SiouxSports.com Forum

NCHC Postseason Semi-UND vs. Denver part 7.

Wilbur

19 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

- 4 in the defensive zone needs more work. Give him the puck and one stride of open space he's fine. 

I want him on the ice when down a goal in the third.  He's gifted at pushing offense.  For now, I don't want him out there as much protecting a late lead. 

13 minutes ago, ND_Texan said:

Lost in all the post game discussion...how good was Weatherby’s feed to Hain from the corner? Right on the tape in stride between two DU defenders. And then the laser. 

Watch that replay -- as you say the 26 -> 14 -> 10 was superb; but, also note that 15 called for the puck right before 10 for it and 15 had coverage for a bad pass backed up at the blue line. Those are subtle little plays you don't normally notice until they aren't done correctly. 

9 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I don't understand why people think Denver should be in the tournament. Shouldn't you have to win games to make it? Their record is their record. We wouldn't even be having this conversation if not for the waiving of the Wisconsin rule.

I agree, but in the year of Covid, they haven't been able to show that they are better than half the teams that they will be up against.  If we are talking a normal year, I could see a team as strong as the NCHC getting 4 or 5 teams in.  If the committee is looking at it as the top 16 teams in the country, Denver should be in the conversation. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, ND_Texan said:

Lost in all the post game discussion...how good was Weatherby’s feed to Hain from the corner? Right on the tape in stride between two DU defenders. And then the laser. 

The pass was actually slowed down by a Denver stick, which probably made it easier for Hain to get all of it.

11 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Denver deserves to be in the tournament.  We all hate them, but they do. 

If Opieha gets in the show and Denver doesn’t, it would be because their AD is on the committee! Denver is the better team, they finished the season with the same number of wins as O, but had two fewer games, both against CC, that would have been one or two more wins for DU.

11 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

This type of game could be really helpful in a couple weeks.

Definitely not real sharp right away, didn't seem to have the legs going much at all, and pace of game wasn't great. Denver had a real defensive style and got away with a ton of holding throughout the game and we couldn't really establish the cycle game much the 1st half or so of the game. Battled through it and came out with a much better 3rd period and found a way to score a goal late in the game when you needed it. Then in OT came with a big push right away and despite a couple of bad d zone turnovers end up drawing a penalty and making a nice play for the game winner just after the penalty expires.

Scheel continues to play solid hockey. Came up with some big stops on the couple good chances DU had.

PP looked really solid tonight. Lots of chances and really solid entries and movement.

Say what you want about the refs not calling holding on DU, they did not call much on either team, they let them play and I thought it went both ways, the penalty in OT should have been 5, but calling a game in the playoffs/conference tourney is a little different than regular season. The refs did not determine the outcome. Denver played well with what they had for a lineup! 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Blackheart said:

You just know if there's any way he can get out on the ice he will be there.  Tape that shoulder back in place, I'm good to go Coach!

Anyone else hear that it’s a broken wrist? That’s the rumor I’m hearing.

44 minutes ago, tnt said:

I agree, but in the year of Covid, they haven't been able to show that they are better than half the teams that they will be up against.  If we are talking a normal year, I could see a team as strong as the NCHC getting 4 or 5 teams in.  If the committee is looking at it as the top 16 teams in the country, Denver should be in the conversation. 

In a normal year, you are probably looking at adding 8 games and 5-6 wins to most of the NCHC teams.

46 minutes ago, BrandonH61 said:

That's what I was thinking too when I saw the replay. Usually 6-8 weeks of recovery, I don't know if he wants to push it, but depending on how severe, he could be back in three weeks for the Frozen Four. 

31 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

That's what I was thinking too when I saw the replay. Usually 6-8 weeks of recovery, I don't know if he wants to push it, but depending on how severe, he could be back in three weeks for the Frozen Four. 

Hopefully false information. I don’t like spreading rumors but was hopeful some of the insiders here could follow up on it.

3 hours ago, BrandonH61 said:

Thinking back to the CBSSN shot from the corner where he made the hit and and how he was holding that arm as he immediately went off I thought "shoulder" but now ponding ... possible ... :( 

All Sioux fans are happy now, as I am.  I have to mention something that really bugs me.  Those posters who were so quick to be critical of Coach Berry's tournament performances should take a deep breath and be thankful that YOU didn't have to make any decisions toward the end of the game.  I was surprised by his pulling the goalie with so much time remaining, but when I read his explanation of why he did it, it made so much sense.  And to the comment about Hain not belonging on a top line: "How'd you like the ending?"

Let's all sit back and enjoy another playoff game and get ready for the future tilts that UND will be in.

Good luck to the boys and their coaches.

13 minutes ago, Old Barn Guy at Home said:

All Sioux fans are happy now, as I am.  I have to mention something that really bugs me.  Those posters who were so quick to be critical of Coach Berry's tournament performances should take a deep breath and be thankful that YOU didn't have to make any decisions toward the end of the game.  I was surprised by his pulling the goalie with so much time remaining, but when I read his explanation of why he did it, it made so much sense.  And to the comment about Hain not belonging on a top line: "How'd you like the ending?"

Let's all sit back and enjoy another playoff game and get ready for the future tilts that UND will be in.

Good luck to the boys and their coaches.

Remember who the poster was... especially after Bubbs...

41 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Thinking back to the CBSSN shot from the corner where he made the hit and and how he was holding that arm as he immediately went off I thought "shoulder" but now ponding ... possible ... :( 

Yes...I was "ponding" that as well.:whistling: