SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 Season

SWSiouxMN

We only loose Leet for next year and Lane returns next year. I hope that Vanderwal can replace Leet next year but we won't know until then with them trying to redshirt her this year. They have been playing 8 girls lately with varying degree of times depending on teams they are playing and foul trouble they have been in. Today they played percentages by slowing down the possessions in the fourth quarter but it also got them out their rhythm offensively and depleted their lead. It worked but i have seen where this can lead to disaster and it takes very good teams to execute this style of play. If they can get sweep next weekend UND going through first half of conference season would have secured the third place in conference standings.

Allowing Kacie to play her game from the point has opened it up on the inside for Lett and Lane. Makes the half court sets easier to run. Lots of catch and shoot opportunities on inside out passing for the wings as well. Need to have Manson and/or Orth start knocking down wide open 3s. Good weekend for this team.

The one thing I like about our starters:  Manson and Orth struggled today, but Leet goes and drops 22 to help them out.  There has been times where if one starter struggles, the others are there to pick up the slack. 

A healthy Kacie has been a breath of fresh air for UND.  The only complaint right now is the turnovers.  Try to cut them down to around 3 a game.  

There will be a ceiling to this team due to the depth issue (particular from the scoring side of things).  Daninger is a solid reserve that can do a bit of everything.  Take today: She didn't score, but had 7 rebounds, 5 assists, and 2 blocks.  That is very invaluable to have. She is the best scoring option off of the bench.  It might be another year before a nice bench gets developed. A healthy Gordon, Anderson, and the incoming freshman class should help with that. 

Big weekend coming up with Oral Roberts and Kansas City at home.  Get them both and you are 6-3 in conference play.  However, they will be tough matchups. 

12 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Lett 22...career high

Borowicz 19

Lane 17 and 13 boards

This is probably the best stretch of basketball Leet has played in her career.  St. Thomas had no answer for her inside and if she start to consistently hit those shots from outside (and from 15-17 feet), forget it. 

I'm really glad the AD kept Mel.  That was a gutsy decision after last season.  The team lost quite a few close games or some just got out of hand towards the end of the game.  Some players Hurt or covid and many Young.  Mel and assts coaches are very good recruiters.  The team is developing nicely even with a thin bench.

• Upvote 4

On 1/15/2022 at 4:08 PM, SiouxFan100 said:

Juliet Gordon a redshirt this year? She should help next year.

didn’t realize lane returns

that with the better recruiting puts the program on a positive path

Cant Lane and Borowicz play two more seasons with covid?   Any word on if they decided to play that extra year?  

I have been probably one the hardest critics of the coaching decision.  With that being said I am taking it back.  I was very skeptical of the hire because the previous season.  In the off season I seen coach Bernards ability to recruit good players to UND, but I was still out on the coaching. 

Watching this years team is like night and day.  The defense has improved significantly.  The girls are all passing and looking for cutting open teammates.  BUT the biggest thing I have seen is how much better Melissa Leet is playing.  Its like I have said the last 4 years is someone needs to work with her and make her a dominant center.   

To many times I seen her thinking she was Shaq swatting balls out of play and ending up with fouls.  Or standing outside the three point line.  Finally her senior season I see her making herself big with hands in the area not trying to block every shot on defense.  She makes herself available down and takes it to hoop.  I can only say it has to be coaching because I didnt see any of that out of her the first 4 years. 

Much improved team and its showing on the court.   I am excited for the future, especially for the recruits coming in next year.  

I too was skeptical of Bernhard in that i thought she had the ability but i didn't think she had enough head coaching experience but she has proven me wrong which i very happy that i was. The program is headed in right direction and if recruits that she has recruited live up to expectations UND could become a factor in next year so of the conference. South Dakota team with 3 five year players returning this year and their history of being good team i believe will be nearly impossible to upset this year. South Dakota state is also very good team year but i do feel given right night we could be able to beat them. Their team has very deep line up but difference this year is Selland is playing hurt and is not the player she was last year. The rest teams now in Summit conference i believe if we play our game we can defeat. This is quite turn around from last year where we struggled to just win a game or two in the Summit.

Why would you say that? I have to believe she has to like the position she is on this team as leader and style of play they are playing suits her game. Then add in there beginning to win. I know there was something happen in her not starting but i would find that hard to believe she would want to transfer only that. I may be wrong on this but going else where i would believe be bad move on her part and i think she has opportunity to play in big dance before her career is over here at North Dakota.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

Why would you say that? I have to believe she has to like the position she is on this team as leader and style of play they are playing suits her game. Then add in there beginning to win. I know there was something happen in her not starting but i would find that hard to believe she would want to transfer only that. I may be wrong on this but going else where i would believe be bad move on her part and i think she has opportunity to play in big dance before her career is over here at North Dakota.

South Dakota st probably snatch her up