SiouxSports.com Forum

Olympics 2020 (2021)

LuvHockey

56 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Next they head to France in 2024.  And of course baseball is off the docket now because who thinks of baseball when you think of summer sports?  Bye to softball and Karate too.  

Breakdancing.....yes.....breakdancing....will be contested in Paris.

https://sportsshow.net/top-10-most-popular-sports-in-the-world/

Baseball is one of the 10 most popular sports in the world. It's ridiculous to not have it in the Olympics.

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Next they head to France in 2024.  And of course baseball is off the docket now because who thinks of baseball when you think of summer sports?  Bye to softball and Karate too.  

Oh for #$*@ sake. Is it LA in 28? Then I bet baseball and softball back as I think each host site gets to add a sport or two. Hopefully they saw how competitive it has become. I doubt it's one of the more popular sports in the world though. It's more regional North and Central America and Asia. I also could see flag football instead of tackling, but again I think it's far too localized.

On 8/8/2021 at 6:59 AM, Wilbur said:

Team Breakdancing?
Synchronized Breakdancing? 
Doubles Breakdancing?
Mixed Doubles Breakdancing? 

And can we get a "Street Biathlon" of breakdancing and skateboarding where the boarders pop a hop over a breaker in mid ground spin. 

(Reference "South Park" Season 8, Episode 4 here.) 

7 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Team Breakdancing?
Synchronized Breakdancing? 
Doubles Breakdancing?
Mixed Doubles Breakdancing? 

And can we get a "Street Biathlon" of breakdancing and skateboarding where the boarders pop a hop over a breaker in mid ground spin. 

(Reference "South Park" Season 8, Episode 4 here.) 

In LA......mixed pairs homicide shooting??

17 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

Adding cricket would help them.  Based on popularity it probably should be added.  On the table for LA28.   

Indeed.   If the IOC wants to bring India (and that region) into the Games, it should add cricket.  (Which is the most popular sport on the globe that's not part of the Olympic program.)

Now if they could invent a form of cricket match that could be played in 60 minutes ...  it worked for Rugby.  Rugby 7's is an excellent spectator sport.

update:Cricket bids for LA 2028

On 8/8/2021 at 9:35 AM, cberkas said:

Their reason to get rid of it the first time was because it was dominated by a couple teams.

Yup.  Which pisses me off because what diving event does China not kill everyone at?

I'm surprised they've kept basketball because thats been more dominated by the USA than softball or baseball.

6 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Yup.  Which pisses me off because what diving event does China not kill everyone at?

I'm surprised they've kept basketball because thats been more dominated by the USA than softball or baseball.

Woman's hockey is pretty much Canada/US for gold year in year out and its never close

6 hours ago, cberkas said:

Woman's hockey is pretty much Canada/US for gold year in year out and its never close

Agreed.  Baseball presents a number of smaller nations like Cuba, Dominican Republic, and Venezuela an opportunity to win a medal in a team sport.  It will never make sense to me. 

On 8/7/2021 at 12:52 PM, Smoggy said:

1. nope. Ratings=$$$. The pros make it way to much fun to watch and they are the best in the world. Love that the hockey players want to compete. 

2. Gonna get there soon or certainly won't be in such a centralized one city set up.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/nbc-tokyo-olympics-ratings-faceplanted

go woke go broke....

back to amateurs or it'll get worse....

18 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I'm sure it had nothing to do with NBC butchering coverage along with the 14 hour time difference. 

The commentary was just abysmal. Couple that with a social justice propaganda message at every and any moment just didnt play well.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, farce poobah said:

Indeed.   If the IOC wants to bring India (and that region) into the Games, it should add cricket.  (Which is the most popular sport on the globe that's not part of the Olympic program.)

Now if they could invent a form of cricket match that could be played in 60 minutes ...  it worked for Rugby.  Rugby 7's is an excellent spectator sport.

update:Cricket bids for LA 2028

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty20

Not quite an hour, more like three hours.  This format has exploded in India, I could see them going this route.   

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I'm sure it had nothing to do with NBC butchering coverage along with the 14 hour time difference. 

1.  when does nbc ever get anything right

2.  first time the olympics were held on the opposite side of the world...???

get real

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

1.  when does nbc ever get anything right

2.  first time the olympics were held on the opposite side of the world...???

get real

14 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

With USA, Peacock, CNBC, and NBCSN they had more distribution than ever.   

Things were on and there was plenty of distribution, but good luck trying to figure out what channel and/or what time anything was on. Their promotion of how/when to watch things was brutal.

As it relates to being on the other side of the world, results and even the highlights or the entire events themselves were available on social media well before NBC was able to show them in "prime time" in ways they have in the past. No more waiting around the TV at night to see how things happened. I have no doubt their TV ratings were down, but that's pretty much par for the course for sporting events these days.

5 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Things were on and there was plenty of distribution, but good luck trying to figure out what channel and/or what time anything was on. Their promotion of how/when to watch things was brutal.

As it relates to being on the other side of the world, results and even the highlights or the entire events themselves were available on social media well before NBC was able to show them in "prime time" in ways they have in the past. No more waiting around the TV at night to see how things happened. I have no doubt their TV ratings were down, but that's pretty much par for the course for sporting events these days.

are you 89 years old?

"hey doris....where'd you leave the tv guide...i wanna know when jeopardy is on"

5 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I had access to streaming, and found watching their live streams - usually coming from a global / international feed - to be very good.  Limited commercial interruptions, and LIVE sports.  Plus a true global perspective that doesn't dumb it down like NBC primetime does. 

* Several nations won their first medal, and others won their first gold.  The global commenters captured the historic significance of those very well. 

If I watched prime time coverage, it was for the same reason I might watch SportsCenter.   

(Not to turn this thread into another UND vs NDSU piffing match, but it would be nice if they got off their butts and sponsored women's wrestling.  Kudos to Minot State for being the first school in ND to do so.)

Also, any sport sounds cooler with an Aussie accent.  

On 8/10/2021 at 1:13 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/nbc-tokyo-olympics-ratings-faceplanted

go woke go broke....

back to amateurs or it'll get worse....

Your amateurs aren't the draw you think they are. Miracle on Ice was just that...a miracle they beat pros from Russia. NBC butchered being able to watch the pros play basketball, by putting online live and only having replays. Most people don't watch replays when they know the result.  Keep in mind that if hockey isn't pros it's the World Junior Tourney. Sure we like it, but have you seen those ratings???

Maybe you need to check all the sports ratings from the past year and a half. It isn't pretty and tv in general has gone way down the last 5 years.