SiouxSports.com Forum

Best Sioux hockey memories

GeauxSioux

11 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Here's the 3rd period comeback...man did Travis Roche have a bomb for a shot! (OT not included)

That was a memorable weekend indeed.   

The first WCHA Final Five in the brand new Excel Center.  I had never been in an arena that nice, and wouldn't get to one better for about oh 7 months when the new Ralph opened.

During the Friday afternoon semifinal win over CC,  Karl Goehring did a header on a floating puck. 

And on Saturday night with about 6 minutes left on the clock and UND way down, my very confident 8 year old daughter said "I think we will win.  We have Panzer."   

And yeah she thought the goalie was pushed too.   Mad about that for a couple days.    

• Upvote 2

On 5/13/2020 at 4:12 PM, Blackheart said:

Here's the 3rd period comeback...man did Travis Roche have a bomb for a shot! (OT not included)

How good are those jersey/breezer/helmets combo.

Crazy to think Panzer and crew played at Xcel while with the Sioux. Building doesn't seem that old!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChadR said:

How good are those jersey/breezer/helmets combo.

Crazy to think Panzer and crew played at Xcel while with the Sioux. Building doesn't seem that old!

Would have been nice if they could have played that first year at the new REA...that was a rough one.

• Upvote 3

Does anyone have one or both games of the January 31-February 1, 1997 home series vs. Minnesota? That was a crucial series in the Dean Blais rebuilding project. It solidified us as a legitimate title contender and not a first-half fluke. The entire campus was buzzing about the series the week before and the atmosphere was unreal.

The Gofers are in town to take on the Sioux at beautiful REA in October of 2009. Alex Kangas in goal for Minny; Brad Eidsness backstopping the Sioux.  Apparently Lucia felt this was still a 'healthy' rivalry at this point.;)

• Upvote 2

October 2004 at the REA...The dirty Gofers are in town but the Sioux are missing Zach Parise and Brandon Bochenski (early signings).  Dean Blais is gone as well and has been replaced by Dave Hakstol.  Will the Sioux have enough firepower to beat the rodents?  We'll see!

Note:  If you watch the second intermission, there's a point where the camera pans the crowd after coming back after a commercial.  It shows some young punks in the crowd goofing around and wrestling with each other.  The blonde kid sure looks like a young TJ Oshie.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Blackheart said:

The Gofers are in town to take on the Sioux at beautiful REA in October of 2009. Alex Kangas in goal for Minny; Brad Eidsness backstopping the Sioux.  Apparently Lucia felt this was still a 'healthy' rivalry at this point.;)

Watched this today. Pretty awesome display by our men! The home crowd seemed to do more cheering back then.

thanks for posting!

23 hours ago, Blackheart said:

My first hockey game was that night, as a freshman in the student section.

Made that ticket campout for season tickets worth it (although that campout was a massive cluster****)

• Upvote 1

Two familiar rivals playing in the Final Five 3rd place game?  The Sioux look to beat the Gofers and solidify their seeding for the NCAA's.  Rastislav Spirko absolutely fakes Chris Harrington out of his jock on his way to a huge shorthanded goal.  No Robbie Bina in the lineup as he was injured in the previous night's game against DU. (Geoff Paukovich)  It's all here!

• Upvote 2

It's been great, blackheart.   Thanks again.  Who would have thought UND would win all these big games in March-May of the same year. 

I would guess it's somewhere back in this thread, but can someone post the tic-tac-toe play?  I've seen more amazing individual plays but never a team play like that.  At any level. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, burd said:

It's been great, blackheart.   Thanks again.  Who would have thought UND would win all these big games in March-May of the same year. 

I would guess it's somewhere back in this thread, but can someone post the tic-tac-toe play?  I've seen more amazing individual plays but never a team play like that.  At any level. 

Here you go...

• Upvote 1

The Sioux take on Bucky Badger in the play-in game during the 2005 WCHA Final Five tourney. Jordan Parise in goal for North Dakota; Bernd (Toast) Bruckler mans the net for Sconny.  Robbie Earl for the Badgers up for all conference honors...for the Dive team!:D

• Upvote 1

The Sioux play their 3rd game in 3 days at the 2010 WCHA Final Five. They face the SCSU Huskies in the title game and they appear to be a little sleepy in the first minute of play. Brad Eidsness shakes off a rough start to lead the boys to a strong finish. Enjoy!

• Upvote 2