SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 National Pairwise National Champion University of North Dakota Fighting Hawks

Frozen4sioux

Exactly how was a national champion crowned since 1869.

The precedent is LOOOONG established that there has been and could be a National Champion awarded, claimed, shared even.

To negate 150 years of collegiate athletic history is as foolish today as hoarding toilet paper.

10000% UMtc / Jan Brady I and II / many others would have draped a banner already.

Plus.

It just pisses into the cheerios and sets off the crazy triggers of almost everyone who hates UND hockey.

Im as disappointed as the next person, but presuming a 9th banner because we were number 1 in the pairwise is way too participation trophy for me, frankly it seems like something Mankato would do.

we had a great season but there is no national champ. Disappointing, but let’s not resort to being that pathetic fan base. There are enough others out there.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

it sucks no doubt, but we are right there often; sucks more for teams that don't have our sustained success. not gonna dwell on it, and hopefully we pick up where we left off next year.

Decision to cancel was made for the right reasons and it sucks, but it sucks for everybody.  #9 would have been nice, but it is what it is.

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Im as disappointed as the next person, but presuming a 9th banner because we were number 1 in the pairwise is way too participation trophy for me, frankly it seems like something Mankato would do.

we had a great season but there is no national champ. Disappointing, but let’s not resort to being that pathetic fan base. There are enough others out there.

To be fair, Pretty much a lot of the fans of top teams have been claiming the championship for their team. I’ve seen it from both Cornell and Duluth fans.  So everyone looks pathetic. 

I even saw a tweet from a Duluth player essentially making the claim. I’m guessing he just worded it badly. (Or my reading comprehension skills suck today) It was a tough day for everyone. 

I think everyone just needs time to process. The crazies will crazy either way. 

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

To be fair, Pretty much a lot of the fans of top teams have been claiming the championship for their team. I’ve seen it from both Cornell and Duluth fans.  So everyone looks pathetic. 

I even saw a tweet from a Duluth player essentially making the claim. I’m guessing he just worded it badly. (Or my reading comprehension skills suck today) It was a tough day for everyone. 

I think everyone just needs time to process. The crazies will crazy either way. 

I'll say that I haven't seen or heard a single msu fan claiming anything. Everyone is either in the boat of a) upset that we still cant get the first tournament win or b) sick for the seniors that passed up pro contracts for the chance to win the tourney.

This was probably the best of all the hastings teams. I would have loved to see msu and und square off one more time. It would have been a good one.

7 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Calm down.  It's a joke.  Or maybe a coping device to deal with the season being cancelled.  Relax.  We are all just having fun here!

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Calm down.  It's a joke.  Or maybe a coping device to deal with the season being cancelled.  Relax.  We are all just having fun here!

This!  I mean how many banners would St Clown have if all you needed to win the title was to be #1 in Pairwise or the tourneys top seed?:D

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Joke or no joke....it's a poor thread title.  Sadly enough, there are quite a few posters on here that believe we should hang #9.  At first I thought Lake/Chapo started this thread.

• Upvote 2

It’s a pain without a doubt. Incredible season with many accolades that our men have to call their own.. hoping it serves as a catalyst to come back next year and make yet another mark on our program’s history.

On another note, I did receive this last evening. Old rivalry at work. Joking or not, at least there are other ways to humor each other amongst all else going on in the world around us.

2DCB1A7E-6FE6-4D5A-9151-002F3F4AF88D.jpeg

1 hour ago, Sioux27 said:

Joke or no joke....it's a poor thread title.  Sadly enough, there are quite a few posters on here that believe we should hang #9. 

How many times has UND Hockey been ...AT the end of the year, the best team in collegiate hockey. 

Based on the system in place, which is scientific and non-arbitrary....

No tourney ...so be it, can only control the things that they can control.

The answer is 9.

9 times.

A scientific based system used to rank teams and declare a champion, is UNARGUABLY superior to the 100 years of subjective political selection of a College Football national champion.

Tournaments are better but in that absence..... precedent is well founded.

2020 National Champions.jpg

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

A scientific based system used to rank teams and declare a champion, is UNARGUABLY superior to the 100 years of subjective political selection of a College Football national champion.

Tournaments are better but in that absence..... precedent is well founded.

2020 National Champions.jpg

This is hockey...no tourney, no title!

Without green glasses, what would you say the odds were that UND would have won it this year?  These one and done tourneys are so unpredictable as we all know.

I say they had a 50-50 shot of winning it all.  Other teams I think had a great shot this year:  UMD, Mankato, BC

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Without green glasses, what would you say the odds were that UND would have won it this year?  These one and done tourneys are so unpredictable as we all know.

I say they had a 50-50 shot of winning it all.  Other teams I think had a great shot this year:  UMD, Mankato, BC

I would think they would have had at least a 1 in 16 chance. 

12 hours ago, bale31 said:

I'll say that I haven't seen or heard a single msu fan claiming anything. Everyone is either in the boat of a) upset that we still cant get the first tournament win or b) sick for the seniors that passed up pro contracts for the chance to win the tourney.

This was probably the best of all the hastings teams. I would have loved to see msu and und square off one more time. It would have been a good one.

A mavs fan on twitter replied to Jake Brandt's tweet and said Mavs should get it because they have 31 wins

1 hour ago, ChrisUND1 said:

I want to say 50-50, but in reality it is probably 1 in 3 chance. 

32 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Very hard pass. UND fans will know and remember this season. Don’t need some nonsense banner to remind us as this is something we will all remember and reflect on what could’ve been. Penrose Cup is the only banner that should be hung.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Very hard pass. UND fans will know and remember this season. Don’t need some nonsense banner to remind us as this is something we will all remember and reflect on what could’ve been. Penrose Cup is the only banner that should be hung.

Current UND fans will remember, yes.
But what about new fans or young fans or future students?