SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 National Pairwise National Champion University of North Dakota Fighting Hawks

Frozen4sioux

3 hours ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Without green glasses, what would you say the odds were that UND would have won it this year?  These one and done tourneys are so unpredictable as we all know.

I say they had a 50-50 shot of winning it all.  Other teams I think had a great shot this year:  UMD, Mankato, BC

I’ll go with 22.68%

game1:  90%

game2:  70%

game3:  60%

game4:  60%

Maybe Jim Dahl can run his simulations using the top 16 and see how often UND wins. 

2020 could have ended like 2016. But it also could have ended like 2011. Both those years, UND was the best team in college hockey entering the tournament. The tournament is so unpredictable. Sometimes the best team wins. Sometimes the overall 1 seed loses in the first game to the 16 seed!  While expectations were high for this team to hang 9, there certainly wasn’t any guarantee. 

No need for banners recognizing this season. There are plenty of other great seasons UND hockey has had where there is no banner.  This is just another one of those years. 

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Very hard pass. UND fans will know and remember this season. Don’t need some nonsense banner to remind us as this is something we will all remember and reflect on what could’ve been. Penrose Cup is the only banner that should be hung.

I tend to lean this way also.   Hanging a banner this year would be like hanging one in previous years such as 2011.  UND was the best team by far that year, but got beat by Michigan in that infamous Frozen Four game.   This year, UND got beat by COVID-19.  The Penrose white banner is a great accomplishment. 

34 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Hanging a banner this year would be like hanging one in previous years such as 2011.  

... or 1999. 

But those teams had a chance, a shot, and wasted it -- no banner. 

This team never got that shot. 

That's why I think a black banner: To mourn what might have been. 

If we hang a 2020 banner, it would become the most noticeable and talked about banner for years to come and would eventually be taken down. 
Other school fans would poke fun of it and TV cameras would occasionally zoom in on it, all taking away from the real eight banners.
Keep all attention on the eight.

Just can't wait till we tie Michigan with a real one.

There was no NCAA title to win so a team puts up an ‘at the top at the end’ banner: happened in football all the time before playoffs. 

I'm not saying claim it as ‘number nine’, but to remember what could have been but was never given a chance. 

The Black Season   .... sponsored by ... :glare:   :(

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, brianvf said:

No...just no.  Banners  are for winning on the ice; not for being #1 in some ranking.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

This is something I’d be ok with. All new fans etc. will be able to say “why is that banner black while the rest are white?” Story mode activated.

Exactly. Hopefully we'll hang plenty of new white banners after this year. However, the 2020 season doesn't belong with the green ones.

11 hours ago, Fader said:

Pretty interesting...Maybe we can hang a banner if UND wins the computer simulated tournament.  It could say “2020 Computer Simulation Champs” and have it all written in binary code.;)

1 minute ago, Blackheart said:

Pretty interesting...Maybe we can hang a banner if UND wins the computer simulated tournament.  It could say “2020 Computer Simulation Champs” and have it all written in binary code.;)

What color will the banner be?

No banner. But make a display case type-thing in the hallway somewhere to acknowledge the great team, the 'what if', and to document the historic nature of these crazy times we live in. Would be interesting reading 50 years from now.  

• Upvote 3