree - this should end the GOAT talk about her.  Imagine Jordan, Gretzky, or Brady bailing on the big game because they were too stressed.  

If those guys are not 100% there mentally they don’t have the same risks as a gymnast, especially a gymnast that has the most difficult routines in history. One little mess up and she could get a very serious injury. That focus is huge …..

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

Simone just withdrew from the individual all around event and will not defend her title.  Still evaluating her for next week's individual events finals.

I'll eat crow.  Thought she'd partake.  Hoping she is able to get over the demons.  Sad. 

49 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

"Simone, Kerri Strug on line one for you." 

Simone Biles, she, she's not a hockey player. 

It eliminated any chance she had at the indivdual all-around and event finals and effectively ended her career with a vault which ended up not mattering despite her coach insisting to her that the team needed it. He then handed her off to Larry Nassar afterwards. I also don't think she could have had a replacement step in for her like Biles did since she had already taken her first vault.

She did what she was told she needed to and it was an amazing feat to land that vault with the injury she had, but looking back doesn't give the same warm fuzzies it did 25 years ago.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sioux&gt;Bison said:

If those guys are not 100% there mentally they don’t have the same risks as a gymnast, especially a gymnast that has the most difficult routines in history. One little mess up and she could get a very serious injury. That focus is huge …..

Brady for sure has the risk of serious injury from a bad decision made instantly.  I'd be less harsh in my judgement if she didn't proclaim herself the GOAT and strut around with a sequined GOAT on her leotard.  That kind of arrogance requires an athlete to step up not fold.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Shawn-O said:

Can the U.S catch China for most golds, i.e. can the U.S catch China for 1st in the medal standings in the way the rest of the world views it?   

US is 5 behind China in gold medals.  US plays for the gold in women's water polo, baseball, men's basketball, and women's basketball.  Not sure about other sports.  So gonna be close.

11 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

US is 5 behind China in gold medals.  US plays for the gold in women's water polo, baseball, men's basketball, and women's basketball.  Not sure about other sports.  So gonna be close.

I think maybe another wrestler as well. But I doubt we catch them in golds. Track normally helps us in comparison to China, but not as much this year. China wins so many on small racquet sports, all the diving disciplines, and other events we don't truly pay attention to or participate in. Granted swimming is huge for us. And we are way better at team events.

57 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I think maybe another wrestler as well. But I doubt we catch them in golds. Track normally helps us in comparison to China, but not as much this year. China wins so many on small racquet sports, all the diving disciplines, and other events we don't truly pay attention to or participate in. Granted swimming is huge for us. And we are way better at team events.

Forgot about women's golf that US just won. And we won mens basketball, so maybe there is a chance to catch China for gold.