SiouxSports.com Forum

Brewster Fired

SWSiouxMN

I don't think cupboard is bare at all this team overall has a lot of talent and were a lot better than most people think. With the right coaching this could be a team that is contending even next year with addition of player or two. Contrary to what people think we do have long lean forwards on this team Megan Zander, Fleecs, Lane, Jarnot, and Orth plus we have Leet very capable center and Vanloo a project but shows potential if they could work on her for speed and quickness. I think she could become player that could become good center and physical presence on this team. The smaller guards can play at this level and if used correctly could become quite offensive weapon for this team. Look at NDSU how poorly they looked last year and how much they improved under this coach this year and now think of this team they are much more talented than overall I believe than NDSU was last year and with right coaching how far they could progress. Then add in couple of new players to fill in our weaknesses this team could have fast turn around. The big key will be keeping these girls here and so finding new coach that they can buy into now is quite important. I am impressed with Chaves I didn't know if he would be willing to make  the change because its always hard letting people go that have been here long time and have done good things for the University. I think it will be good for both UND and Brewster I have thought for several years his heart was not here to coach anymore for what ever reasons. This was good time for a change.

• Upvote 2

Just now, ND-fan said:

I don't think cupboard is bare at all this team overall has a lot of talent and were a lot better than most people think. With the right coaching this could be a team that is contending even next year with addition of player or two. Contrary to what people think we do have long lean forwards on this team Megan Zander, Fleecs, Lane, Jarnot, and Orth plus we have Leet very capable center and Vanloo a project but shows potential if they could work on her for speed and quickness. I think she could become player that could become good center and physical presence on this team. The smaller guards can play at this level and if used correctly could become quite offensive weapon for this team. Look at NDSU how poorly they looked last year and how much they improved under this coach this year and now think of this team they are much more talented than overall I believe than NDSU was last year and with right coaching how far they could progress. Then add in couple of new players to fill in our weaknesses this team could have fast turn around. The big key will be keeping these girls here and so finding new coach that they can buy into now is quite important. I am impressed with Chaves I didn't know if he would be willing to make  the change because its always hard letting people go that have been here long time and have done good things for the University. I think it will be good for both UND and Brewster I have thought for several years his heart was not here to coach anymore for what ever reasons. This was good time for a change.

It helps that Chaves didn't hire Brewster.

10 minutes ago, Kab said:

Most times it seems when people are let go it ends up being best for both parties

always hard tho

does Brewster have family in GF or was he single, always hard on the family

Wife and three kids. 

It was time for a change, and I applaud Chaves for acting promptly, but Brew is a good guy.  I feel for him and his family.  I would think he could land a DII head job or a DI assistant position. 

2 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

Wife and three kids. 

It was time for a change, and I applaud Chaves for acting promptly, but Brew is a good guy.  I feel for him and his family.  I would think he could land a DII head job or a DI assistant position. 

I wish him and his family well and hope that he finds a good landing place soon.

23 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

Wife and three kids. 

https://dakotastudent.com/12553/sports/the-big-move/

Im not sure hes a good guy. The actions that are described dont show that. The fact that someone finally came forward with these probably means there were more that didn't want the unnecessary attention. I get that it is one persons word against someone elses but Fallyn also put her name on it and hasnt backed down on it. 

7 minutes ago, dougjudy69 said:

Im not sure hes a good guy. The actions that are described dont show that. The fact that someone finally came forward with these probably means there were more that didn't want the unnecessary attention. I get that it is one persons word against someone elses but Fallyn also put her name on it and hasnt backed down on it. 

I'm with ya here 100%. I've heard from numerous people like 10-12 that he is not the type of person you want leading a program. Always feel for someone when they lose their job, but remember he is getting $80k as a parting gift and that is more than most make in a year.....

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

I'm with ya here 100%. I've heard from numerous people like 10-12 that he is not the type of person you want leading a program. Always feel for someone when they lose their job, but remember he is getting $80k as a parting gift and that is more than most make in a year.....

If it wasn't true, some former players would come out and say it wasn't. No one did that. 

Yeah $80k to go away, im not heartbroken for him after under performing for years. 

Edited by dougjudy69
more words

4 hours ago, northernraider said:

Kinda of a weak tweet suggesting that UND should have kept him because "he went to the NCAA in 2014"

Would you feel better if he ripped him?  Brewster is gone, no reason to kick a dead horse. Heinert’s tweet suggests nothing of keeping him for any reason. It lists the highlights under Brewster.  That is what a journalist should do. Fans should understand that and move on. The focus should be on what’s best for the program and how the hire the next coach. Chaves seems to know what he is doing. 

• Upvote 1

In Sioux Falls, I had a conversation with two long time UND fans who followed the basketball program.  This was before the mens game against USD but after the women's game against SDSU.  We talked about how not only how the team didn't seem to improve as the year went along, but one of them mentioned that there was years where there the teams were really good but then would be some internal issues that would prevent the team from meeting the ultimate goal.

The thing I had with Brew is this:  He led a team to the NCAA tournament.  He won 2 regular season Big Sky titles.  However it just felt like there should have been way more that this.  The talent was there to make deep runs in the BSC, they could have made the NCAAs a few more times.   The flameouts in 2015 and 2016 in the BSC tourney stick out to me where the door was open to make the NCAA tournament again.... and they lost to teams they had no business losing to. 

I thank him for what he has done, but it was time for a change in the program to start putting it back to where it should be: Competing for Summit League championships with the SoDak schools and making NCAA tournaments. 

1 hour ago, dougjudy69 said:

Impressive piece by the student journalist. Hopefully positive change with a good group of freshmen and new coach can get things back on track quickly. Wilkie probably would have done well had he stayed but it worked out for him. Fallyn needed to get away and flourished. I think her recent interviews and lack of improvement from start to finish were the keys factors in Chaves decision. Need to get new hire quickly to set a new positive culture in place. All of this is fodder for opposing teams to use in the recruiting battles. 

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

Impressive piece by the student journalist. Hopefully positive change with a good group of freshmen and new coach can get things back on track quickly. Wilkie probably would have done well had he stayed but it worked out for him. Fallyn needed to get away and flourished. I think her recent interviews and lack of improvement from start to finish were the keys factors in Chaves decision. Need to get new hire quickly to set a new positive culture in place. All of this is fodder for opposing teams to use in the recruiting battles. 

Wow, that is a damning article.

I don't follow womens basketball outside of UND, but one would think any successful NSIC head coach would looked at pretty hard.

Tom Miller was interviewed on Dom Izzos radio show this morning, and he mentioned Rico Burkett and Thomas Dryburgh as potential candidates based on ties to UND.  Rico is an assistant at Colorado St right now, and Dryburgh is head coach at Wahpeton.  

Dryburgh has an outstanding HC record, bit I would think that would be a big jump from JuCo to DI.

8 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

I don't follow womens basketball outside of UND, but one would think any successful NSIC head coach would looked at pretty hard.

Tom Miller was interviewed on Dom Izzos radio show this morning, and he mentioned Rico Burkett and Thomas Dryburgh as potential candidates based on ties to UND.  Rico is an assistant at Colorado St right now, and Dryburgh is head coach at Wahpeton.  

Dryburgh has an outstanding HC record, bit I would think that would be a big jump from JuCo to DI.

Burkett is an interesting name.  Pretty solid coaching background.

• 3 years later...