SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GeauxSioux

Best Sioux hockey memories

Does anyone have one or both games of the January 31-February 1, 1997 home series vs. Minnesota? That was a crucial series in the Dean Blais rebuilding project. It solidified us as a legitimate title contender and not a first-half fluke. The entire campus was buzzing about the series the week before and the atmosphere was unreal.

The Gofers are in town to take on the Sioux at beautiful REA in October of 2009. Alex Kangas in goal for Minny; Brad Eidsness backstopping the Sioux.  Apparently Lucia felt this was still a 'healthy' rivalry at this point.;)

• Upvote 2

October 2004 at the REA...The dirty Gofers are in town but the Sioux are missing Zach Parise and Brandon Bochenski (early signings).  Dean Blais is gone as well and has been replaced by Dave Hakstol.  Will the Sioux have enough firepower to beat the rodents?  We'll see!

Note:  If you watch the second intermission, there's a point where the camera pans the crowd after coming back after a commercial.  It shows some young punks in the crowd goofing around and wrestling with each other.  The blonde kid sure looks like a young TJ Oshie.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Blackheart said:

The Gofers are in town to take on the Sioux at beautiful REA in October of 2009. Alex Kangas in goal for Minny; Brad Eidsness backstopping the Sioux.  Apparently Lucia felt this was still a 'healthy' rivalry at this point.;)

Watched this today. Pretty awesome display by our men! The home crowd seemed to do more cheering back then.

thanks for posting!

48 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Watched this today. Pretty awesome display by our men! The home crowd seemed to do more cheering back then.

thanks for posting!

You’re welcome!

23 hours ago, Blackheart said:

My first hockey game was that night, as a freshman in the student section.

Made that ticket campout for season tickets worth it (although that campout was a massive cluster****)

• Upvote 1

Two familiar rivals playing in the Final Five 3rd place game?  The Sioux look to beat the Gofers and solidify their seeding for the NCAA's.  Rastislav Spirko absolutely fakes Chris Harrington out of his jock on his way to a huge shorthanded goal.  No Robbie Bina in the lineup as he was injured in the previous night's game against DU. (Geoff Paukovich)  It's all here!

• Upvote 2

It's been great, blackheart.   Thanks again.  Who would have thought UND would win all these big games in March-May of the same year. 

I would guess it's somewhere back in this thread, but can someone post the tic-tac-toe play?  I've seen more amazing individual plays but never a team play like that.  At any level. 

• Upvote 1

The Pony Express looks to deliver the mail against Goldy Gofer in this Saturday night matchup.  Game played in January, 2011 at REA.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, burd said:

It's been great, blackheart.   Thanks again.  Who would have thought UND would win all these big games in March-May of the same year. 

I would guess it's somewhere back in this thread, but can someone post the tic-tac-toe play?  I've seen more amazing individual plays but never a team play like that.  At any level. 

Here you go...

• Upvote 1

The Sioux face the Gofers at REA in December of 2007.  Pretty tight throughout...hope the Sioux get a late period surge!

• Upvote 3

The Sioux take on Bucky Badger in the play-in game during the 2005 WCHA Final Five tourney. Jordan Parise in goal for North Dakota; Bernd (Toast) Bruckler mans the net for Sconny.  Robbie Earl for the Badgers up for all conference honors...for the Dive team!:D

• Upvote 1

The Sioux face off against UMD's Bulldogs in the WCHA Final Five Play-in game. A tightly contested game throughout; who will step up for the Sioux?

• Upvote 2

The Sioux, fresh off their win over Duluth in the play-in game, take on Furious George and DU Pioneers in the Semifinals of the 2010 WCHA Final 5.

• Upvote 3

The Sioux play their 3rd game in 3 days at the 2010 WCHA Final Five. They face the SCSU Huskies in the title game and they appear to be a little sleepy in the first minute of play. Brad Eidsness shakes off a rough start to lead the boys to a strong finish. Enjoy!

• Upvote 2

The Sioux cap off the tourney with Chris Vande Velde named player of the game and Evan Trupp MVP of the Final Five. All tourney team named as well.

• Upvote 2

The Sioux take on the Gofs at Mariucci Arena February 1, 2008. I was lucky enough to attend this game in person; what a great atmosphere for a college hockey game. (back when fans actually showed up for Gofer hockey) Evan Trupp with an amazing play to quiet the Minny faithful.

Note: The last 6:43 of the second period somehow got deleted/taped over; apologies!

• Upvote 3

So the Saturday game after Trupp's game winning goal, the teams play to a seemingly innocent 1-1 tie. With 3 seconds left in OT, the teams have a faceoff just outside the Minnesota zone. Looks like this game's pretty much over except for the final horn and a sportsmanlike handshake.

Note:  I love how the Gofer announcers attribute all the goonery to UND; their Golden boys certainly wouldn't be at all to blame for the dustup.:D

• Upvote 2

I was at the game when DU was in town and Radke got in 2 fights in 1game (against Vossberg and Testuide I think) was a total blast and the crowd went nuts

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Blackheart said:

So the Saturday game after Trupp's game winning goal, the teams play to a seemingly innocent 1-1 tie. With 3 seconds left in OT, the teams have a faceoff just outside the Minnesota zone. Looks like this game's pretty much over except for the final horn and a sportsmanlike handshake.

Note:  I love how the Gofer announcers attribute all the goonery to UND; their Golden boys certainly wouldn't be at all to blame for the dustup.:D

All set up by gopher guy getting his knee on Oshie.  I thought Wooger would have picked up on it after the replay, but obviously it was just Zajac making good on the bounty on......(checks notes) RJ Anderson????

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

All set up by gopher guy getting his knee on Oshie.  I thought Wooger would have picked up on it after the replay, but obviously it was just Zajac making good on the bounty on......(checks notes) RJ Anderson????

You can't put a bounty on a man's head!;)

The house of horrors continues for Doug Woog and the Gofers as their visit to the Old Ralph is highlighted by a four goal performance by Jeff Panzer. Don't have the whole game but did catch his final goal.

• Upvote 1

On 6/3/2020 at 9:05 AM, Blackheart said:

The house of horrors continues for Doug Woog and the Gofers as their visit to the Old Ralph is highlighted by a four goal performance by Jeff Panzer. Don't have the whole game but did catch his final goal.

And in today's world that's reviewed and likely a no goal.  

On 6/3/2020 at 9:05 AM, Blackheart said:

It was absolutely nuts in that building! The atmosphere was awesome.