SiouxSports.com Forum

Olympics 2020 (2021)

LuvHockey

Glad I stuck it out with Nelly Korda in the women's golf event.  There were times I wanted to flip over to basketball, but she came through down the stretch.  

I was having Amy Olsen nightmares from the major tournament she barely lost after her father-in-law passed.  Player from the Orient just went on a tear and birdied a bunch of holes in a row.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Forgot about women's golf that US just won. And we won mens basketball, so maybe there is a chance to catch China for gold.

Doesn’t really matter...the majority of the Olympic sports are irrelevant.

4 hours ago, Blackheart said:

You've broken the hearts of over 400 million American kids looking to make it big in synchronized diving and sprint canoeing.....

• Upvote 3

Looks like it will be a fun race to see who claims most golds. Both relays finally realized they could succeed. Womens water polo continued dominance. Baseball lost and apparently something with horses by super slim margin. So down 2 golds going to last day. I guess China has rythmics (???) and a boxing chance. We have two boxing chances and womens basketball and volleyball. Both also have some cycling and then there is mens marathon, but can't imagine either in that.

12 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Looks like it will be a fun race to see who claims most golds. Both relays finally realized they could succeed. Womens water polo continued dominance. Baseball lost and apparently something with horses by super slim margin. So down 2 golds going to last day. I guess China has rythmics (???) and a boxing chance. We have two boxing chances and womens basketball and volleyball. Both also have some cycling and then there is mens marathon, but can't imagine either in that.

How is there not at least 4 distances of coed synchronized diving left?  

#chinawasrobbed

10 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Absolutely. Cough...walking...cough...really? And that's been around longer than I thought. I'm a winter games kind of guy, but I've been laid up and have can't do anything other than watch tv so most I've ever watched. My takeaways:

-way too many events for most sports

-some go way too long (looking at you beach volleyball which took entire olympics)

-anything that requires a judge doing the scoring I am skeptical. Tho sounds like some reffing in wrestling suspect.

-karate just poses and gets judged??? (wish I knew difference on all those different fighting styles but don't care enough to look up)

-ROC. Don't understand why essentially no punishment for doping.

-NBC forcing olympics to be at this stupid hot humid time (I've been to Tokyo at this time. Awful)

-NBC coverage. Sure would be nice to watch live sports. 

+3x3 basketball (time for 3x3 hockey)

+Newer sports are fun/interesting like climbing and skateboarding but why no half pipe skateboarding?

+Mixed mens and womens teams. Track and swimming had relays. Ping pong doubles. It was fun. More of this stuff.

+US in team events. All but mens vb and water polo and womens soccer played for gold.

+Suni Lee stepping up for all around

+Gable Stevenson last second wrestling victory

+Baseball and softball back. 

+other womens countries have caught up to US in sports like soccer and softball

Probably missing stuff. Surprised we didn't do better at skateboarding, but until marijuana legal that'll be the case. Also if we played it I can see us dominating at handball, which is decent to watch. Other sports that should be added? Sounds like some esports may be.

17 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

How is there not at least 4 distances of coed synchronized diving left?  

#chinawasrobbed

Oof seems neverending. Also what happened to age lower limit stuff??? No way that Chinese gymnast was 16. Though skateboarding had 13 year olds winning.

Here's a few breakdowns on China:

Badminton 2 gold, 4 silver (really that many ways to play badminton???)

Diving 6 gold, 4 silver

Gymnastics 3, 3, 2 bronze

Shooting 4, 1, 6 (shouldn't we win all of these???) (Again why so many!?!)

Swimming 3, 2, 1

Table Tennis 4 g, 3 s (Again is it a different sized table each time?!?)

Trampoline 1 g, 2 s

Weightlifting 7!!! gold, 1 silver

Three sports of pure dominance. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Absolutely. Cough...walking...cough...really? And that's been around longer than I thought. I'm a winter games kind of guy, but I've been laid up and have can't do anything other than watch tv so most I've ever watched. My takeaways:

-some go way too long (looking at you beach volleyball which took entire olympics)

-anything that requires a judge doing the scoring I am skeptical. Tho sounds like some reffing in wrestling suspect.

-karate just poses and gets judged??? (wish I knew difference on all those different fighting styles but don't care enough to look up)

-NBC forcing olympics to be at this stupid hot humid time (I've been to Tokyo at this time. Awful)

+Newer sports are fun/interesting like climbing and skateboarding but why no half pipe skateboarding?

+Mixed mens and womens teams. Track and swimming had relays. Ping pong doubles. It was fun. More of this stuff.

+US in team events. All but mens vb and water polo and womens soccer played for gold.

Probably missing stuff. Surprised we didn't do better at skateboarding, but until marijuana legal that'll be the case. Also if we played it I can see us dominating at handball, which is decent to watch. Other sports that should be added? Sounds like some esports may be.

-cycling in a circle by themselves

+++cycling with 30 people on the track at once. Like roller derby

11 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

---Rhythmic. Ok just saw this "sport." Not even going to call this gymnastics. It's ballet. WTH???

2 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

two things for olympics going forward

1.  go back to amateurs....

2.  keep the olympics in one place with permanent facilities......athens for the summer games and take your pick for the winter venue (lillehammer?)

1. nope. Ratings=$$$. The pros make it way to much fun to watch and they are the best in the world. Love that the hockey players want to compete. 

2. Gonna get there soon or certainly won't be in such a centralized one city set up.

5 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

1. nope. Ratings=$$$. The pros make it way to much fun to watch and they are the best in the world. Love that the hockey players want to compete. 

2. Gonna get there soon or certainly won't be in such a centralized one city set up.

1.  have you seen the ratings???????

37 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

two things for olympics going forward

1.  go back to amateurs....

2.  keep the olympics in one place with permanent facilities......athens for the summer games and take your pick for the winter venue (lillehammer?)

Was sad that you had the absolute best players in the Japanese professional league playing against a bunch of AAA guys and former decent mlb players in the gold medal game.  

Japan actually paused their professional season so they could make a strong push at gold.  

On 7/25/2021 at 8:38 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

This team is built all wrong.  Coach K, Dean Smith, Bob Knight, and Chuck Daly couldn't coach this team to a gold

This is 2004 all over again. 

*Now watch them win the gold

Haha. Nailed it. Durant got in a groove and just dominated. 

Hope people tuned in to watch. A lot of @OldTakesExposed material out there for this one. 

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

Haha. Nailed it. Durant got in a groove and just dominated. 

Hope people tuned in to watch. A lot of @OldTakesExposed material out there for this one. 

I'm happy they figured it out, although watching last night against France was a little touch and go.  I though the French bigs would have worn the US down.  

I'll eat my crow happily, extra crispy please. 

4 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

While it sucked to not have fans, I have enjoyed seeing the watch parties.  The one from Alaska when Jacoby won the gold medal in swimming was a sight. 

+To her and her high school watching.

That seems so long ago. Yes some great swimming come from behinds. 

+Rugby sevens. Lots of fun to watch.

Next they head to France in 2024.  And of course baseball is off the docket now because who thinks of baseball when you think of summer sports?  Bye to softball and Karate too.  

Breakdancing.....yes.....breakdancing....will be contested in Paris.