SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 Season

SWSiouxMN

I was impressed with women play tonight with exception of the turnovers you can't have minus 10 differential on turnovers and also not scoring in the paint but we had the shots there in the game but couldn't get them to go down. I wish we had another big girl to just to play a few minutes to give Lane just a little more rest. I think that is why we struggled offensively some in second half she was tired and it effected her shot and also her positioning for getting the basketball. Hoskins and Anderson will need to fill that roll as the season rolls along. This is such different team than last year overall play is up we should be one of teams in the middle of the conference by year end and that's if we stay healthy. This is team that could be contending in the Summit if they progress and add some more talent in next few years.

13 hours ago, farce poobah said:

How to kill off your basketball fans ... chapter 79:  schedule the in state rivalry games so they overlap and fans have to choose watching one or the other.  That fails marketing 101.  (There's a good case study there for an enterprising student...)

This is a league created issue, not a UND created issue. 

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

This is a league created issue, not a UND created issue. 

Probably half and half. Generally the conference sets the date and the home team sets the time. It would have been better for the games to be on different dates, but it's likely UND chose to start the game at 7 instead of 6(and then NDSU could have shifted the MBB game to 8). UND may have had very good reasons for doing so(and maybe unavoidable reasons for doing so), but it was almost certainly their call.

Have to keep building that depth.  I think they have a decent enough starting lineup but the depth isn't quite there yet.    Wonder how many of the current seniors will take advantage of their extra year?

Is Wallace expected back at some point?

It certainly has improved from last year, but curious to see how much better it will get.  The class next year really excites me.  That could be the one that really gets the program back.  

7 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

Probably half and half. Generally the conference sets the date and the home team sets the time. It would have been better for the games to be on different dates, but it's likely UND chose to start the game at 7 instead of 6(and then NDSU could have shifted the MBB game to 8). UND may have had very good reasons for doing so(and maybe unavoidable reasons for doing so), but it was almost certainly their call.

Guessing Midco (for UND) and WDAY (for NDSU) also have a say in the start times. 

Went to watch Mikayla Aumer with Cambridge Istanti play last night at a holiday tournament. She is a committed UND recruit. Sat down next to the first Fighting Hawks shirt I saw and it turned out it was John Motherwell (UND Asociate Head WBB Coach) he immediately introduced me to the person sitting next to him, his boss Mallory. We had a nice chat. They are super excited about the incoming recruits. Aumer had a poor game (19 points below her average) but you could tell when she was on the floor she was the leader. They came back late in the game and beat Alexandria. I also met her parents who were very pleasant and happy she has made her decision. 

• Upvote 1

also missing Anderson and Davis our 7 and 8 players off the bench. Also is Vanderwal out for the season or will she return before season end we could us another tall girl to just help for few minutes.  I thought this would be much closer game but missing these players has hurt in our rotations. Second is Orth has missed at least 6 bunny layups tonight which hasn't helped. South Dakota has showed why they are rated but i don't think this has been great effort on our part. I don't think we well prepared for this game at least we sure didn't have game plan to beat them from the game we played. This is not good way to start the conference season and my guess is South Dakota State is going to light us up come Saturday. I feel we can't match up with them size or quickness at all. I think we gave up in second half and i don't understand saving Leet because of her foul situation and then she ends up sitting on the bench with 3 fouls. I guess i am confused what the game plan was and use of the players available. I think Bernhard will need to explain what happened.

42 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

also missing Anderson and Davis our 7 and 8 players off the bench. Also is Vanderwal out for the season or will she return before season end we could us another tall girl to just help for few minutes.  I thought this would be much closer game but missing these players has hurt in our rotations. Second is Orth has missed at least 6 bunny layups tonight which hasn't helped. South Dakota has showed why they are rated but i don't think this has been great effort on our part. I don't think we well prepared for this game at least we sure didn't have game plan to beat them from the game we played. This is not good way to start the conference season and my guess is South Dakota State is going to light us up come Saturday. I feel we can't match up with them size or quickness at all. I think we gave up in second half and i don't understand saving Leet because of her foul situation and then she ends up sitting on the bench with 3 fouls. I guess i am confused what the game plan was and use of the players available. I think Bernhard will need to explain what happened.

Game plan healthy players.  Capt obvious.

Women's team similar to the men's....too many D2 players thrust into D1 minutes. 3 starters last night fall into this category.

If you're trying to make an example out of your best player in a game you're going to get whacked in for whatever reason........

Battling an injury again?

UND has to figure out how to handle the basketball.  Forget the shooting and rebounding for just a second.  Handle the basketball.

Look at the first quarter.  They gave up 12 points off of turnovers.  12!!!! 

26-11 difference in the first quarter because of that. 

17 turnovers, you can't do that against USD. 

That alone wouldn't have made a difference in this game, but look what happened against NDSU.  If they take care of the ball in that game, they win. 

15 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Went to watch Mikayla Aumer with Cambridge Istanti play last night at a holiday tournament. She is a committed UND recruit. Sat down next to the first Fighting Hawks shirt I saw and it turned out it was John Motherwell (UND Asociate Head WBB Coach) he immediately introduced me to the person sitting next to him, his boss Mallory. We had a nice chat. They are super excited about the incoming recruits. Aumer had a poor game (19 points below her average) but you could tell when she was on the floor she was the leader. They came back late in the game and beat Alexandria. I also met her parents who were very pleasant and happy she has made her decision. 

I can't wait to see these recruits next year.  This could be the one that turns it around.  

• Upvote 1

I do believe we are recruiting better talent but one year's recruits won't suddenly turn us into contender in the summit. We have to have improvement of the players that are on the team now with additional talent to become a factor in the conference. We can't keep having years where we our loosing players to injury and expect to put quality team on the floor. Last night we are missing Anderson, Davis, Vanderwal, Wallace, and Gordon off the roster and i believe these are all scholarship players. That is 1/3 of our team and then we had Borowicz sitting for both of the opening haves we expect to compete with one top teams in mid major program. The next thing is probably won't have the services of Lane now for several weeks after injuring her ankle. Then we have Leet who picked up her third foul in third quarter trying to protect her we sit her but at time were down 20 points what do we have to loose if not try to let her play with the fouls but instead we protect her and then were down 30+ points by time she gets back in but then were trying to press where she not fast enough to play so she ends sitting for most of 4 quarter on the bench especially when were shorthanded for the game.  The game management of this game stunk from the very beginning and i hope they look at this film of this game and not only from what players did but how they coached the game because there are alot of things they could learn about themselves. The other thing last night was we missed i don't know how many layups and not by younger players by leadership like Orth.  Finally, one last thing i will say is we are terribly undersized in height and also physical strength to like of South Dakota. I look at their girl's size and lower body strength we look like children out there to bunch of adults. I will say with the above complaints were improved over last year but i think we need to address these areas plus number of other areas if were going to improve this team.  I still believe Bernhard is learning and i think she can get the job done but she needs to be more open to public getting fans informed on what they are doing right and wrong. I look at her counter part at South Dakota you can go see her news conferences after the games plus her coaches show and she tells more in her one public appearance than Bernhard puts forth in whole season.  Then look how the fan base follows this team and invested in them something to learn from.