SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 National Pairwise National Champion University of North Dakota Fighting Hawks

Frozen4sioux

The NC$$ has blessed the pairwise system as a means of selection and seeding the tournament.  It is based on a complete seasons body of work.

Therefore, if you are not going to play the tournament then you should award the championship to the team that would have been the #1 overall seed.  

UND was also #1 in KRACH.  

Congratulations to the University of North Dakota players and coaches winning the 2020 national title. 

• Upvote 2

Would love to see the Engelstads sponsor an invitational at the REA if things have settled before May.  A 2020 tournament of champions.  Invite each of the six league champs.

1 UND and 2 Mankato get byes to the semis.  3 Cornell vs 6 American International and 4 Boston College vs 5 Penn State in the quarterfinal.  Play it over Friday night, Saturday night and Monday night final and donate profits to an appropriate cause.  It wouldn't be an NCAA title, but it would be some closure to the season.  Maybe throw in the Hobey annoucement at the same time since there won't be a Frozen Four.  Have Hoeven lean on the NCAA is some sort of exemption is needed to allow it.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, southpaw said:

I've seen a lot of posts on social media saying UND deserves the title. Imagine if this had happened last year and St. Cloud had declared themselves the national champs. We would have mocked them endlessly.

Claiming to be "national champions" this year is no different than all the Pre-College Football Playoff "national champions". It's just like MLB in 1994, no champion this year.

So Florida State received the ACC Tournament Championship trophy today when the ACC Tournament was cancelled. I though Schloss tweeted that after the cancelled the NCHC tournament and before they cancelled the MCAA tournament, that UND would be getting the auto bid. Does that mean UND is gou 2020 NCHC Tournament Champions?  Do we get the Frozen Faceoff Trophy?  Honest question. 

2 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So Florida State received the ACC Tournament Championship trophy today when the ACC Tournament was cancelled. I though Schloss tweeted that after the cancelled the NCHC tournament and before they cancelled the MCAA tournament, that UND would be getting the auto bid. Does that mean UND is gou 2020 NCHC Tournament Champions?  Do we get the Frozen Faceoff Trophy?  Honest question. 

No

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

I've seen a lot of posts on social media saying UND deserves the title. Imagine if this had happened last year and St. Cloud had declared themselves the national champs. We would have mocked them endlessly.

Agreed. As much as I think UND would’ve made a deep run this year, there’s no guarantee they would’ve won so I’d rather not be awarded the championship with an asterisk and be the center of mockery and ridicule by others for years to come. Just leave this year be vacant as far as I’m concerned. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

Would love to see the Engelstads sponsor an invitational at the REA if things have settled before May.  A 2020 tournament of champions.  Invite each of the six league champs.

1 UND and 2 Mankato get byes to the semis.  3 Cornell vs 6 American International and 4 Boston College vs 5 Penn State in the quarterfinal.  Play it over Friday night, Saturday night and Monday night final and donate profits to an appropriate cause.  It wouldn't be an NCAA title, but it would be some closure to the season.  Maybe throw in the Hobey annoucement at the same time since there won't be a Frozen Four.  Have Hoeven lean on the NCAA is some sort of exemption is needed to allow it.

There is going to be no sports programming in early April.  Hopefully this can happen, but doubt it.

17 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

This thread alone is absurd. We deserve to be mocked for it. 

I think the thread is tongue in cheek and more so for coping purposes in regards to what happened. Don’t think anyone is actually being 100% serious....you do you though. Everyone reacts in different ways.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

it sucks no doubt, but we are right there often; sucks more for teams that don't have our sustained success. not gonna dwell on it, and hopefully we pick up where we left off next year.

Yep. We'll pick up where we left off next year. We have some good players returning and some good ones coming in.